What's my chance? And can I use the old LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartfella

Reaction score
To all,

I am an US-DO graduate.
I graduated from a community residency program 5 years ago, no research just 3 cardio poster presentations at regional conferences.

Back then I planned to apply to cardio so I obtained several "strong, personal" LORs from atrending included from 2 cardiologists who I rotated with. However, with unexpexted family issues, the plan postponed, didn't apply, went straight to work as hospitalist.

Then, I got accepted to CCM fellowship in a year ago, currently a 2nd year fellow. While I enjoy critical care, I still miss cardio. I have worked my butt off to boost my CV - got 13 articles (lots of them in cardio), 8 got published, 5 pending. Got 5 poster presentations and 4 oral presentations at grand rounds.

I also got 4 strong letters from CCM PD and attendings since they fully supported me for cardio

So I wonder what is my chance for cardio? And can I use the old letters from 2 cardiologists in addition to current letters from CCM? since I was told applicants should have letter from the fellowship they intend to apply to? Or just submit the currents one?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Get a cards letter from your current program. Do a rotation in the CCU. May be too late for this cycle, though.

Don't use letters from 5+ years ago.

Get a cards letter from your current program. Do a rotation in the CCU. May be too late for this cycle, though.

Don't use letters from 5+ years ago.
Thanks for response. Unfortunately for me too late to obtain card letter. I understand the old letter can be odd but it is still pretty strong one. May I ask why it is viewed negatively if I is submitted to programs? Thanks.

Its weird that you cant find a letter from cardiologist from your hospitalist days or CCM fellowship who can attest to your clinical skills.
Letters from 5 years ago will not help you.
You need a recent cardiologist letter