Whats all you 1st years up to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CraigWVU

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering were WVU's dental school is compared to others. What are some of the dental related things that you first years (like myself) are doing? We are working on class V amalgam restorations as of now, getting ready to start II's tommorow.

Just curious!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This semester at NYU we started operative. We started with:

Class I: Flew through this...

Class II: tons of MO, DO, MOD. 2 practicals on amalgam preps for tooth #19 and #3 back in January. (hour and half under rubber dam)

Moved on to Class III and Class V. Had a practical in Feb on Class III and Class V composite prep on tooth #8. Tomorrow, we have a practical on composite insertion for #7 (class III and V)(hour under rubber dam)

Later we're gonna do liners/bases, flowable, and Class IV...and I think some more Class IIs

but the most important thing I'm doin this semester is goin to Vegas in 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rubber dam sucks

Just got back from a weekend Vegas trip myself. Wish I was still there. May the luck be with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of 9th week into the semester:

Operative Sim Lab: Just finished up Class IIs, already did Class I, V, and complex V w/ pins. Practical last week prepped #29 and restored #3.

Neuroanatomy: finishing up the tracts, anatomy of the brain and spinal cord (a lot more than what I'm describing here)

Just finished up Dental Nutrition

Physiology: doing the cardiovascular phyz right now, already finished with diffusion/basic phyz and endocrinology phyz

Microbiology: doing the Immunology right now, already finished Bacteriology

Occlusion: just started learning all the TMJ and musculophysiology of the mastication apparatus.

Periodontology II: started the clinic doing prophies on one other

Tooth Morphology: final exam is tomorrow morning

Still going to classes from 8-5 and feeling drained! :rolleyes:

At Harvard,

Pharmacology final on Friday, after that spring break, which takes me to MIAMI!!!!

Also, just finished Oral Structure and Function (last week) and started Oral Development.

Good luck to all of you!

Stomatologist
HSDM-06

Currently, munching on Kroger-brand wheat saltines (suprisingly great!), purusing some notes on bone remodeling for oral biology, wondering if drugs really would help, remembering i need to get to bed so i'll be conscious for the 7:30 a.m. stats quiz tomorrow, and trying to forget about a possible undercut on my crown prep final practical today (bugger it all)

but you were probably talking more in general about curriculum and all that jazz

so this quarter i have 20 hrs of fun (over in 2 weeks!!!) including histology/gross anatomy/embryo/neuroanatomy (one big ball of fun destined to rule your life and make or break your GPA)

stats, cell and molecular biology (from genes to wound healing), biochem (nutrition and lipids, carbs, and other things i've forgotten)

and restorative classes including occlusion I (envelopes of motion, anat., and lab with the Lundeen steno-style textbook - waxup of 2nd premolar through 2nd molar on mounted, articulated max/mand casts, L side), Posterior operative dent (amalgams, drill 'n fill)(included class I BO, O, class V, and class II, MO, DO and MOD), and the crown prep course which involved prepping more posterior teeth than i care to remember for full metal crowns and fabricating provisionals (real crown fabrication comes next quarter!)

PI_Guy... i echo your rubber damnation.... tore the thing 3 times on the last practical.... thank goodness packing amalgam is a short process.. .otherwise i would have been toast!

Anyway, good luck to everyone, especially those of us with finals looming in the near future!!!:clap: