What's better - SMDEP or research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yangxx2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I've done numerous searches on SDN about SMDEP, and I know that it's an amazing opportunity!
I was fortunate enough to be accepted to a site, but that was after I agreed to do research this summer (8-10 weeks on testing possible neuroprotective agents).
Now I have a dilemma:
Would you guys recommend doing SMDEP or the research?
I know that SMDEP is a nationally recognized program that looks good on med school apps, and I was so excited to be accepted :D
But then research will probably continue during the year and result in a good LOR from my PI. Also, the stipend for the research is significantly more than SMDEP.

Suggestions please?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely consider the SMDEP if you haven't had any experience in a hospital environment. It is a great program and a couple of people I know who did it absolutely loved it. If you feel that this program will give you a good experience and solidify your desire to become a doctor, then you should absolutely do it.
Research on the other hand is also good option and to be able to work on a project from start to finish really tells ad coms a lot about your character. Shows dedication and awareness to not only the human side of medicine but the scientific part that lies at the heart of its advance.
So go with your gut! I know deep inside you really already have your mind made up! Enjoy the experience regardless of which one.

Hey guys!
I've done numerous searches on SDN about SMDEP, and I know that it's an amazing opportunity!
I was fortunate enough to be accepted to a site, but that was after I agreed to do research this summer (8-10 weeks on testing possible neuroprotective agents).
Now I have a dilemma:
Would you guys recommend doing SMDEP or the research?
I know that SMDEP is a nationally recognized program that looks good on med school apps, and I was so excited to be accepted :D
But then research will probably continue during the year and result in a good LOR from my PI. Also, the stipend for the research is significantly more than SMDEP.

Suggestions please?

Thanks!
Am I a bad person for saying this matters? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I definitely thought the same thing.

which smdep site? id say that matters. :D

How about smdep vs research at the same site for the same amount of money?

I'd say SMDEP, but maybe that's because I'm going to UVA this summer for their program. :)

I guess it depends on what the weakness in your experience might be. Have you had significant clinical exposure already? If not, I might go for the SMDEP to get more experience and see if medicine is what you really want to do. You could always do the research throughout the year.

If you've already volunteered/shadowed a good deal, then maybe you should do the research and get the extra cash.

Definitely consider the SMDEP if you haven't had any experience in a hospital environment. It is a great program and a couple of people I know who did it absolutely loved it. If you feel that this program will give you a good experience and solidify your desire to become a doctor, then you should absolutely do it.
Research on the other hand is also good option and to be able to work on a project from start to finish really tells ad coms a lot about your character. Shows dedication and awareness to not only the human side of medicine but the scientific part that lies at the heart of its advance.
So go with your gut! I know deep inside you really already have your mind made up! Enjoy the experience regardless of which one.
Deep down...I really don't know. So would you mind telling me please? Ahahaa :laugh:
I've had clinical experience by doing shadowing last summer for credit at my school. I'm also an EMT, so I think that counts towards clinical experience too?
This is tough :p
But thank you for your input!!
Am I a bad person for saying this matters? :D

Nope, I definitely thought the same thing.
Definitely not. It's kind of a big factor in my decision-making hahahaa
which smdep site? id say that matters. :D
Does it? In that case, it's Howard University.
How about smdep vs research at the same site for the same amount of money?
I'm not sure what you're getting at
I'd say SMDEP, but maybe that's because I'm going to UVA this summer for their program. :)
Congratulations on getting in!

I guess it depends on what the weakness in your experience might be. Have you had significant clinical exposure already? If not, I might go for the SMDEP to get more experience and see if medicine is what you really want to do. You could always do the research throughout the year.

If you've already volunteered/shadowed a good deal, then maybe you should do the research and get the extra cash.
I've had shadowing experience at an ER nearby (through an internship with my school)
The only thing holding me back from doing research is the reputation of SMDEP. Is it super impressive to adcoms?

I've had shadowing experience at an ER nearby (through an internship with my school)
The only thing holding me back from doing research is the reputation of SMDEP. Is it super impressive to adcoms?
Iono if its considered super impressive to adcoms, but personally i take the extra cash, do research, and possibly get a good LOR

I checked over that SMDEP and it's nothing spectacular. To tell you the truth, it looks like just another politically correct agenda-pusher. You could replicate most of this yourself...and make it better. I honestly don't see anything great about, other than a fairly good networking opportunity.

Take the research, especially if you get a stipend. Put in the time (plus extra effort) you would on that SMDEP and the results will far exceed what you could get from the SMDEP.

Is it just me, or does this look like some URM-heavy stuff?

I don't know if adcoms are necessarily impressed by the reputation of specific summer programs. I think they are impressed by what you do in the experience and what you gain from it. I personally think the research sounds like a better deal.

Iono if its considered super impressive to adcoms, but personally i take the extra cash, do research, and possibly get a good LOR

My thoughts exactly :) But SMDEP is only offered to freshman and sophomores, so it'd be my last chance to do it.

I checked over that SMDEP and it's nothing spectacular. To tell you the truth, it looks like just another politically correct agenda-pusher. You could replicate most of this yourself...and make it better. I honestly don't see anything great about, other than a fairly good networking opportunity.

Take the research, especially if you get a stipend. Put in the time (plus extra effort) you would on that SMDEP and the results will far exceed what you could get from the SMDEP.

Is it just me, or does this look like some URM-heavy stuff?

Yeah, it's pretty URM-directed. The only thing I wouldn't be able to replicate are all the different clinical rotations..it's hard to find doctors to shadow aside from ER ones.

I don't know if adcoms are necessarily impressed by the reputation of specific summer programs. I think they are impressed by what you do in the experience and what you gain from it. I personally think the research sounds like a better deal.

Ok thanks for your advice! :thumbup: