What’s an average day in sleep medicine fellowship like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ekimalito

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’d like to hear first hand from a fellow or recent sleep grad what a day in sleep fellowship is like. Some follow up questions on that...

1. What’s the most challenging part of the year?
2. Does it allow for moonlighting?
3. Is it a challenging subspecialty in your opinion?
4. if you are out in practice, was it worth the time?

Members don't see this ad.

Since no one has answered so far:
1. Adapting to a new institution if you're coming from a different one. You can learn most everything you need to deal with 90% of what walks in your door in a year if you just pay attention.
2. It depends on the program but generally most schedules don't come anywhere near the 80 hour limit so you should have a lot of flexibility.
3. I'm not sure how to interpret this. I mean a lot of people casually say they could do it, yet they continue to refer patients so there's obviously some limitation on their part.
4. That's a lot harder to answer as it depends on what specialty you are entering from. In the IM/pulmonary world you'll have more opportunities getting in the door somewhere if they know you can handle their sleep patients. But then you also need to be ready to make this a major part of your practice. The ENT surgeon we work with has no interest in longitudinal management (that's why he has us) and therefore would never have considered a sleep fellowship but does all the surgical treatments for the patients we refer.

Reactions: 1 user