1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What's more difficult?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Atlas, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    What's more difficult? The first two years or the last two years of medical school in your opinion.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I foresee it to be the first two years, but I'm sure there are trials for the last two years as well....

4. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

For me the first two years were the worst (with the first year being the worst out of those two). The last two have their own frustrations, but still are MUCH more fun than the first two.

Billie, MS-IV

5. William Bohannon

10+ Year Member

As always, I must agree with my wise and savvy collegue Billie.

Year 1 and 2 were difficult due to the volume of material, developing irriations with classmates, stress on personal relationships, and the total lack of a sense of humor by administration towards extracurricular activities. Still, even cramming before block exams, we still had fun cutting up and making jokes. And, there was always the near constant wise cracking commentary in the back of the room during lectures.

Years 3 and 4 of course have the obstacles of Step 1 and 2 of the national boards. There is also the occasional crappy rotation in some torture pit mistakenly labeled as a hospital.

But, all things considered, med school (so far) has been a blast. I have made friends that I will treasure the rest of my life. I get to see and do things most people will never have to opportunity to experience. Most importantly, every once in awhile, I get to cut people and sew them back up. Yes, life is good.

Will ;)