Whats better high grades in average rep university or avg grades in high rep univ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cant dedide if I want to go to MSU of CMU. Both cost the same I think. around 55000 for 4 years.

Everyone knows who MSU is but barely anyone has heard of Central Michigan University. I think it has a decent rep actually. Anyways I know I can probably get better grades at CMU, so should I go to CMU. Ill probably apply at both.

Also CMU is like 15minutes from my house. I really like that.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that generally, high grades from any school are better than average grades from any school. The MCAT is the "great equalizer".

But high grades from a good school will probably be looked upon more favorably than high grades from an average school. Just get good grades, wherever you end up going.

If you plan on attending a school in Michigan I'd say go to MSU.

From MSU:
Wayne State: 1/4 of the entire medical school went there
Michigan State: 1/2-1/3 are from MSU
UofM: Only 3 students per year.

From UM:
Wayne State: 1/4 of class
Michigan State: 1/2-1/3 of class
UofM: ~1/2 of class

If you wanted to go to the school that would give you the highest chance I'd say go to UMich, if that's not an option go to MSU.

Get out and live a little bit, moving away from home is :thumbup:

I currently go to MSU and I can say it's alot more fun that CMU and the classes are probably about the same in difficulty.

Wayne State: http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/applying/statistics.asp
MSUCHM:
Q: Do applicants who earned degrees at Michigan State University or other Michigan colleges/universities get special consideration when applying to CHM?

A: No, we do not give preference to a particular undergraduate college or university. However, because we give preference to Michigan residents, a large part of our class is filled with undergraduates from Michigan State and the University of Michigan, as a substantial number of applicants are both Michigan residents and students at MSU or U of M. When choosing an undergraduate college or university, consider what you can afford, where you feel at home, and which schools offer excellent premedical advisement and programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im actually considering going to pharmacy school buts thats still good info.

And if I were about to take the MCAT i would probably buy your stuff that seems pretty cheap

Hey I used to live in Haslett michigan till I was 14, then I moved to Mt Pleasant. Its great to see some locals around here

high grades from a high rep. university is better.

Question:

What looks better to med schools:
3.5 from UCLA (Bio major)

or

3.8 from UCIrvine (Bio major)

hahaha.
I would assume 3.5 UCLA, no? competition is pretty rough in UCLA science majors...and i'm pretty sure a 3.5 bio student at UCLA could get a 3.8+ at UCI.....seriously.

UCdannyLA said:
Question:

or

hahaha.
I would assume 3.5 UCLA, no? competition is pretty rough in UCLA science majors...and i'm pretty sure a 3.5 bio student at UCLA could get a 3.8+ at UCI.....seriously.

I'd much rather have the 3.8+ at UCI.... I'd take that over a 3.5 from almost anywhere in a second

i think all UC schools have rough competition (along with no gpa inflation), so a 3.8 in irvine over a 3.5 in la

UCdannyLA said:
Question:

or

hahaha.

Definitely the 3.8 at UCI. From what I understand there are a lot of gunners at that particular undergrad so getting a 3.8 at UCI is a pretty big deal. WHy do you think someone with a 3.5 at UCLA would necessarily get a 3.8 at UCI?

Medikit said:
Definitely the 3.8 at UCI. From what I understand there are a lot of gunners at that particular undergrad so getting a 3.8 at UCI is a pretty big deal. WHy do you think someone with a 3.5 at UCLA would necessarily get a 3.8 at UCI?

he probably goes to UCLA and is trying to justify his 3.5

UCdannyLA said:
Question:

or

hahaha.

Sounds pretty pretentious to me. I find it odd how people can judge an entire university and assume they are smarter than everyone attending that university based solely upon the fact that they are at the more prestigious college. Now, isn't your admission into undergrad based soley upon what you do between the ages of 14 and 18? I would bet that the majority of American high school freshmen have no idea where they want to attend college, much less have the inclination to study hard and amass as many EC's as possible. I would consider those people who don't have their life planned out and enjoyed themselves during high school as normal. Those that do as weird. Anyways, for someone claiming to be intelligent, you probably shouldn't make such sweeping statements, they prove to everyone you're not as smart as you say you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop making fun of UCI.. :oops: I go there...Go anteaters!! :D

I went to an "above average" school (Berkeley) and got a average GPA in 3.5 and can say knowing I wanted to go to medschool, should've gone to a different UC to get a higher GPA. Sadly, this is the way it works with medschool...pure numbers....

Hahaha. you guys are funny.

Nah it's just that I've gone to another university (Rutgers University, not a bad school) before I transferred to UCLA. I had a 3.9 at Rutgers easily. I'm barely getting a 3.6 at UCLA while studying my butt off.

I just realized that competition is a big factor in determining GPA and I was wondering if med schools took that into consideration.

Better to be a genius among idiots than an idiot among geniuses.

chaldobruin said:
You guys laugh at Danny, but he is right. I go to UCLA too. The competition here is unbelievably stiff. We are not trying to sound condescending or elitist, but our school sent out the MOST med school applicants last year, over 700! The only school that even came close to that was UC Berkeley, around 500.

I've taken two summer science courses at UCI and they were a JOKE compared to UCLA. Why? The material was the same but but the competition was not as cutthroat. People there just weren't as hardcore.

Stop taking offense to us saying that our GPAs would be higher elsewhere because it is true.

Summer courses are usually much easier :)

the other Dr. said:
Summer courses are usually much easier :)

Yah. I took 2nd semester O-chem at UCLA summer and it was much easier than first semester at Pomona College even though it had been two years since I took 1st semester

Premedalltheway said:
Stop making fun of UCI.. :oops: I go there...Go anteaters!! :D

What are the UCSB, UCSC, UCSF, and UCSD mascots?

Just curious :confused:

Tra La La said:
What are the UCSB, UCSC, UCSF, and UCSD mascots?

Just curious :confused:

ucsb - gauchos
ucsc - banana slug (hahahaha)
dont think ucsf has one
forgot what ucsd's is...something about a triton or poseidon or something

ktsou said:
ucsb - gauchos
ucsc - banana slug (hahahaha)
dont think ucsf has one
forgot what ucsd's is...something about a triton or poseidon or something

UCSD: Triton

chaldobruin said:
I've taken two summer science courses at UCI and they were a JOKE compared to UCLA. Why? The material was the same but but the competition was not as cutthroat. People there just weren't as hardcore.
:rolleyes: Summer classes are never hard. I took one at my own school and it was a song.

Btw, that organic final posted was on par with the difficulty for the one I took at UW-Milwaukee, so the bitching can end now, guys. Enough with the wallowing in your own self-pity.

UCdannyLA said:
Nah it's just that I've gone to another university (Rutgers University, not a bad school) before I transferred to UCLA. I had a 3.9 at Rutgers easily. I'm barely getting a 3.6 at UCLA while studying my butt off.
And? I had a 3.95 after my first three semesters (over 57 credits), and now my GPA is starting to slip a bit even though I study more. Believe it or not, college gets harder! Calc 1, general chem and physics aren't that hard compared to a lot of the stuff I've faced since then.