Originally posted by JKDMed
Originally posted by kcrd
what is it about consult-liason that appeals to you (baby)?
well said i fully agree with youOriginally posted by Anguscrimm
Reasons why I'm going into Psychiatry:
1. Ability to develop long term and intimate relationships with patients in a way that is unique to the Psychiatric field.
2. Many of the fields in Medicine are very algorithmic, for example, if a pt. has this, then you do this, if they hurt here, then you order this exam to evaluate. After you learn these algorithms ( and I have not by far), there is very little creativity or variation in the way you can treat patients. Psychiatry allows more creativity and freedom in treating psychiatric diseases because every patient is different and there are many ways to approach the problems encountered.
3. I like psychopharmacology and using many different medications. With the current meds and even more meds to be released in the future, many psychiatric diseases are much more treatable and managable than they were in the past.
4. I like working with depressed people. I just finished an Emergency Medicine rotation, and many of the patients I saw who come to the ER presenting with vague, non-acute problems are depressed. If you treat their depression and get them feeling better, then maybe you might see less of the patient who has had "Insomnia x 4 years" or "Pain all over my body".
5. Did I mention the lifestyle? I like my hobbies. I love watching UCLA sports. I love my fiancee. I plan to spend lots of time playing with my kids. I want to open a restaurant/ cigar lounge after my loans are paid down a bit.
I have many interests outside of medicine and a passion for life. Psych is a field that allows me the time to pursue these other interests.
Just my 2 cents. I'd be interested to hear other people's reasons for going into Psych.