1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

what's good ECs that I can start today?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by skazyjae, Aug 17, 2011.

1. skazyjae

7+ Year Member

I wondered what I can do right now. I have no clinical experience at this point (junior at undergrad). and I just realized that I have to have some clinical experience. What are some examples of ecs..

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Teppil

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    volunteer at hospitals around where u live
    shadow some docs
    join/lead clubs at your school

4. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If it's already your junior year I think you will need to take a gap year unless your stats are great.

You need clinical experience: you need to be able to smell and touch the patients (but perhaps not perform any medical interventions).

Taking a CNA / EMT course and then getting a job or multiple ride-alongs and externships could be useful.

Hospital volunteering is useful: identify the closest hospital that lets you do the most and start.

Shadowing is limited: while it offers familiarity with the US medical system and lets you know how things work, you are often unable to interact.

5. tn4596

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i just use google map and look up any local hospital where i can volunteer...then i find their website and apply/or call them
    same methods if u wanna shadow.
    start finding a research project if you are interested in doing that.

6. AymAyzing

AymAyzing Stay away from Q-tips...

Pre-Medical
    Volunteer EMT at your local fire house. They usually pay for your EMT and CPR certs. At my house I volunteer one night a week from 6pm to 6am. You're not awake all night though; You go to sleep your regular time, get up in the morning and go to school/work. Only difference is you get up if you have a call. Great EC, very rewarding AND great experience.

7. Tigrar

Pre-Medical
    Orderly in the surgery department at a local hospital. You have to do some gross stuff and clean rooms; but you get paid, get patient interaction when you gather patients to transport to surgery, experience in helping position patients for surgery, and interacting with doctors and nurses all day. Plus, I've gotten permission to watch a few surgeries with different doctors when there wasn't much going on. All I needed was CPR certification.

8. Morsetlis

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The above two comments will not work if you're in any kind of metropolitan city where the fear of malpractice/insurance runs deeper than a need for an untrained volunteer ;p

9. Tigrar

Pre-Medical
    How so? Orderlies are trained on the job. There is no risk of malpractice or anything unless there is fault of the supervisor who is supposed to make sure that positioning is correct.

10. Morsetlis

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The only entry-level orderly jobs available in San Diego are at nursing homes / adult day cares. Most require previous experience.

The big hospitals will not let anybody in without 1+ year experience and a CNA / EMT (unless you have connections, but that applies to everything).

I have found the same to be true in LA.

11. Tigrar

Pre-Medical
    I can only speak for Louisiana, but I know at two of the largest hospitals in New Orleans that this isn't the case.

12. Frazier

Frazier Emergentologist
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    You can commence cold calls for research opportunities during the upcoming year, this is if you suddenly have the sincere urge for scholarly pursuits. :D

13. Morsetlis

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Clinical experience is much more important than research experience to get into ANY med school.

The OP did not ask about research experience... I assumed he had some.

14. Frazier

Frazier Emergentologist
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Yea, I'm guilty of not reading the OP's actual post and flash responding to his rhetorical question-thread title. :p

15. goldenwest

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you can afford it, go on a medical mission, preferably one where you get a lot of hands-on experience. This will show not only shadowing and hands-on experience but also compassion. It also makes for an interesting topic with your interviewers.

16. Morsetlis

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "if you can afford it" medical missions, especially the one-shot kinds, are seen as pretention by most people. After all, how much did you learn about compassion living for a week in Kenya in an air-conditioned hotel while your patients were starving?

If you are in a US border state, consider medical missions into Mexico or caring for the homeless in your own city.

17. johnwalldance

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't listen to whoever told you to take a gap year, but definitely find any hospitals in the vicinity that you can volunteer in, try to find some department in the hospital where the volunteers are allowed to get as close as possible to patients, and if you do this make sure you are committed to volunteering a certain number of hours per week, (3 a week is good, maybe more cause you're just catching on right now?).

Also maybe try to keep a medical journal to write down thoughts and observations so you will be able to tell and show in interviews how such an experience has affected you and your attitude toward medicine

18. goldenwest

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I see this post as pretention. I'm positive there are people who go on medical missions to pat themselves on the back, but that doesn't mean that everyone that goes does. For the ones I've been on in the African bush there isn't much by the way of air-conditioned hotels. We stayed in tents and we handed out food to our patients if they were starving. I don't believe I'm a superior human being for doing this. I'm rather all too often disappointed in my own discipline and compassion, but I think judgmental posts like this are unfair and unwarranted without provocation. I also don't understand how you finished up saying that people should do medical missions. I never said the word international.

#17 goldenwest, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  19. goldenwest

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    True, my original post probably needed some clarifications. As LizzyM says in that thread, "there are right ways and wrong ways to help the needy". There are right ways and wrong ways to do medical missions. My experience from medical missions has helped me to better differentiate between the two. I'm sure part of what helped me in interviews was that I went on several and to the same places (and often places that people wouldn't go for tourism). I didn't do procedures that would require a license in the US (I anesthesized and pulled some teeth), but I did learn to take vitals, take a patient history, learn some basic drugs, do some laboratory tests, and form relationships with a lot of physicians. More than anything, though, I believe they helped me become a more mature and caring person. LizzyM obviously has a strong opinion about this, but that doesn't mean all adcoms feel that way.

20. FunnyCurrent

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    CPR Instructor

Training typically takes 2-3 days

Tutoring?

21. FunnyCurrent

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    are you pre-pharm? Maybe get the advice of pharmacy students. Which might be better tailored to your needs.

22. Gut Shot

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Grammar rodeo.

23. isoquin

isoquin Allopathetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree that one-shot missions are not a good move. Clearly goldenwest disagrees due to the personal nature of the advice, but the goal in ECs is to show that you have some basic understanding of the profession. You need to be able to answer "why medicine?" and won't be able to do that very well by observing an unrepresentative experience. That's not to say it's impossible. Sounds like goldenwest actually did hit that goal. It's just not as likely as solid experiences in a more representative environment.

So OP, perhaps you should start by asking yourself "why medicine?" and going from there. Challenge the answer to ensure it is still valid after directly experiencing it.

24. Morsetlis

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's good that a forum brings out different perspectives.

25. 13132

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Very true. Or a rural area outside a metro where all the hospitals have been bought by the large metro network ;)