Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

What's in your wallet?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by sdnmed321, Oct 30, 2002.

1. sdnmed321

sdnmed321 Junior Member

Not much left in mine. I've already spent around $1000!!! on amcas and secondary apps. I didn't even do well on the August MCAT. I got a 6/R in verbal and 9's in the other secs. I have over a 3.7 sci gpa and over 3.5 over all, lots and lots of ECs/hospital volunteer work, outstanding LORs & PS, not URM. Should I stop sending in unscreened secondaries? What do you think? Do I have a chance? help. Should I save my money for valium instead? That's the other thing, I can't sleep anymore. All I do is wonder if I should add more schools to my amcas list. I'm also having a hard time getting motivated for the next april mcat. The other day, I threw up. I've tried cold showers, hot showers, standing on my head, yoga from the 3 am show on the health channel and now writing to complete strangers. This has been very therapeutic. I'll be back.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exigente chica

Don't worry, you seem to be an competive applicant. I would never give up my dreams, and u should not either. Just relax(easier said than done) and act like it's no biggie and u will ace it!! Yoga is a great stress releiver, aslo try cardio and working out, to get those good flowing endorphins going.

Good luck:clap:

4. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    heh. my wallet is like -100000000
    anyways, I find it hard to concentrate on my classes now because I want to get started on the April MCAT after I messed up on the August one (7/6/8P).

5. whitesoxfan

whitesoxfan Member

Your application is good, but you may want to consider retaking the MCAT. With everything else looking good, a slightly higher MCAT score should get you into a ton of schools. I did well on verbal and my only advise is practice doing a lot of passages in a row and spend the same amount of time on each passage. If a passage is hard for you it probably is for everyone else too, so don't get hung up. Good luck.

6. sdnmed321

sdnmed321 Junior Member

I seem to be a competitive applicant? Are you sure about that? With all these people posting double digit mcat scores, I don't know. I mean I was very disappointed in myself for the score I got. I should have done better because I know I can. Thanks for the encouraging words though. I hope you're right :)

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Surfer, sailor, swimmer!

Don't be too disappointed. People have received acceptances with stats like that. Truthfully speaking the 6 in verbal is going to hurt you unless you have some outstanding EC's. Last year I applied with a 29P but received a 7 on verbal. I wasn't very selectiveabout the schools I applied too and was a CA resident and applied to UC's (bad idea!). Make sure you are applying to a majority of lower tier schools and then throw in a couple of what I like to call "dream" schools because you never knwo what could happen. I would apply to less than 10 schools this year speaking from experience because last year I applied to 13 schools and wasted $$$$$. If it doesn't work out this year then study hard for the April or August MCAT. There is hope because I was in your same boat last year and was pretty down on myself. I then buckled down, finished college, studied for the Aug. exam like a madman and got a full time internship for the year doing breast cancer clinical research. My verbal section on the Aug. MCAT went from a 7 to a 10. There is hope so just keep trying and improving your application and things will work out.

8. WhiteEagle

WhiteEagle Junior Member

Don't waste your $

I spent much less then ppl on this site for my MCAT prep...your local public library has Princton/Kaplan material available for example:)

apply to school that you have a chance at...

good luck

9. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

I took Kaplan and I definitely felt it was worth the money. I essentially used up all their test materials (most of which are kept on-site and can't be taken off-site). The lectures didn't help me very much at all, but the practice materials are excellent. The books are good, but I definitely needed all those practice tests and practice items to improve. 1200 bucks now is not a lot if it improves your score and allows you to go to your med school of choice (possibly with a scholarship!).

There are a lot worse things than education you can spend money on.

10. doctamon

doctamon Member

Yes. Writing to total strangers can be very therapeutic.:cool: