What's Israel like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A-DOG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to Sackelr for Fall 2000. I am assured a residency in New York upon graduation. My dream is to live in an Apt. in NYC and work as a psychiatrist. However, I am nervous about going to Tel Aviv for four years. That's a long time. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with Sackler or Tel Aviv in general. What's life like there? Does the majority of the pop. speak english?

Members don't see this ad.

Tel Aviv is just as cosmopolitan as most large European cities. It is also just as EXPENSIVE or more.

Israel is very different culturally from the US and many Americans, who know they will be there temporarly, give up trying to "integrate" and just live in small "all American enclaves". This also helps them not to feel linguistically isolated, as Hebrew is a hard language to learn even at the basic level, even more so at the level that one would expect from a professional student. Most people will be able to give you basic directions in English and a many of the young people will be able to hold a basic concersation with you (actually, the younger crowd loves a chance to practice their English, which will make learning Hebrew even harder). I would not expect to hold a very complex dialogue in English with the average Israeli though, and if you crave intellectual conversations, your US buddies at school will be it. But you will not get lost, nor have any problem shopping or conducting any daily chores in English. DO NOT expect your "patients" to know enough English for you to figure out accurately what is ailing them...

There is much to see in Israel, if you are a history or anthropology buff, although med school may leave you with limited time to explore. If anthropology, archeology and history are not your favorite pastime, but you are the "sports" type, Eilat and the Sinai have GREAT scuba diving.

The food is good, and you can find any type of cuisine which appeals to you, but I truly enjoyed the real Middle Eastern cuisine. Again, expect the price of food to be comparable or higher than here in the States. Red meat is very expensive in Israel, and most people will stick to chicken and just have red meat once a week or so. Forget pork, it is mostly a kosher country as food is concerned and pork is hard to find and expensive (it doesn't help the "other white meat" lovers than the Muslims do not eat pork either).

Rents in Tel Aviv are moderately high...

Expect to receive a first class education as the educational system in Israel is a few light years ahead of us here.

Good luck and have fun!

smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in Jerusalem for two months and spent a few days in Tel Aviv. I had no trouble communicating in english. Its a fun place. The mediteranean has some nice beaches. I have to second Eilat and sinai. I was also able to go to Cairo and Luxor, Egypt is a fascinating country. Check out Petra in Jordan, WOW! Probably my favorite part of the trip. I felt like Indiana Jones.

You were wondering what life is like in Israel? Well, I have never been there, but a close associate of mine has told me that in addition to purchasing your books at the school book store.....you can also get a good deal on an AK-47 and uzi-submachine gun which you might need as much or even more than your anatomy atlas. And remember: Beware of man who wears dish towel on head.
-Your most eczemous Liquid

Liquid Ten., I hope I never have you as a Doc. The stereotypical attitudes we hold towards others will eventually infiltrate their way into our way practice ideology. I am trying to learn about others from different backrounds. The people you generalize are people you may have as patients one day. Maybe, we should view people as peolpe, and not as towel heads,

A- Chill out... this guy can't be for real... Did you see his other posts? I mean he said that he enjoyed taking baths in geese waste infested ponds for goodness sakes... It does not take a neurosurgeon to figure out that he is only having fun wiht this web board.