Caristra

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
There's a thread in the premed section about holiday gifts for medical students. I'm wondering what the people actually in medical school want as compared to the suggestions the premeds are posting.

I posted my favorite gift ideas here in case my family happens to be googling looking for suggestion ;: : http://www.squidoo.com/best-gifts-for-medical-students

Mr hawkings

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
CASH ONLY.
Need to cover cost of step1 + Q bank

thedoctor8706

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Ohio
Status
Attending Physician
Seeing my girlfriend for the first time in way too long.

Sep 8, 2010
Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
Spa day!!!! After the last set of exams, I could use some pampering.

Massage, mani-pedi, spending the day in a jacuzzi/steamroom/sauna, drinking tea in a bathrobe in a zen environment= best gift ever.

Hoju

I don't want Fop.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A dishwasher with just the right curves, or a quick and easy meals cookbook, or even better . BEATUIFUL MONEY is the one that can't go wrong.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I posted my favorite gift ideas here in case my family happens to be googling looking for suggestion ;: : http://www.squidoo.com/best-gifts-for-medical-students
i've always wondered about that stupid flying alarm clock listed in the article. would it actually work in getting me out of bed? i have a terrible case of the "just 5 more minutes" syndrome.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Clothes. My 'white coat wardrobe' is severely lacking, especially since I spent the year and a half before med school wearing scrubs practically every day. So clothes and shoes make up the bulk of my list.

Amazon gift cards are up there too... I can buy whatever I want, from the ophthalmoscope I need next semester to a CD I was craving for those long nights studying.

And, of course, cash is always nice for food and other essentials.

DrDrToBe

10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2009
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A gift card for maid service...weekly, bimonthly, whatever. I don't have a dishwasher, so I spend a ton of time doing dishes. Having someone come in to do my laundry, vacuum, dust, clean kitchen and bathroom would save me so much time, it would be close to my idea of heaven right now. Funny how I never noticed how much time that stuff took before med school, now I can pretty much tell down to the minute how much time it takes me to do dishes after dinner.

ruiner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just spent like 500 on clothes today. So cash.

OP
Caristra

Caristra

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I think I would like maid service too. I would possibly trade all my gifts (holiday, birthday, anniversary) for maid service. But it's so darn expensive.

Nov 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm not really expecting anything for holidays since we never exchange gifts in my family. I've never done it with friends either.
But yeah, money is always a good idea.

susearzt

MikroArzt
10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Medical Student
I made an amazon wish list for my mom to look at. At the top? My text books for next term and a pair of dress shoes I like (again with the white coat clothes).

shadowfox87

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Food! These days food is the best gift. I don't want any electronics, clothes, books, cash, gift cards, etc. Just food. No point getting ps3 if there's no time to play it. A smart-phone would be the only useful thing I can think of in terms of electronics.

waitwhat

Bagel Technician
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone who buys me anything specifically aimed at helping me through med school will get punched unless I asked for it.
a square shot to the groin. i'll happily accept a midi board and a glass of maker's mark.