Whats an acceptable follow up time for a secretary of a PI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agiraffe999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I joined a PI to do research recently, although I need access to their EMR. The secretary has been always telling me that "the information will be sent out shortly", and I've been in contact with her to check my status weekly, although it sounds as if my PI is getting slightly impatient based on the tone of his emails. Is checking in with the secretary weekly as well as updating my PI bi-weekly acceptable? I want to make a good impression although don't want to be nagging the secretary too much. Sorry if this is a dumb question as well

Members don't see this ad.

Weekly seems reasonable. Checking in with the PI after a couple of more weeks also seems reasonable if the secretary does not follow through with the next two weekly emails. You just don’t want to email the PI too frequently because this could be perceived as “going over the secretary’s head” and you don’t want to be on their bad side.

In your next email to the secretary, try and get a date estimate when you should get the information. This creates a timeline that if exceeded, it gives you the opportunity to follow up again after that time passes.

Reactions: 1 user
Weekly seems reasonable. Checking in with the PI after a couple of more weeks also seems reasonable if the secretary does not follow through with the next two weekly emails. You just don’t want to email the PI too frequently because this could be perceived as “going over the secretary’s head” and you don’t want to be on their bad side.

In your next email to the secretary, try and get a date estimate when you should get the information. This creates a timeline that if exceeded, it gives you the opportunity to follow up again after that time passes.

This is great advice, thanks for letting me know!!

Can always cc your PI too. Secretary may not like that, but if from now on all your communication is also received by PI. They (admin staff) really can’t do much to stop you.

Light a fire behind them...... do it tactically. Cc dr Smith, since I don’t want to miss important communication from you (secretary) and dr Smith.

My email has been acting funky recently, so I want to make sure that you and dr Smith both receive my communication promptly.