1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

What's going on!!!??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Brah of Science, Sep 30, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Brah of Science

Brah of Science 2+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Hey everybody!!

I've been lurking for a little while but finally decided to become part of this community. I do have some questions myself though!

1.) I just entered my last year of undergrad, but my course load is stacked with science courses. I have taken one calculus class but was looking to take the full year. I was wondering if taking it at a CC after I graduate would be looked down upon(for my gap year)?

2.) This brings me to my next question. I feel utterly behind compared to some people and I am not confident to apply in 2015. My MCAT is in January and I feel like I need to strengthen my app. Would having two years off in between undergrad and med school(hopefully) be a good idea? I'm not really too interested in a masters as I do research already.

Thanks for reading!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Goro

Goro Probationary Status 5+ Year Member

Some med schools look down upon CC coursework, period, others will not accept pre-reqs from them, and others have no problem with any CC course work. MSAR Online tells you who accepts what...there's no rhyme nor reason to it.

1.) I just entered my last year of undergrad, but my course load is stacked with science courses. I have taken one calculus class but was looking to take the full year. I was wondering if taking it at a CC after I graduate would be looked down upon(for my gap year)?

The only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself. But as a yardstick, the median GPA for MD school acceptees is 3.6, and about 3.3-3.4 for DO schools. For MCAT it's 31 for MD and high 20s for DO. If you have no significant ECs, then yes, a gap year will be a good idea.

2.) This brings me to my next question. I feel utterly behind compared to some people and I am not confident to apply in 2015. My MCAT is in January and I feel like I need to strengthen my app. Would having two years off in between undergrad and med school(hopefully) be a good idea? I'm not really too interested in a masters as I do research already.