What's latest news on the new DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihopetobeado2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everybody,

So far, I've heard that there will be 7 new DO schools opening in the near future. In the press releases section of the AOA website, ATSU-Mesa, Arizona and Lincoln Memorial were the only two of seven schools that were granted pre-accreditation and are on schedule to open 2007. Has anybody heard the lastest news on the other 5? Here's what I have gathered so far:

-I called and asked Touro, Mare Island, but they haven't heard anything new about the Touro, New York, opening.
-Barry University is waiting for more Florida osteopathic residency slots to open before opening their school.
-There are rumors that MSU-COM is opening a campus in Detroit.
-Pacific Northwest's fundraising has bogged down. Doesn't look like it'll make the hoped 2007 opening.
-I read somewhere on SDN about an osteopathic school opening in Pittsburg. Can anybody elaborate?

Members don't see this ad.

ihopetobeado2 said:
Hey, everybody,

So far, I've heard that there will be 7 new DO schools opening in the near future. In the press releases section of the AOA website, ATSU-Mesa, Arizona and Lincoln Memorial were the only two of seven schools that were granted pre-accreditation. Has anybody heard the lastest news on the other 5? Here's what I have gathered so far:

-Touro, Mare Island, hasn't heard anything new about Touro, New York,.
-Barry University is waiting for more Florida residency openings before opening their school.
-There were rumors that MSU-COM was opening a campus in Detroit.
-Pacific Northwest is bogged down in fundraising. Doesn't look like it'll make the 2007 opening.
-I read somewhere on here about an osteopathic school opening in Pittsburg. Can anybody elaborate?
I think the Pitt school is gonna be on the campus of Robert Morris school of business.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
I heard about one in TN opening too.

The one in Tennessee is Lincoln Memorial, aka LMU

From Knoxville News Sentinel Jan 19th, 2006

LMU announces plans for medical program

School waits for accreditation, hopes to recruit students who will serve Appalachian region

By HAYES HICKMAN, [email protected]
January 19, 2006

Lincoln Memorial University leaders announced plans Wednesday for a new $15 million, four-floor facility to house the private liberal arts school's planned college of osteopathic medicine.

Officials said they expect the first class of 150 students to begin their studies at the main Harrogate, Tenn., campus by fall 2007 as part of what will be the university's first doctoral program.

The announcement, made at the Knoxville home of LMU Chairman O.V. "Pete" DeBusk, also detailed plans for a new master's-level program for nurse practitioners, which also will be based in the new building.

LMU President Nancy Moody said various funding sources are being pursued for construction, including loans and donations. The groundbreaking on the project is expected by May.

The university received its initial pre-accreditation status last month from the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation.

Once its provisional accreditation is granted, the school should begin recruiting students.

"There's a tremendous need in the Appalachian area for medical care," said DeBusk, emphasizing the school's stated mission to serve the region. "It is an area that has been underserved for decades."

Likewise, the college will attempt to specifically recruit students from the region who intend to practice in the Appalachias, he added.

"There's a big void, and we've got a doctor population that's aging," said DeBusk. "This is a much-needed thing. Our mission is to serve this region, and that's where we want our students to come from."

DeBusk is also founder and CEO of DeRoyal, a Powell-based international manufacturer of medical products and supplies.

Tuition is expected to be approximately $35,000 per year for the four-year medical program.

The newly named dean and vice president of the LMU College of Medicine, Dr. Ray Stowers, said that more than two-thirds of doctors of osteopathic medicine serve as primary-care physicians and often in rural areas.

The one in the northwest is officially aiming for 2008 now instead of 2007. There is gonna be a presentation in Yakima on the 27th but I cannot make it unfortunately.

Any other rumors? Latest information you've heard?

Has anyone heard anything about a new osteopathic school in Colorado?

Our Dean of Student Affairs (Dr. Martin) is leaving at the end of this month, and the rumor going around Nova is that he is going to be the dean of a new Colorado school.

Wow. Nova-Colorado? That'll make 8 new DO schools in the works. Seems really American by allowing more opportunities to those who want to learn.

I'm sorry in advance...8 new schools would be absolutely ridiculous!!! I am surprised by the initiative that a few of the schools have taken to say that they are not moving further until new residency programs open, but it is 100% the right move. There are hardly enough programs for the DO's graduating now (I know people will disagree w/ this).

However, if they do decide to open up new schools and residency programs, I hope they do it the year before I match.

I also disagree that it would be allowing more opportunities for those who want to learn...yes there would be more osteopathic students, but we HAVE to keep the credentials of our schools as high as they can possibly be.

At what number of schools do you think the AOA will plateau at? Is the AOA basically giving rights to whomever has enough money and the will to open a school?

Are there plans to open more residencies also?

NRAI2001 said:
At what number of schools do you think the AOA will plateau at? Is the AOA basically giving rights to whomever has enough money and the will to open a school?

Are there plans to open more residencies also?

Not enough to keep up