Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What's it like applying to residencies?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by guardian, Aug 26, 2001.

1. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Is it like applying to medical schools or better? Do the majority of people apply for positions at teaching hospitals? Also what comes into play other than board scores and grades/class rank? I don't know why I ask, I'm just starting my first year :rolleyes:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Whisker Barrel Cortex

Gaurdian,

I don't think it's too early to start thinking about residency application. I wish I had.

Applying to residency is a lot less stressful than med school apps because you will get a residency in some area no matter what. That being said, it is still stressful, especially if you want to enter a competitive field like radiology, ENT, ortho, ER, etc. Anywhere from 10-25% of people applying to these fields from US Med Schools do not get them and must do something else or try again. If you want internal medicine, peds, surgery, and most other fields, you will find a spot. The only stress is finding a good one and one that is right for you. This is academic for some and community for others. Although it is extremely variable, the general rule seems to be that people who want to do general private practice choose community programs (most of which are easier to get into than academic) and those who are thinking of academic medicine, research, and subspecialty enter university programs. Again, this doesn't mean the opposite doesn't happen.

As for what programs look for, grades (especially 3rd year), USMLE (mostly Step I but some want Step II), letters of recommendation, research (if you want academic programs), and the interview are the factors. Each specialty and program has different emphasis, but many competitive programs use USMLE I as a screening tool so study your ass off for it.

That's about it from me. I'm a fourth year medical student planning on going into radiology and am bitter because it all of the sudden got really competitive in the past 3 years. Anyway, if you have other specific questions, post them and I'll try to answer.

4. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member

So Guardian....do you think you are hot stuff now just because you moved from posting on pre-allopathic to posting on allopathic???? I think not. You ain't no Dr. Horwath!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

PS: I still haven't gotten my thesis from her!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

PPS: So how was your first week as a med student guardian?? ;)

5. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Eric Friedman ( ;)) you're pyscho man! I think you've been sniffing too many chemicals! First week is OK, check your e-mail for a more detailed account lol.

DoctorB19- Thanks for your reply. Where do we get our letters of recommendation from?From preceptors and residents we meet during our clinical rotations or basic science professors? I'm thinking of going into internal medicine and specializing in endocrinology or cardiology. But who knows :rolleyes:. What made you consider radiology?

6. Whisker Barrel Cortex

Guardian,

You can get letters of rec from attending physicians in your third and early fourth year. A letter from a resident is useless, even though they work with you much more closely than attendings. Usually, you want a letter from a attending who has seen what kind of work you can do and agrees to write a 'strong' letter on your behalf. Some people and some specialties recommend a letter from the chair of the departement, even if you didn't work with them. They usually just interview you prior to writing on your behalf. If you do research at any time, your preceptor may be another good letter writer. Another tip, medicine and surgery letters are good for any specialty!

I was initially thinking of internal medicine and going on to cardiology. I really enjoyed my third year rotations in medicine. I analyzed what I liked about it and found that it was the interesting cases and figuring out the diagnosis from imaging, labs, EKGs, and Echos. Radiology is a great field because you see pathology relating to every field of medicine and are often the one that clinches or narrows down the diagnosis. Plus, you get to do lots of cool procedures (not only in interventional, but also GI, Body imaging, ultrasound and others). Its not sitting in front of a box all day like everyone imagines. You interact with physicians from all specialties and there is immense variety.

I will have to admit that the better hours (especially compared to cards) and the awesome money right now (new residency grads getting offered 250-350 K for general rads) helped clinch my decision. I must emphasize that these factors cannot make you happy if you don't like what your doing.

Good luck. And I repeat: Study your ass off for Step 1!! :D

7. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I'll move this over to the Rotations and Residency Forum for ya. :D