What's Considered To Be "Applying"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i love help

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i hope this isn't a stupid question, but i was wondering what would technically be considered to be applying. Is it after you send in your secondaries? or your AMCAS?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I personally see sending in your PRIMARY to AMCAS as applying. After that, you do secondaries and make sure your file is complete (LOR's, etc). If you're lucky, you get an interview. We call this "Interviewing." Clever, no? :)

Yeah, once you have submitted your AMCAS app I would consider you applying, because by that time you have made your committment financially

Members don't see this ad :)
I think applying to medical school is after you take the MCAT and then you decide to start filling out the AMCAS.

so if you send in your amcas to a school, but not their secondaries, are you considered to have applied there once already? because as of now, i'm applying to ~20 schools, but might change my mind, and if i don't get in this year then will have to apply again next year. and i would like to be considered as "have yet not applied"

thanks for the replies, i do appppppreciate

i love help said:
so if you send in your amcas to a school, but not their secondaries, are you considered to have applied there once already? because as of now, i'm applying to ~20 schools, but might change my mind, and if i don't get in this year then will have to apply again next year. and i would like to be considered as "have yet not applied"

thanks for the replies, i do appppppreciate

I'm pretty sure a particular school would consider you a reapplicant to that school next year only if you completed thier secondary app this year. If you complete any secondary app, you would be considered having already applied to med school. I believe some schools ask on their secondary app if you've ever applied to their school, and if you've ever applied to med school in general before.

GoodDoctor said:
I'm pretty sure a particular school would consider you a reapplicant to that school next year only if you completed thier secondary app this year. If you complete any secondary app, you would be considered having already applied to med school. I believe some schools ask on their secondary app if you've ever applied to their school, and if you've ever applied to med school in general before.

I agree - I think you have applied to a school if you submit the secondary. Otherwise your application was never completed.