What's my chance of passing the NAPLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxco2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the Naplex and felt horrible about it.

I keep getting questions on how to calculate CrCl. Like a good 10 questions. I used actual body weight for all the questions unless it's stated "use IBW". I just realized that I screwed it up because you should use IBW/adjusted body weight for different patient body types. That's a good 10 questions that i missed. No wonder why they keep giving me CrCl questions bc I got them all wrong.

I also got some ridiculously basic questions like straight up what is the MOA of this drug? and the drug is some basic drug that you had to be a ***** to get it wrong. Ppl told me if you keep receiving these type of basic questions then you are more likely to fail.

I got some HIV questions, but at the beginning. I got 1 oncology question, but it was the last question (#185) and it was asking me for the MOA.

I ran out of time at the end and had to rushed through a good 40 questions. Then, they gave me a series of math questions at the end that I couldn't do because I ran out of time, so I had to put in random answers in the fill in the blank so that i could move on. Had to do it for a good 10 questions.

I had about 50 select all questions (no kidding!), so what are the chances I get any of them right.

When I went home, I realized I missed even the most basic questions because I let my nerves get the best of me.

I've been crying nonstop. I studied and I thought I was prepared. I studied from Rx Prep, did all the quiz banks, and the 120 questions.

My prenaplex score: 74 and 88.

I felt so sad that I had to vent...thank you to anyone who read this. Any similar experience/stories to share are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am on the same boat as you are.

Anxiety took my brain away on Naplex exam day. I didnt even remember easy calculation formula and units. Just like you, I missed all CrCl questions too since I used all actual BW to solve these problems. Toward the end, I skipped several Math questions due to not having enough time. I also had 30-40 SELECT ALL questions and 4-5 dosing questions in the beginning and these were HARD.

Near the end, I also got few easy question (brand/generic), compounding, dosage forms and immunization.

Pre-Naplex: 75

I am praying for a miracle to come and help me pass this exam. I have been crying.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I passed!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Were the select all questions dealing with counseling point of a medication or like side effect and you had to group different drugs that cause the particular side effect?

^ both, but more so on side effects. I had one select all after another, it was crazy.

I'm so mad at the Crcl questions. My first Crcl question, they stated specifically to use IBW. Then, the next couple Crcl questions didn't say to use IBW, so one would assume they want you to use actual weight right? Wrong......

Praying for a miracle. I pray every night to god. Allegra,
Don't lose hope, keep praying...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so mad at the Crcl questions. My first Crcl question, they stated specifically to use IBW. Then, the next couple Crcl questions didn't say to use IBW, so one would assume they want you to use actual weight right? Wrong......

Praying for a miracle. I pray every night to god. Allegra,
Don't lose hope, keep praying...

If at first they stated to use IBW and then the next few they didn't, how do you know you were supposed to use IBW for the questions that didn't specify? If it was a dosing question like for an aminoglycoside (which is based on IBW unless TBW is less or TBW>30% of IBW - then use AdjBW), then I can see where they might not specify.

Last edited:
For IBW, if actual weight < IBW, use actual weight. If obese, use adjusted body weight. Otherwise use IBW.
I didn't even look at the patient body type and go ahead and use their actual body weight, since I assumed they didn't say IBW like the first question I got. I assumed this is wrong since I got like 10 Crcl questions. Isn't the test adaptive? I must've gotten it
wrong so much that the comp keeps asking me to calculate it again and
again

Hello rxco2013,

There is a rumor ---------- "if your registration is closed on NABP website before your NAPLEX score is released, that means you pass NAPLEX"

I really hope this is true. Did you check your registration on NABP website?

^ well I wanna die. Mine still says ATT generated. When did you take your naplex and when did the nabp changed your status?

No, I meant the button "Register for NAPLEX" is greyed out ----> meant closed

I am sorry......... I did not meant to give you a panic attack........ Just wanna give some hope

I took NAPLEX on 7/11. They changed it after i took my exam.

oh mine is grayed out. But I didn't noticed when it changed. You sure you your is grayed out after the naplex? I don't remember exactly but I thought it was greyed out even before I took the naplex (not sure 100%, I didn't notice the top area so memory is a little bit vague right now). I took mine on the 11th also at 12 pm.

Where did you see this rumor? Omg, I hope it's true.....this gives me some hope.

I took mine on 7/11 and at 12:33pm.

I heard this rumor from one of my colleagues......... hoping it is true though. Plssssss god!!!! Please let us both pass this exam.

okay, I remember now. I actually screen shot a picture of my dashboard to send to my friend bc she was confused about where to sign up and such, and mine was greyed out before I even took the naplex. You sure yours changed after you took the naplex?

^ so sad, I was hopeful for like a brief second.. :(

Last edited:
From my colleagues......... I am from Florida.

If you search on google for term "naplex registration closed", there are few discussions about this. Some people say it's true and some says it may be misleading.

Hopefully we both willl passssssssssssssssss!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, the status was changed a few minutes right before my score was posted. It was something like "The Status of your NAPLEX® has Changed to Registration Closed" when I logged on to the NABP website under the "Message Center."
It's the weekend, go out and watch a movie or have a drink or something. Try to keep your mind off of the NAPLEX. What's done is done. Just try to prepare for the future. I'm sure you guys did much better than you expected. You are allowed to miss many questions and still PASS the NAPLEX. Good luck and just try to enjoy your weekend! :)

So here's what you both should see in your dashboard: I was in your shoes a few weeks ago:

If you know you passed :
1- You will be able to see your Naplex Registration open meaning ( it looks like you can still take the Naplex again).
2-Active Registration - click that - if it says closed and you see the Naplex on top along the pre-naplx and it's NOT greyed out...YOU PASSED
If this is grayed out and you see your ACTIVE REGISTRATION and it's closed - you failed.

I had to do this and found out one of my friends failed... Not sure about CA folks, this is only for out of state people. I'm transfering score to CA.

I'm sorry but those instructions seem like the same thing but just said in a different way. Do you mean not grayed out? :confused:

So here's what you both should see in your dashboard: I was in your shoes a few weeks ago:

If you know you passed :
1- You will be able to see your Naplex Registration open meaning ( it looks like you can still take the Naplex again).
2-Active Registration - click that - if it says closed and you see the Naplex on top along the pre-naplx and it's NOT greyed out...YOU PASSED
If this is grayed out and you see your ACTIVE REGISTRATION and it's closed - you failed.

I had to do this and found out one of my friends failed... Not sure about CA folks, this is only for out of state people. I'm transfering score to CA.

This is confusing...everyone was saying it has to be grayed out in order for u to pass...? Either way my naplex is scheduled at the end of the month and for me it is grayed out already..

Last edited:
This is confusing...everyone was saying it has to be grayed out in order for u to pass...?

Keep in mind. It will be GREY...24/48 hours post Naplex. IF it stays GREY and it's been weeks...you may have failed...(My friend had hers greyed out)... She has to wait 91 days to be able to register again - see how this works now?
You will see the bar on the top "REGISTER FOR NAPLEX" will allow you to register again...this means you passed...

This is what it looks for me and friends who passed. Now for those of you who are so nervous and getting a bit paranoid. Give your NABP a chance to upload your score. And keep in mind it varies from state to state.

What I shared is based on "OUR" experience and may not be applied to you.

Keep in mind. It will be GREY...24/48 hours post Naplex. IF it stays GREY and it's been weeks...you may have failed...(My friend had hers greyed out)... She has to wait 91 days to be able to register again - see how this works now?
You will see the bar on the top "REGISTER FOR NAPLEX" will allow you to register again...this means you passed...

This is what it looks for me and friends who passed. Now for those of you who are so nervous and getting a bit paranoid. Give your NABP a chance to upload your score. And keep in mind it varies from state to state.

What I shared is based on "OUR" experience and may not be applied to you.

How quick did you check this stuff after ur naplex? the same day?

You know i've experienced all the same things that have been listed in this thread. Passed thank god.

Y'all will be fine. Trust me.

I got my score today. I passed!

Thank god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I logged in, my Naplex Status has changed to "Registration Closed" and my "Register for Naplex" button is OPEN (not greyed out. It was greyed out right after I took my exam).

Last edited:
HOOOORAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to both of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure if this grey out thing works only for states that participate in the online scores.

I am from Florida. Florida does participate in online scores.

Congrats! I'm just a bit confused about scoring of naplex, if you got a 90 does that mean you scored 90%? or 90 out of 180..?? cause i thought you need 75% to pass?

Congratulations to all of you Job well done. Now the wait for getting my license #. Got to enjoy these next couple days.

it means you need to get 75 out of 150 to pass. They drop 35 questions.
75% is for CPJE.

Isn't the NAPLEX adaptive and as such, each question is weighted differently? That was my impression and that means that no one knows what it actually takes to pass other than a 75 scale score.

OMG, i think I passed!!! I'm from california and took naplex on 7/12. I just checked NABP and my registration is closed and the "Register for Naplex" is no longer greyed out. Still need to wait for the official mail results.

I have been hearing mixed reviews about what weight to use when it is not specified. RxPrep currently states only use IBW if they tell you if not use actual. Any thoughts?

Anyone have any references to support what they?

Naplex is on friday- and im freaking out :scared:

For anyone who did the Rxprep quizbank.. how helpful was it?

Thanks

Okay so I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and have never posted. They provided some useful info and freaked me out tremendously!

I took my NAPLEX Saturday (7.13.13) in Texas and just found out I passed.
Here are a some things to note that might ease your minds!

Time spent studying: Roughly 10 days with an average of 5 hours per day (and these were not hours spent alone--was at home with family members all around with the TV going, etc)
Study materials used:
120 SDN math question packet (it's the ONLY math reference you really need)
Did not read the entire RXprep book--only read DM, HTN, CF, Anticoags, Dyslipidemia---LIGHTLY skimmed through the rest
Did not do the Rxprep quiz bank AT ALL
Used old notes (that were basically summaries)--compiled into 100 pages worth of summarized notes
Did not do any pre-tests

I am strong in math so I know I got all my math problems correct, which according to many is a huge factor

I felt HORRIBLE after the exam---I started counting ones I KNEW I got wrong (and most were easy ones)

School credentials:
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Was your average B student

Naplex score: 100

I can confirm the naplex score theory worked for me as well.

"Register for naplex" button greyed out up until results posted that I passed :)D) then changed to orange button. Also registration status changed from "ATT generated" to "closed."

My only thing is that I have no score posted, it just says passed. No complaints, just curious how you guys actually got your score? My state (CO) does participate in online score results.

BTW congrats everyone!

where does it say passed? i took the naplex and also the grey button is back to orange and the naplex registration is now closed. im also in a state that does not allow for the score to be posted on the nabp website.

Just found out I passed yesterday also! It's a happy miracle :)

My register for naplex tab was also greyed out after my naplex test and yesterday morning when the scores were posted it was clickable again.

Pre-naplex: 74 1 day before naplex (freaked me out big time...)
Naplex: 103

Used Rxprep book, quizzes and videos. SDN 120 Qs

Now time for MPJE

Hi Everyone, I am going to be taking the naplex next month and just wanted to know what i should be focusing on. I am using the rxprep book 2013. I am worried about the calculations are the calculations on rxprep good enough? or should I focus on the 120 sdn math questions

Thanks

Hi my state doesn't participate in online score, and the "grayed out" theory worked for me too.

i think rxprep calculations are too simple, so i recommend doing the 120 questions as well

Hi guys, I am from Florida, took the NAPLEX today, and felt horrible. Checked the NABP website today, and the register for naplex is greyed out. is that a good sign?