What's a new grad making in private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobBarker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between ER and anesthesia. I know how much fresh grads in my state are making for 14 12 hour shifts/month in ER (360K plus benefits for the biggest ER group in Oklahoma). What's a new gas grad making?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm torn between ER and anesthesia. I know how much fresh grads in my state are making for 14 12 hour shifts/month in ER (360K plus benefits for the biggest ER group in Oklahoma). What's a new gas grad making?

Go into er....PLEASE, there are very many peopel who actually want to go into anesthesia for more than just the money.

Go into er....PLEASE, there are very many peopel who actually want to go into anesthesia for more than just the money.

This isn't the pediatrics board so I didn't expect comments like this. If two things are close to equal why not try to use salary as a difference maker?

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't the pediatrics board so I didn't expect comments like this. If two things are close to equal why not try to use salary as a difference maker?

new grads...when you finish....will make about 80 bucks an hour.

How are ER and Anesthesia equal?

I've done ER and I would have rather seen myself as an internist. That says alot.

From my (very limited) sense that sort of work/pay combination would be a 90th+ percentile job nationally. Not sure how the Oklahoma market falls in that spectrum.

I guess the right answer is....it depends. I think it's a safe bet to say that if you graduated tomorrow and joined PP you would make at least 200K anywhere in the country, so right away it pays more than the standard FP and peds. PPs :))) vary tremendously in terms of call, vacations, incentives, reimbursement rates, partnership tracks, just to name a few variables. If you busted your tail (Q3 call, no postcall day off, sell your vacations, give up benefits) and found the right group it's not uncommon to make 400K your first year out.

Check out some of the old posts around this forum and check out gaswork.com for more info.

I am just starting out. They are paying me 265K 1st yr, 315K 2nd yr and 365K 3rd yr. Benefits are pretty good including 3 mil/6 mil occurance based malpractice, 401K, health/dental/vision, 3K CME stipend/yr. 13 wks vacation!!!! Call is Q4 from home. post-call day off. Call is light (we do 550 deliveries/yr). Lots of ortho cases with lots of blocks. Probably averaging between 45-55 hrs/wk. Hope this helps.

What is factors are you torn between??? I honestly don't see anesthesia and ER being related at all.

I like high intensity, limited time patient encounters without incessant rounding or months of routine follow up.

Anesthesia and EM are in no way shape and form equal. I'm guessing you haven't worked in either yet if you think that. One deals w/more traditional see pt, treat pt, send patient home or to hospital. The other is medicine in a less traditional sense I.E. the effect of surgery and drugs on a patients body. Both of the examples are ovbisously oversimplifying but you get the piont. Figure out which you like better and don't worry about the salary.

I didn't mean that they were literally equal. I meant I like them both a similar amount. You all seem very sensitive, which isn't like how this board generally is. Did your cycles sync up at an ASA convention or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
You all seem very sensitive, which isn't like how this board generally is. Did your cycles sync up at an ASA convention or something?

So yo have been viewing this forum for some time now, right?

Why not do a search and see if you can answer your question. Better yet, why not go on a few interviews and see what the offers are. That is a good example of what the starting salary is.

Only the green folks will post their salaries here. And why in the world would we want to broadcast our income on a public forum?

first off: oklahoma is desperate for physicians. i have heard it is one of the best markets for anesthesiology as well and that the starting salaries are higher than what you quote for ER there by maybe $50k. but this is all hearsay.
secondly: anesthesiology and er attract very different people. i considered er for a second as a med student but i knew i just really liked the doc i was assigned to. after doing a month of ER during intern year i am SOOOO sure i picked right with anesthesiolgy (there wasn't much doubt, but now all of it is gone).
if it comes down to money i think you will make more in anesthesiology. the job you found is exceptional and i have heard rumors of anesthesiology exceptional jobs in east bumblef--k making double that. on average i think anesthesiologists make more.
the fields are very different, do a little bit of each and then decide.
an er doc i worked with made $180,000...there are good and bad jobs out there for everything.

Last edited:
So yo have been viewing this forum for some time now, right?

Why not do a search and see if you can answer your question. Better yet, why not go on a few interviews and see what the offers are. That is a good example of what the starting salary is.

Only the green folks will post their salaries here. And why in the world would we want to broadcast our income on a public forum?

Did a search and no good info came up. Checked gaswork.com and didn't really find what I was looking for, either.

One million dollars......(followed by Dr. Evil laugh)....

Go and do ER, buddy.

Give the guy a break. Regardless of how similar or different EM and anesthesiology might be, that doesn't mean that one person can't find them both compelling career choices. And as JPP frequently says to general applause, you gotta watch out for yourself. Nothing unreasonable about getting compensation info when making a career choice.

Last edited:
Several Observations on the initial query:

I think salaries in Oklahoma in any field will be inflated relative to other regions (chronically undersupplied especially in EM and anesthesia)

I do not think salary alone is a useful tool for comparing the financial benefits of EM and Anesthesia as professions. Most EM physicians probably work about 120-160 hours per month (many nights and weekends). Most practicing anesthesiologists work 180-240 hours per month (some nights and weekends). You need to consider how the overall lifestyle fits your values and needs.

Picking a specialty based solely on lifestyle will lead to boredom or even dissatisfaction. One of the major benefits of higher education is the opportunity to work in a career that is intellectually fulfilling. Why go through college, med school, residency just to be a clockwatcher for the next 20-30 years?

The question shouldn't be NEW grad, it should be more like 2-3 years down the line. Anesthesia in many areas is done by groups, covering one or more hospitals. I know sometimes ER is like this, sometimes not. New grads are much more likely to make less with a group than a partner. But it's the partnership money, where you will spend 20 years that really counts.

FWIW, a gas doc I shadowed earlier this year in Tulsa said that they were hiring starting out at 500k. I never ask for monetary information when shadowing a doctor but he just randomly started talking about it. He wasn't quite a year out and I do know that he also got 13 weeks vacation.

I can see why the OP sees similarities between gas and ER. However, it doesn't matter because there are plenty folks out there who don't just love one thing. I am one of them. People can like different stuff for various reasons and if it comes down to it in today's expensive education environment, the returns matter.

All I care is the guy/girl decides to do their work and not slack. Money and/or the other lifestyle factors matter. Either you try to make as much as possible for the amount of work you do or you just work less and accept less money.

Are locums making similar $ in O.K.?

Bob,

To be perfectly frank, in either specialty, you are gonna be in the top 5%, if not the top 1%, of income earners in the US - it takes surprisingly little to be that high. Far more critical is your own personal & professional satisfaction. That, I am afraid, is something that only you can decide.

However, if I may be so bold, I can suggest a bit of a strategy to aide with this decision:

1 - forget the earnings potential, you will do well with either choice
2 - compose an objective & critical list of the elements of both that you like & dislike then compare them for commonalities
3 - see if there is one of the two that affords you more time/opportunities that you like vs. less that you do not like
4 - peruse the job sites to test the best geographies for each field & compare that to where you envision yourself living (be sure to include lifestyle factors & hobbies in the mix)
5 - finally, and really seriously think about this one, all specialties have an overarching personality - which of these do you see "you" fitting into best & lending itself to LONG-TERM happiness

The reality is, yes, there are some commonalities b/t anesthesia & ED, but these are definitely 2 very different specialties. And, you cannot expect a buncha gas-passers to be 200% objective in assessing what we do vs. another gig. We cannot be anything but biased because we were obviously confronted with the same decision - more or less serioiusly considered - and chose gas. But, you need that 200%-degree of honesty, objectivity & introspection - again, things only you can discern.

Best of luck & success to you!

500k with 13 weeks vacation, and home call starting out??? where is this gig cause i would love to drop my job and run....sounds like a scam to lure people

500k with 13 weeks vacation, and home call starting out??? where is this gig cause i would love to drop my job and run....sounds like a scam to lure people

Yup, sounds like a biat & switch routine to me...I'd be very wary of such a proposition. I nearly fell into something like this in So. ILL, but caught wind of somethings that were very fishy and decided to renig my verbal acceptance. Essentially, there were three problems: 1 - the more precise questions I asked the more vague the answers got...some of them 'evolved' into an entirely different species. 2 - I was told that my position was to take 2 years to "clinical partner", but that full business partner may never be in the works. His concept of "2 years to clinical partner" turned out to actually be a hired-on position where he would liberally discount my full-time salary by $75k year 1 & $25k year 2 & then pay me my full salary in year 3. Mind you, I was an EMPLOYEE of his, NOT a partner & there was no gain for me from the $100k deducted over 2 years. 3 - the FT salary went from $400k + he had a buddy I could moonlight for to increase my take home. This morphed into $375k and the more I moonlighted for his buddy of which a portion would go into the group, since I was an employee, to be bonused out making $400k an easy reach. This morphed the moonlighting for said friend was mandatory & the only way to hit the aforementioned $400k and that $$ I earned would go to the group to increase the overall bonusing.

This evolved...or de-evolved...over a short period of time, 3 or so weeks, as I pushed harder to get ever more elusive answers. Needless to say, I called off the deal. His response to my stopping was to refuse to reimburse me for a trip to take my family there to assess the community that he had promised to pay for. I lost $2500, but that is chickenfeed compared to the potential misery & financial beating I would have taken trying to break loose from this $hit-deal had I not woke up!

How did I nearly get my @$$ in that crack? Being a novice & not knowing when, who or what to ask and worrying that I might be inappropriate & risk loosing an opportunity, I very uncharacteristically keep my mouth shut & just did not ask. I ass/u/me-d that someone would tell me when the appropriate time was to chat about those sorts of things. As things progressed & no one told me the time was now, I began asking those questions...and getting zippo for answers.

Lesson for the novice - ask the hard questions, even at the risk of doing it at the wrong time or asking the wrong person. It may be your own @$$ you save! To hopefully minimize appearing like a dolt, I came clean & apologized for asking at the wrong time or to the wrong person up front. If that person diverted the question, I immediately came with, then who or when should I ask it. And, then reinforced my situation with my program trained me to be an anesthesiologist, but gave no guidance on how to do this part of the gig. If they appeared offended, I took note - because if they are so far removed from when they were a novice that they planned to hold that against me, then I did not want to be breaking in as a new staff doc under them either.

The only thing ER and Anesthesia have in common is that....

ER SUX.

Last edited:
The only thing ER and Anesthesia have in common is that....

ER SUX.

Damn I'm really hoping somebody reads this before it floats away into obscurity!

80 dollars an hr...hmmm...I will not be working for mil...some residents get that to moonlight

The price is wrong b itch!

Mil was being sarcastic. CRNAs earn around $80 an hour plus benefits (W-2)

(Average hourly pay based on 43-45 hours per week).

Around here the going CRNA rate is $900 per 8 hour shift, plus $125/hr for overtime. 1099 though. 1st call days are handled a bit differently but they do pretty well. I know CRNAs earning $250K+/year for what amounts to a 7-3 job with call about 1/7 and a 1/2 weekend per month.

As they say, location location location.

Around here the going CRNA rate is $900 per 8 hour shift, plus $125/hr for overtime. 1099 though. 1st call days are handled a bit differently but they do pretty well. I know CRNAs earning $250K+/year for what amounts to a 7-3 job with call about 1/7 and a 1/2 weekend per month.

As they say, location location location.

do you know if AA's are getting the same kind of deal?

This may be true, I know that market very well. However, the 13 weeks vacation are available for a price. I think its about 10-15K/week you have to pay back to the group to take the vacation. Also, the 500K comes with a very heavy call burden. :scared:

FWIW, a gas doc I shadowed earlier this year in Tulsa said that they were hiring starting out at 500k. I never ask for monetary information when shadowing a doctor but he just randomly started talking about it. He wasn't quite a year out and I do know that he also got 13 weeks vacation.