Whats not to like about Baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All I've heard is praise and more praise. About the only negative things I've heard about Baylor are:

Houston (debatable)
Heat and humidity
Parking
Public transportation

There must be more, what do you know or have heard?

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard that their loss of the contract with methodist is a pretty big deal although they are trying to downplay it. i obviously don't know for sure bc i'm not going to school there but that's what i've heard

its not affiliated with an undergraduate school, so little things like a free gym and other college resources aren't there. Its actually a pretty significant difference from some other med schools which are integrated to a university campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
another thing: they don't have a department of emergency medicine...if you are interested in that specialty it might make a difference, but I really have no clue if it would

its not affiliated with an undergraduate school, so little things like a free gym and other college resources aren't there. Its actually a pretty significant difference from some other med schools which are integrated to a university campus.

Also true of Southwestern, no? It may be tougher to swing a non-medical combined degree program like MBA or JD with MD, but I think that it is actually an advantage to have a dedicated graduate/professional campus. In fact, I think that this is how Hopkins was originally founded. At my place, half of the class came from our undergrad campus, and I have to say that I find it annoying that people automatically assume that I am keeping up with the football team. With Baylor and UTSW, it seems like they are able to get a more diverse class.

another thing: they don't have a department of emergency medicine...if you are interested in that specialty it might make a difference, but I really have no clue if it would

I wouldn't let this affect your decision. If you go to Baylor and succeed, you stand an excellent chance of matching the EM residency of your choice.

Also true of Southwestern, no? It may be tougher to swing a non-medical combined degree program like MBA or JD with MD, but I think that it is actually an advantage to have a dedicated graduate/professional campus. In fact, I think that this is how Hopkins was originally founded. At my place, half of the class came from our undergrad campus, and I have to say that I find it annoying that people automatically assume that I am keeping up with the football team. With Baylor and UTSW, it seems like they are able to get a more diverse class.

Actually, Southwestern has a very nice gym/entertainment facilities for medical students. They gave us a tour of it, it has weight rooms, an indoor track, etc.

i've heard that their loss of the contract with methodist is a pretty big deal although they are trying to downplay it. i obviously don't know for sure bc i'm not going to school there but that's what i've heard

After reading more and more about this, i doubt it is going to affect the med students too much. It seems that its more so going to affect the administration, faculty, and residents (which in effect are affecting the med students, but it wont be that bad unless said people start leaving for other jobs because they are paying more money).

Right now though, Baylor is not affiliated with any single hospital, however, I believe their students, faculty, and residents still have some priority at St. Lukes and Methodist....as well as the VA. I hear a rumor that Baylor is in the works of building its own hospital here in a couple of years....i dont know if they broke ground or not.

All in all, passing up on Baylor because of this would be a bad idea...i'd stick through it for 4 years, then possibly find a different hospital/place to do residency. However, other students who actually go to Baylor could give a better perspective of whats up

Actually, Southwestern has a very nice gym/entertainment facilities for medical students. They gave us a tour of it, it has weight rooms, an indoor track, etc.

True--shoulda made myself clearer as to what I was talking about. I just meant that it doesn't have an undergraduate school specifically associated with it. I've never seen the student exercise area at UTSW, but I have been to Baylor and don't remember if they have one or not (but I'm sure somebody will be very quick to correct me so I'll just leave it at that).

About gyms and stuff--even though there are a lot of universities that have both medical colleges and undergraduate studies, it is extremely common to have the medical campus in a nearby urban area away from the undergrads equipped with a distinct student union, gym, library, financial aid office, etc. So while the undergrad campus of my university may have a top notch gym (don't know, haven't been there, couldn't find it if I had to, don't even know if my ID would get me in), the small room on the second floor of my health science center student union can only accommodate about 20 people at a time. While better than the other school I was considering a year ago this time, it wasn't exactly on the top of my priority list as far as medical school was considered.

I stayed with a 3rd year student when I interviewed there (and that's where I'll be going starting in 2007). Anyway, there are a couple of gyms nearby the school, but they are not free -- I'm sure it's cheap compared to med school tuition. Cost of living in Houston is very reasonable and there is plenty to do, so that will generate some cash savings that could be applied elsewhere (like a gym membership). For the student I stayed with, she said that they rotate through several hospitals and she was certainly happy with them and thought that her fellow students were as well. In terms of downsides, there really are not very many in my opinion. Rice, UT-H, and UH are nearby for people who want to do college stuff. Yes, their events are not free, but compared to the cost of living elsewhere, e.g., in a Dallas suburb, you probably come out even, if not ahead.

The main downside is the weather (hot & humid) and traffic can be bad depending on where you locate your home. Also, parking is not free. It's slightly more expensive than some of the other Texas schools, but much less expensive than say, Michigan (especially for in-state).

The loss of Methodist is not a big deal for Baylor. Methodist needed Baylor far more than Baylor needed Methodist in recent years. Most of the things that Methodist brought to the table can be (and have already begun to be) replicated at St. Luke's.

I'm honestly not sure what advantage the addition of a hospital that Baylor actually owns would bring to the school, other than as a bargaining chip (i.e. be nice to us or we'll take our world-renowned doctors and go home). It seems kind of redundant to me. But I guess it does offer the promise of stability for Baylor's programs, even though that's a bigger issue in people's imaginations than it is in real life.

To me, the biggest issue there is parking. Having to park at the remote lot and take the train or bus in adds a good 30-45 minutes to your overall commute. Which completely negates the advantage of living near the medical center, as the parking can turn a formerly 10 minute commute each way into a 30 minute commute. And the inconvenience of that is pretty invisible to the faculty since they get (and can afford) to park in the garages next to the hospitals.

I guess it's less of an issue for med students, since med students pretty much get screwed everywhere when it comes to parking. And really it doesn't matter much 1st and 2nd year. But 3rd year your parking privileges matter more than you would think right now. And as a resident, having to use more than one form of transportation to get to work (i.e. car + rail/bus) just adds an extra dose of hassle to an already difficult existence.

Now, don't get me wrong: Baylor is an amazing place to train, in just about any field. And you would do well for yourself by going there, regardless of the parking situation. But parking is huge, and you need to know that going in.

I am hereby yielding my position at my current school in exchange for anybody's spot at Baylor College of Medicine. In exchange, I will pay the difference in tuition and gladly park in Puerto Rico and swim to class each day.

Baylor does have a gym. It's not free (but membership is very cheap) nor is it spectacular (I'm told it's "guy friendly" because there are lots of free weights and few cardio machines). You can also get a membership to UT houston's gym (litteraly across the street from Baylor) which I've heard is pretty nice.

Baylor and Methodist did break up but, as other people have said, this doesn't affect students much. Baylor is affiliated with Ben Taub a HUGE county hospital and level one trauma center and the VA (also huge) so we aren't exactly lacking for learning opportunities.

While Baylor does not have a department of emergency medicine, students on their surgery rotations at Ben Taub spend a fair amount of time in the ED. For those who want to pursue EM as a residency, it is fairly simple to arrange an away elective at Memorial Hermann (next to Ben Taub but affiliated with UT houston) which is also a level 1 trauma center and home of Dr. Red Duke (yes he's a trauma surgeon not an EM doc but it's still cool watching him run traumas).

Yes parking does suck... a LOT... but if you carry something to study with you, you make the most out of waiting for/ riding public transportation/ shuttles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Parking is actually great if you don't mind paying $10/day. Carpool with 2 other students and then it is down to $16/week. I park less than 50 yards from class. Parking is free after 6 pm and on weekends. The lot is small though so you have to get there pretty early before it fills up.

Go baylor!

The gym that's "on-campus" is pretty small but very workable if you like basketball or free weights or ballet. Other than that, there's not much going on. However it's dirt-cheap compared to any other option (Rice, UT-H gym, commercial gym). I think it's $120 per year...

Parking is a problem. However, many people all over the country/world have to catch a bus or train to get wherever they're going everyday, right? It's not terrible.

And although we're not affiliated with an undergrad, Rice is certainly very friendly to the MBA students and UH seems to be for the MD/JD students (I guess someone in our class is going to be the first to do it?). Plus if you're MD/PhD you can get your PhD at Rice or Baylor, so that seems nice...

thanks! what better way to spend one's bday than with.....hard and soft tissues!

by the way, M.T. (Dr. Teruya's daughter) says "hi."

thanks! what better way to spend one's bday than with.....hard and soft tissues!

by the way, M.T. (Dr. Teruya's daughter) says "hi."

i spent half the day going over genetics (boo). now its time to move on to HST.

Anyhow, how do you know Dr. T's daughter. Is she still there? Tell her I said hello :)

They have this great feature on this board. It is called a private message. I like to procrastinate.

Oh, another thing not to like about Baylor, probably med school in general is the test schedule. We have 8 days of tests in the next 3 weeks. Tomorrow is HST which we finished more than a month ago. It would be nice to have the exam right after the class is finished so procrastinators like me don't try and learn everything for 7 classes the night before the exam.

I'm honestly not sure what advantage the addition of a hospital that Baylor actually owns would bring to the school, other than as a bargaining chip (i.e. be nice to us or we'll take our world-renowned doctors and go home). It seems kind of redundant to me.

I had a brief conversation with one of the Baylor department chairs about this very topic. Baylor's primary care clinic (the one that broke the camel's back with Methodist) has done quite well, but not having a Baylor-owned referral hospital means forgoing a ton of potential revenue. Despite the TMC, Houston is apparently still somewhat "underbedded" when compared to other major cities, so the demand is probably there.

The relationship with St. Luke's has been great, but they don't seem very interested in going head-to-head with the Methodist as the private uber-hospital at the TMC. Their long-term plan focuses on the suburban Houston healthcare system, which in my mind is a wise one. The catch is that it doesn't exactly help Baylor.

The proposed hospital site is currently occupied by a 1940's era apartment complex, and leases are not being renewed. The tentative plan, therefore, is to break ground some time in late 2007. Knowing Baylor, construction won't take longer than two years, although I haven't seen the exact magnitude of the project.

Again, to answer the OP's question: SteveUTexas

In all seriousness, yeah, parking is a problem, but really, you get used to it. Since most students live only a couple miles from school, they just ride the bus or take the rail, which doesn't -that- much time. My bus ride to school can take about 10-20 minutes (door to door). If you do live far away, you will most likely have to park in a remote lot and take the bus or rail in. I have a friend who lives in the Heights (near I-10) and she swears it takes her 20 minutes to get to school (door to door). I'm sure during off peak hours, it'll take longer, but really, it's just the nature of the beast. Plus, there are tons of ways to earn free parking tickets as a student which you can use whenever you want. I'm saving mine up for those mornings when I have to be at the hopsital at the ass crack of dawn.

In terms of the Baylor Hospital, apparently Baylor is the only top 20 school that does not have it's own hopsital. From what I've heard, St. Lukes and Baylors goals aren't aligned and Baylor hopes to gain more autonomy by building thier own hospital. I think theres a lot in the air about the hospital, particular departments and the relationship with St. Lukes. There was a good article in the chronicle describing the situation about a month ago, which I encourage y'all to read.

They have this great feature on this board. It is called a private message. I like to procrastinate.

Oh, another thing not to like about Baylor, probably med school in general is the test schedule. We have 8 days of tests in the next 3 weeks. Tomorrow is HST which we finished more than a month ago. It would be nice to have the exam right after the class is finished so procrastinators like me don't try and learn everything for 7 classes the night before the exam.

If you think YOUR MS2 Fall test schedule is bad, try being an MS2 last year when Rita came along!! Imagine having taken one (Block 7) exam a week during the first 4 weeks of Block 8, and then having to immediately gear back up for the Block 8 exams....especially tough considering we were all still studying for Block 7 during Block 8, so we didn't really start studing Block 8 until RIGHT before exams.

Sorry, just had to bitch and moan a little bit about "back when I was in your shoes..." :D Seriously though, hurricane or no hurricane, Block 8 exams are rough. I didn't really study AT ALL for the end of basic sciences exam because I was soooo burned out by that time.

Oh, and for all you Baylor MS2's out there, I have two words to help you through the Block 8 madness: Patrick Conway. Especially for HST and GI.

Oh, and for all you Baylor MS2's out there, I have two words to help you through the Block 8 madness: Patrick Conway. Especially for HST and GI.

Patrick Conway taught me HST and GI. Though I have never met him, he is wonderful. Best reviews EVER!!

Patrick Conway taught me HST and GI. Though I have never met him, he is wonderful. Best reviews EVER!!

Amen!!

I heard that he made an appearance at this year's 12 Days a couple weeks ago...I was sad that I was not there to see the face of this legendary figure.

Yes, it was surreal seeing the face of the man. I didn't really expect him to exist. Thought he was just a legend, a myth. No one REALLY makes reviews like that.

But there he was, giving us his usual high-yield tips and tricks.

To me, the biggest issue there is parking. Having to park at the remote lot and take the train or bus in adds a good 30-45 minutes to your overall commute. Which completely negates the advantage of living near the medical center, as the parking can turn a formerly 10 minute commute each way into a 30 minute commute. And the inconvenience of that is pretty invisible to the faculty since they get (and can afford) to park in the garages next to the hospitals.
Does anyone have any idea how much a monthly parking pass would cost for one of the garages?

Is there any kind of waiting list to buy one?

Is anyone allowed to get/buy a pass? If not, can the residents get/buy them?

Thanks in advance.

/questions abound

Does anyone have any idea how much a monthly parking pass would cost for one of the garages?

Is there any kind of waiting list to buy one?

Is anyone allowed to get/buy a pass? If not, can the residents get/buy them?

Thanks in advance.

/questions abound

Hi Boris,

Here are a couple of links that you can follow that include some phone numbers that you may want to call for details:

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/handbook/parking.html
http://www.texmedctr.tmc.edu/root/en/Visiting/Parking/ContractParking/ContractParkingFaqs.htm

If you still have questions, ask away. You may want to try the Baylor class thread (search for Baylor under Allopathic Class Thread).

So you're going to be a resident at Baylor?

All I've heard is praise and more praise. About the only negative things I've heard about Baylor are:

Houston (debatable)
Heat and humidity
Parking
Public transportation

There must be more, what do you know or have heard?

I have been at Baylor COM for 8 years (MSTP) and have lived in Houston about 25 years. The above is absoluetly the negative. Parking really blows, but there are many strategies to deal with that. Otherwise, excellent clinical education, more patient contact than you can imagine, and more affordable than pretty much any other top 20 medical school, tuition and living. I pay $850/month mortgage (own) for a very nice 3/2 1500 sf house with large yard that is a 20 minute drive to school in a safe neighborhood with top rated schools (It was $90K, now about $120K). Apartments closer in are of course more expensive, but nothing like any city near its size. The only negative thing missing is the pollution, which is bad in almost all big cities. The medical center will serve you well if no matter your interest if you are willing to go and seek opportunity.

Question about the organ-based curriculum (it might be relevant to this thread, because it might be one reason why the organ-based curriculum is inferior):

How does anatomy (lab) fit into that curriculum? Does anatomy lab really get stretched out with the organ-based schedule, or is anatomy taught in a more conventional non-organ-based style?

I just started med school at Baylor back in July, but must say that it has probably been the best experience of my life. I am amazed with the faculty and the quality of the lectures on a nearly daily basis.

As for living in Houston, it really is not all that bad. I did my undergrad in Miami and while the beaches here (Galveston) could never compare to S. Florida, there are definite perks to being near the medical center. The neighborhoods near the tmc and around Rice are some of the nicest, most beautiful neighborhoods in Houston. Hermann Park across the street is a great place to go running/biking or studying (gasp!). As far as parking/public transportion, most of my classmates (I would speculate >95%) ride the metro rail or buses. The rail runs every 5 minutes, and is way cheap (with student discount). For me, walk to rail, catch rail, ride rail, walk to Baylor totals about 15 min each way. Even some of my friends from big cities up north rave about how convenient and nice the rail is. So it's all perspective, and with a little planning you can turn a four year experience in Houston into a great one.

My brother goes to Baylor as an MD/PhD student. The split from Methodist has caused him much headache, and he is very unhappy with the new administration. He feels as though they are mugh stingier and uptight. (Something about bus passes, lab time, comp drinks...) From what I gather, the split hasn't really affected general students that much, though he does comment that it has effected MD/PhD'ers.

In addition, he talked about he felt he had a huge potporri (if you will) of information, much of it very specific, and upon general application in most cases useless. When completing rounds with UTHouston kids he felt they had a better basic understanding and more applicable skills. He says 'if you want to be Dr. House, you better be going to Baylor.' But...Obviously they know their stuff, just check out USMLE scores.

Also, as it is a fabulous school with a fabulous reputation, his first few years were HARD. (What med school isn't?) I would oftentime note him saying things like, "man I wish I would have taken the MD/PhD at ____" I don't think that given the chance he would go to another institution, however. Other students are, along with being fun and well rounded, extremely bright, and he has quoted that a good percentage of his class are the very very studious, competitive type. That was very hard for him, as he was in a major in undergrad that he naturally excelled in, and now had to compete with 'people who's only social interaction is with their textbook.'

But, he also says there's plenty of people that aren't. Obviously Baylor is going to gather some very well-rounded candidates as well.

Also, as it is a fabulous school with a fabulous reputation, his first few years were HARD. (What med school isn't?) I would oftentime note him saying things like, "man I wish I would have taken the MD/PhD at ____"
Do you know if the MDPhD students take all of their basic science classes with the regular med school students or do they take some of them with the grad students? I know at some schools, the MD/PhDs take some 1st year classes with the grad students, so they have really hardcore biochem, physio, etc. (really above and beyond what an MD would need, but they make them take it).

Do you know if the MDPhD students take all of their basic science classes with the regular med school students or do they take some of them with the grad students? I know at some schools, the MD/PhDs take some 1st year classes with the grad students, so they have really hardcore biochem, physio, etc. (really above and beyond what an MD would need, but they make them take it).

MD, PhD'ers take all of their coursework during medical school with the medical students. In grad school, it depends on which department and what you want to do.

Biggest bonus: you get 6 months of clinics before starting graduate school. Basic science is fairly useless as far as practical knowledge or research application.