What's best major to choose for undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pavuka77

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that a lot of med schools looking for well rounded students (especially students from sociology, humanities and pyschology majors.) Are my chances better if I were to choose one of these majors and just take my pre-medical classes or would you recommend me to choose a science-like major?

Members don't see this ad.

When I started college, I was an MCB major, thinking that would look good on my apps to med school. But as time has passed, my thinking has changed, and as a result, so has my major. I started to wonder what I would do if, diety of your choice forbid, I didn't get into medical school. Would I really want to work in a lab for the rest of my life? Did MCB suit my personality and my life goals? The answer, it turns out, is no. I love thinking about science, but not enough to make a living at it. I am far too interested in philosophy, psychology, and other "fuzzy" stuff, and where ever I end up, I want to be helping people directly.

The upshot of this is that you should major in something that you enjoy and that you can see yourself using throughout your life, whether you get into med school or not.

Nanon

I completely agree with Nanon. I too was a CMB (MCB) major and stayed a CMB person. It was one of the most challenging majors out there in our college of Science/Arts. My GPA may have been better if I had stayed with Gen. Bio or switched to Psych, but I loved molecular bio and organic chemistry. Plus I appreciated the challenge. Also, with growth of the field of genetic engineering and molecular medicine I think I made the right choice. Just in case I didn?t go in medicine I could have a research job that is just as satisfying.

I don?t think being the quintessential Bio major offers that much advantage in the minds of the Admissions Committees. Humanities majors may have an advantage as being "well rounded" or "intriguing" for their pursuit of Art and Medicine. You may even do better by having a smaller load of science classes to take at any one time.

Go for what you love. You will be much happier. If you love something non-science, that?s even better for you!

------------------

"Just like moons and like suns...With the certainty of tides...Just like hopes springing high...Still I'll rise" -Maya Angelou "Still I Rise"

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate your advice. I really love philosophy and humanities so I'll think I'll stick to one of those two majors. You're right though, I can't imagine picking a major that will make me utterly miserable.

I was also a MCB major. I finished all my MCB required classes by my junior year and during my senior year, I took "unconventional" courses for my own enrichment: Cognitive science, Linguistics, Vision sciences (this is partly related to my interest in neurosciences), film courses, Asian American Studies etc. Of course, I wanted to be a MCB major because I liked it. I don't know if medical schools give more or less weight to a major because they only give one line on the application to ask you about your major. However, most applicants are science oriented, so that's why there's a skew of majors towards the sciences. Personally, I don't think it matters as long as you do well (and enjoy your work).

------------------

pavuka77, I started out my career as a student aiming for a degree in chemistry. I soon changed my mind when I realized that I would be taking more than enough science classes in med school and decided to go for an English degree. It has been the best thing in the world for me. I generally take one science class a year and the rest are humanities. I would recommend to you to major in something that you enjoy, in the end it is not really going to matter what you get a degree in so use this time to learn about something that interests you.

Good luck,
Hip

If I had it to do all over again, I would have opted for a non-science major and taken the needed pre-reqs for med school as my free electives. this affords you an easier and better opportunity to study abroad, learn things you never will as a science major. It is possible that all the science pre-reqs will earn you a minor/concentration in biology which will make your record even better. Good Luck.

I guess you've already made up your mind, but i majored in music (saxophone) and it was one of the best decisions i ever made. Also, the med schools LOVED it, and i'm starting this summer! Stand out. Do anything but bio! College is your last chance to study anything but biomedical sciences. Take advantage of this last opportunity.

Carp

I heard some medical schools that are part of a university allow students to take something like 4 semester hours of any class of their choosing in addition to the med school curriculum. So you can still take some course for enrichment if you find that you can budget your time well in the first two years of medical school.

I have always regretted not learning to play a musical instrument.....hmmmm....
smile.gif

Carp,
Do you say "anything but bio," because we'll get enough of it in med school or because schools would rather see some other major?