Whats my best path? NEED SOME SERIOUS ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx27563

Hopefully 08'
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well here is the deal..

i will be able to finish up my B.S. in Biology next year if I want to with no problem....however if i do this i will have to take two english classes this summer instead of re-taking both general chem's (which i made C's in freshman year) replacing those grades with A's would help my GPA overall and science as well...now here is where it gets tricky...

to obtain a B.S. in Biochemistry I could re-take those chemistry's and finish the degree in two years.....but Im applying to pharm school this fall and if i dont get in then what would look better when applying the next year (my 5th year, so i wouldnt technically have my B.S. in Biochem until the spring)...a B.S. in Biology or the extra work that comes with the B.S. in Biochem....i know this sounds confusing but the two general chem classes seem like they are really crushing my GPA...i just dunno what to do :( do you guys think pharm schools frown on plain Bio degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your current gpa and what schools do you plan on applying to.

I have talked to many pharmD students that have had C's in Gen Chem or O Chem. In my opinion it would probably look better for you to finish strong than go backwards and retake. I doubt that a pharmacy school is going to say "this guy is perfect for our school, but we are worried about those C's he got early on." Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of someone who had C's in Gen. Chem and the Associate Dean actually mentioned that as being something that might effect their ability to get into pharmacy school. However, as the previous poster has pointed out, a positive grade trend is good to see!! You could always apply and see what happens, if you don't get admitted you can then decide what you want to do from then on. If you feel your Gen. Chem grades are affecting your chances, you could mention that in your personal statement and tell the ad com how you have grown personally and academically since then. Also, don't hesitate to back yourself up if this is something that is brought up at an interview, again use the above and emphasize the steps you have taken since then to improve.

Since you're thinking of reapplying, how about taking the BS in bio and then working as a tech while retaking those reqs during the year, as well as taking biochem classes. I am a biochem major and we differ from bio majors with respect to learning about molecular bio research techniques in details as well as having research experience. Other than that our main biochem class can be taken by bio majors so I say stick with a bio degree and boost up your application through experience and raising your pre-req gpa and try to take higher level classes too. Good luck!

ok i first want to thank all of you who replied..i think i know what im going to do now.

first im going to retake those chemistry classes this summer so i can boost my GPA as much as possible...second, i am gonna go ahead and take all of my Bio classes needed for my degree except for the two english courses......if i dont get in i will go next summer and take those to obtain the degree...that way if i have to reapply i will have my BS.

...and as far as work experience i have been a tech at CVS for 5 years (since i was 16) and a year as a CPhT. i havent taken the PCAT but im studying about 5 months ahead for the summer exam.....i really hope my early college failure wont wipe out my childhood dream :( but im gonna keep trying until i get in i dont care what it takes.......