what's a science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esca007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can clarify this for me. What is considered science gpa in the med school application? Is it only the pre-req or all the science and math classes you've taken regardless it's lower div or upper div? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

esca007 said:
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can clarify this for me. What is considered science gpa in the med school application? Is it only the pre-req or all the science and math classes you've taken regardless it's lower div or upper div? Thanks

You've got it right. It covers every course that is considered a science or even comes under a science prefix. I've taken a few "philosophy of science" classes in the upper division, and those got figured into the science GPA too.

esca007 said:
Hi,

Science GPA = BCPM = Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Math (ALL OF THEM)

Members don't see this ad :)
The bane of my existence.

OSUdoc08 said:
Science GPA = BCPM = Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Math (ALL OF THEM)

And if you're an engineer, you can can a lot of your engineer classes as well (assuming you did well... otherwise don't include these grades)

so would independent bio research course count as bio or special studies?

Larsitron said:
You've got it right. It covers every course that is considered a science or even comes under a science prefix. I've taken a few "philosophy of science" classes in the upper division, and those got figured into the science GPA too.

esca007 said:
so would independent bio research course count as bio or special studies?

Well if it is in the bio department, then bio. Look at where it falls in your college catalog.