What's best STEP1 book to learn material from scratch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just went through my first half year of med school and I feel like I just barely passed every class and don't know almost anything. Is there a good Step 1 book that would teach me the material again? I'm looking to read through the material covered in my first 3 blocks. I really don't like my school notes so I'm looking for a better outside resource to kind of touch bases on what I did so I won't be so behind when Step 1 comes around later next year.

I guess my question then is, whats the most comprehensive Step 1 learning material. All I have now is the first aid for USMLE step 1 and its all just review.

Members don't see this ad.

I just went through my first half year of med school and I feel like I just barely passed every class and don't know almost anything. Is there a good Step 1 book that would teach me the material again? I'm looking to read through the material covered in my first 3 blocks. I really don't like my school notes so I'm looking for a better outside resource to kind of touch bases on what I did so I won't be so behind when Step 1 comes around later next year.

I guess my question then is, whats the most comprehensive Step 1 learning material. All I have now is the first aid for USMLE step 1 and its all just review.

What one book can teach a dozen medical sciences for the first time? No such book exists. There are plenty of good books for individual important subjects like physio, anatomy, biochem, path. No one book.

Try to not focus on step 1 at all. I made the same mistake you are. Maybe half way through m2 start focusing on prep books. Learn your material in school well, use Wikipedia if your notes suck. There are a few good books but aren't really necessary or that helpful for m1.

In short, your focus on step 1 so soon is a detriment.

Ohh, what would u recommend for the individual subjects? Well its more like for during breaks when I have nothing else to do.

Ohh, what would u recommend for the individual subjects? Well its more like for during breaks when I have nothing else to do.

my school is system based so the First aid Organ systems book is pretty good for it. I would also get pathoma because it ties up a lot of things. We got a nice dose of path/internal med as first years so it has been really helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan ME + FA + Uworld + Kaplan Qbank.

If you need some reference to clarify things you dont understand in Kaplan ME/FA, use Kaplan Lecture Notes. But they should only be used as a reference source, and not as a primary source of learning

If you still want only one main source, you could also try First Aid For Basic Sciences: General Principles. It's the same info as first aid, but with added detail/explanations.

I'd say use the search function for reviews/recommendations of individual subject books.