What's Our "Liar's Poker"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DavidLetterman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Investment Banking has Liar's Poker, Barbarians at the Gates, and some other classics. What's medicine's equivalent. What book celebrates being a doctor and makes it seem like the ultimate bad ass career?

Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

DavidLetterman said:
Investment Banking has Liar's Poker, Barbarians at the Gates, and some other classics. What's medicine's equivalent. What book celebrates being a doctor and makes it seem like the ultimate bad ass career?

Any recommendations?

Shem's "House of God" is the closest to that genre.

medicine doesn't suck like i-banking...we don't need a book to make our career "seem" badass :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
jbrice1639 said:
medicine doesn't suck like i-banking...we don't need a book to make our career "seem" badass :cool:

Thanks. Really helpful. You know what sucks too, Law. Medicine is better than law. Because in medicine you save lives. Sometimes with a stethoscope. Its also better than teaching. And writing. And Journalism. It the best field in the world.

In fact, its so awesome there's no need to write about it in an informative exciting way.

And finding out what authors might write about medicine in this way is a complete waste of time. :cool:

DavidLetterman said:
Thanks. Really helpful. You know what sucks too, Law. Medicine is better than law. Because in medicine you save lives. Sometimes with a stethoscope. Its also better than teaching. And writing. And Journalism. It the best field in the world.

In fact, its so awesome there's no need to write about it in an informative exciting way.

And finding out what authors might write about medicine in this way is a complete waste of time. :cool:
You broke my sarcasm-o-meter. You owe me a new one.

i think we don't have a liars poker type book (though i agree house of god is the closest thing) because there's no sudden immersion into medicine the way there is in finance. we get broken in over four years of school so there's not the same culture shock.
however if your med school experience is as juicy as one of those banking books , you should definitely write about it ;)

satsuma said:
i think we don't have a liars poker type book (though i agree house of god is the closest thing) because there's no sudden immersion into medicine the way there is in finance. we get broken in over four years of school so there's not the same culture shock.
however if your med school experience is as juicy as one of those banking books , you should definitely write about it ;)

There must be some great books out there. I would hope that ER, Scrubs, and Grey's Anatomy aren't the only media that celebrate medicine! Doesn't anyone have some recommendations?

complications, by atul gawande :thumbup:

Uh, I don't think Liar's Poker "celebrates" banking or makes it seems like a bad-ass career...it makes banking out to be the worst possible thing you could decide to do with your life. That's what I got out of it, anyways. Reminded me of One L by Scott Turow.

luke77 said:
Uh, I don't think Liar's Poker "celebrates" banking or makes it seems like a bad-ass career...it makes banking out to be the worst possible thing you could decide to do with your life. That's what I got out of it, anyways. Reminded me of One L by Scott Turow.

Yeah, it does - Liar's poker celebrates hot shot bankers as being "Big Swinging Dicks" and idolizes those balsy types who are even willing to risk hundreds of thousands of dollars on games of chance. The book was considered a glamorous one by many who were trying to prove themselves in this cutthroat field. While that was likely not the author's intent, it was well read by the I banker community, and quite a few phrases from the book made it into the I banking vernacular. "One L" is a different kind of pook, as it is about law school, not law practice; the film and TV series "The Paper Chase" is basically the same thing. School and practice are night and day, and so you really can't make a strong comparison. "Double Billing" by Stratcher is more in line with being Liar's Poker for a young associate's life at a law firm, but in my opinion contains a lot of inaccuracy and a bit too much whining by the main character. At any rate, I still think House of God is the only book of that "bad ass" tradition and genre for medicine. Watching Dr. Rey on Dr. 90210 is probably the next closest.

Oh, (sheepish grin) haha, sorry. I was just reading that post on the other forum and got all sorts of disgusted by him. That's my bad.

Oops, I was thinking of Monkey Business, not Liar's Poker. My bad.

luke77 said:
Oops, I was thinking of Monkey Business, not Liar's Poker. My bad.

House of God... I'll pick that up... maybe ghim's recommendation as well...

In the mean time I'll guess I'll just go watch the DVD collection of "House".

Now there's a badass. He never gets the case wrong, and it's always so hard to diagnose!