Whats a normal nightly amount of sleep during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What has been your experience?
a) 5-6 hrs
b) 6-7 hrs
c) 7-8 hrs

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I feel like as residency as gone on I've found myself really contracting my activities. I work, eat, workout, do some academic/publishing things and I go to bed. I'm pretty much **** unless I can get 7 to 8 a night.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
A-B depending on rotation. On this current one I'm lucky to get A. If I never wanted to see my kids, I suppose I could get B consistently, but everything is a tradeoff.

Where's the <5 option?
😄, I think OP's following ACGME duty hour rules, i.e. average over 4 weeks. Hey q2-3 x28s still means you get at least 12-24 hours off during which to sleep. Plus don't forget the 30 min you get falling asleep in that ICU work room chair. Just because sleep schedule disruption and insomnia means you don't sleep that whole time doesn't mean you couldn't 😉 .

Reactions: 1 users
I think it’s also shifts to more sleep as you go on because you become more efficient at work. Definitely used to be in A now I’m more C because I don’t go home and work on notes. I try and squeeze my paperwork/modules/etc in my lunch breaks.

Usually only got 5-6 hr on wards rotations. Honestly though I'm a bit of a night owl and wouldn't sleep early even if I could. When I was off I would have a bad case of "revenge sleep" where I wouldn't want to go to bed because then I couldn't enjoy the free time that I had! It was a bad cycle but I know I'm not the only one haha.

The lack of sleep definitely had an impact on my mood though. I was more irritable and found it harder to retain information. Would not recommend it. Good thing hospital administration/ACGME is more understanding about housestaff work hours these days and there will be meaningful change coming soon with improved pay for the hours we work/go above and beyond. Oh wait...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Usually only got 5-6 hr on wards rotations. Honestly though I'm a bit of a night owl and wouldn't sleep early even if I could. When I was off I would have a bad case of "revenge sleep" where I wouldn't want to go to bed because then I couldn't enjoy the free time that I had! It was a bad cycle but I know I'm not the only one haha.

The lack of sleep definitely had an impact on my mood though. I was more irritable and found it harder to retain information. Would not recommend it. Good thing hospital administration/ACGME is more understanding about housestaff work hours these days and there will be meaningful change coming soon with improved pay for the hours we work/go above and beyond. Oh wait...
No, you don't understand, its not work if its under the umbrella of "training". We're getting paid in exposure and academic bucks.

No, you don't understand, its not work if its under the umbrella of "training". We're getting paid in exposure and academic bucks.

No. You have a bad attitude.

“The only problem with being on call every other night is that you only get to admit half the patients”

- The House of God.