What's so special about Wake Forest?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ChymeChancellor, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    I had been wondering why Wake Forest has such a high reputation around here and other pre-meds. I am considering just adding it to my designated schools on my AMCAS to see if I get the secondary.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    cause it sorta rhymes with "chuck norris"

4. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    Ahhh... it's all so clear now. :oops:

5. top

Resident [Any Field]
    I honestly don't know where you got that opinion. Wake's got a solid reputation (and deserves it), but not disproportionately so.

6. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Unfortunately, I think that the place has been mentioned a lot recently because it was one of the first places to start rejecting applications.

7. LauraPaz

LauraPaz Senior Member

Medical Student
    I loved it when I visited for undergrad. I was rather disappointed with it throughout the med school application process though. I mean, I'm sure it produces fine physicians, but they just weren't very keen to impress me. Based on both my own research, and their responses to me whenever I had questions, they didn't really seem all that fabulous. I was bummed, I really liked their undergrad programs!

8. coco11

coco11 will settle for roses

Medical Student
    It's in N. Carolina :D

9. TCIrish03

TCIrish03 Senior Member

Non-Student
    Basketball, and close proximity to Duke and N.C.

10. LauraPaz

LauraPaz Senior Member

Medical Student
    Ooooo, but they hate Duke! We got a discount on our hotel when I visited them in high school just for saying we didn't like Duke!

11. medstylee

medstylee 1K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    there's always a lot of talk about wake forest this time of the year, because this is right around when they make their massive wave of pre-secondary rejections. a lot of people thought that there did not seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they made their cuts last year, so that generates a lot of threads on here as well. i think it's actually a good thing that they cut a lot of their applicants before they have to pay the secondary fee. at the same time, though, i understand how it freaks people out to get rejected from a school in july.

threads will inevitably materialize about this too, but just beware that, if you make it passed the secondary, be sure to call every once in a while to check your status. it seems like a lot of people get interviews at wake when they call to check their status - certainly different than at most other schools.

12. TCIrish03

TCIrish03 Senior Member

Non-Student
    I meant it's a quick drive to see Wake play against rival Duke.

Wasn't so easy flying out to Los Angeles to see ND play USC

13. Avalanche21

Avalanche21 Senior Member

I'm not sure what attracted me to wake. I had heard of them through basketball, and I was passing their profile in a princeton review book. It said that they had above average board scores and a good reputation. I decided to apply just for kicks, and I seemed to really like their program. And also, having me as a member of the class of 2011 also makes it extra popular :D (I'm not conceited or anything)

14. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: really? :eek:

15. joanofarc0907

joanofarc0907 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As a maryland student, I am obligated to [email protected]#$ Duke

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. EmoryMD

EmoryMD Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Their school is incredibly wired, too. Every student gets a laptop upon matriculation. I think you also get a PDA when you enter your third year for clinicals. It's pretty ridiculous. They also have a great OB/GYN program, with a whole hospital almost exclusively for OB/GYN and women's health. I have a friend whose dad is doing a fellowship there. He really likes it.

18. CTtarheel

CTtarheel Senior Member

Medical Student
    for future reference, it's spelled DOOK.

19. LauraPaz

LauraPaz Senior Member

Medical Student
    Haha, yeah, it was pretty funny actually. Granted, we also visited right around the NCAA basketball finals, and I'm going to assume Wake fans were a little bitter that Duke made it so far that year ;)

20. I just wish they weren't so damn slow processing my application. I had wondered why my app was in review for so long, turns out they sent me a letter I recieved yesterday stating that I had to have my advisor write a letter to them stating I would finish my master degree by July of next year. Now this is fine and all, but it took nearly a week for the letter to get here, and it says if they don't recieve a reply by within 3 weeks of the date on the letter, my app is withdrawn from consideration. Thank god it got here this week, since my advisor is leaving the country for 3 weeks on Friday.

Still, this had better mean that I am getting a secondary as soon as they get that letter, or I am going to be pissed that they are wasting my time.

21. Pemberley

Pemberley Senior Member

Medical Student
    I got that one too. It's idiocy! My advisor's out of town for most of the summer; I have no confidence that I can get them this paperwork in three weeks! I wonder why they didn't think through how much less paperwork would be involved for everybody if they warned us sternly now and asked us for documentation only when & if we are admitted -- or whether they thought through how much paperwork our poor advisors would have to do if every one of the ~20 schools on our lists indulged in this sort of silliness.

22. spursss

spursss Member

To people who got rejected from Wake Forest, how long did it take from the initial e-mail they sent saying that they have your application, to the e-mail that said you are not accepted?

23. spospo

spospo Going to extremes

Medical Student

i received the login ID stuff on July 14 and received the rejection on July 20

24. dantt

dantt Member

Medical Student
    They tissue-engineered a bladder! It was in the news awhile ago and I'm part of the tissue engineering community so it was HUGE news.

25. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER

Medical Student
    Probably because they want to be sure of it before they take the time to read and process your application. Getting lots of paperwork from applicants is easier for them than considering your app.

Sure, when they do stuff like that, it makes a lot of work for applicants, but they aren't the applicants, so they don't really care that much. That's just how the application process works, unfortunately.

26. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class
    Physician

Attending Physician
    It was huge news here at Wake Forest too :D

27. maestro1625

Medical Student
    I have to say though, I added wake as a school about a week ago, and got thier secondary on friday... no problems with them at all so far.

28. MSTP?

MSTP? Senior Member

29. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    i think this will be more and more widespread as hospitals and doctors' offices go paperless or try to. TCOM students are charged $2k in their tuition for their laptops. haha.

anyway, what would be good stats to add wake forest? i know there's no rhyme or reason, but i was wondering if my stats would make the pre-secondary cut. 3.39cumgpa, 32Q mcat?

30. Dr John Galt

Dr John Galt Junior Member

Medical Student
    I think they seem to go after people who may not have 40 mcat scores but might have something interesting in the application that catches their eye. They also seem to have great representation here on SDN, and those students that do post seem to be really enjoying their first, second, third years. I get a sense that Wake may be really different in terms of camaraderie (aka less competition) and lots of non-traditional applicants who seem to be tight-knit. It's just a feeling I get from the posts & I have pretty damn good intuition.

That is my two cents!:thumbup:

JG

31. MSTP?

MSTP? Senior Member

32. nockamura

nockamura Senior Member

I think that our OB/GYN rotation is through Forsyth which is down the street and not in Baptist. I don't think we even have an OB floor here at Baptist.

33. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Everyone was super nice, great vibe. If you go interview you'll understand, it was pretty great.

34. BuckeyeForBass

BuckeyeForBass Ready, Steady, Go.

Pre-Medical
    Cosmosis - wicked avatar. Turtles one for the NES ... gold, baby.

35. Giro

Giro New Member

Pre-Medical
    Wakeforest is not special, unless sucking hard counts. If you only read this board you would think UC Irvine was the best school in Cali. Needy, insecure premeds need to build up the school where they might actually have a chance, so when the reach schools reject them they can pretend to be happy. Same thing with Wash U, which is a ****ty school no one has heard of beyond SDN, yet people talk about it like it's the second coming of Christ.

36. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    hahaha then i guess i'm going to waste $30. thanks.

37. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member

Medical Student
    <30 MCAT, <3.5 BCPM & Overall GPA and got a secondary.

38. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    lol dammmittttt. back to square one. haha.

39. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    One of the hardest games I've ever played, never actually beat it.

40. MSTP?

MSTP? Senior Member

41. Guile

Guile 1K Member

Defend your statements. Why do you think Wake sucks? And WashU? What are you smoking? WashU's a great school.

42. g3pro

g3pro Dr. Mogley

If by great, you meant great at non-specifically accepting applicants on the basis of high MCAT and GPA alone, you'd be right.

43. Guile

Guile 1K Member

True, they do accept seemingly solely on the basis of high MCAT and GPA, but the research that comes out of there is excellent. They also have an outstanding surgery program. :thumbup:

Why do you think it's not a good school? :confused:

44. Dave_D

Dave_D Senior Member

Wait, they cut the pool to a 1/3 pre or post secondary? Just curious because my GPA isn't 3.5 and I got a secondary.(Ok, so lately it's pretty good. However you combine it with all my old course work that I was taking when most of you kids were in kindergarden and I don't have a 3.5 either BCMP or overall.:D )

45. MSTP?

MSTP? Senior Member

46. Dave_D

Dave_D Senior Member

Well definitely mitigating factors in my case.(IE undergrad was so long ago and I actually didn't screw up post-bacc.) Still I just checked on AAMC and I see they get about 6k~ apps so even 1/3 of that is 2k~ apps for 100~ slots. Oh well, things could be worse.

47. medpro

medpro Member

Posting for a friend from last cycle who is not on SDN:

3.18 overall (due to grades from 8 yrs ago), 3.69sci.gpa, 29MCAT, not URM, top interview pool after secondary, accepted, matriculated July, 2006.

Wake took the time to look at the whole picture.

48. Guile

Guile 1K Member

Anyone have Wake's match list, out of curiosity? I am interested to see how strong it is.

49. FutureNeuroStud

FutureNeuroStud Ahhh...vacation

MD/PhD Student
    Wake has a good reputation for lots of reasons. They have some hot research going on in the area of regenerative medicine right now, not to mention some other good stuff in the cancer dept. They get you in and seeing patients from the first year, unlike a lot of other schools. Also, Winston's a great town. It's small enough that it feels like everyone there knows each other, but big enough that there's stuff to do (however, not so much as to distract you into failing out of med school).

On a diff note: at Wake, secondary = interview.

**In case you couldn't tell, I'm from Winston.

50. Guile

Guile 1K Member

Yeah, Winston-Salem is a really nice city. Old Salem is really cool to visit. It's almost like going back in time with the cobblestone streets and all. There's a neat restaurant there where you're served with Colonial dishes and the staff wears Colonial clothing and all. Great food, too.

Also, there's a building in W-S after which the Empire State Building is modeled. I don't think that's a well-known fact.

They even have a Costco within a close distance from the med school. :thumbup:

51. Avalanche21

Avalanche21 Senior Member

I guess this could be true, but getting your app complete is important too, cause otherwise you're just interviewing for waitlist spots

52. Dave_D

Dave_D Senior Member

Wait, so you mean I've got a really good shot at my first interview now, I hope you're right:D