What's something you don't want us to know about you? (interview q)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fargofargo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I go about answering this question? A joke? A weakness response?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm tall... but suck at basketball...? I like to pretend that I'm really good at it though so shhh...don't tell anyone about it. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
"...sometimes I tear up at the same commercials that my wife does..."

EDIT: I mean, some other dude I know said that.

Seriously though, I think the best way to answer these questions are to answer them honestly, but not too honestly. Come up with a weakness you've struggled with for your entire life, but have had to overcome to succeed at what you're doing. Likely, you still struggle with it, and have to make a concerted effort because it doesn't come naturally.
For example: I've never been that organized with my time, and it has cost me dearly in so and so ways. I still struggle with this, but i have found that recently i've had to balance a lot of different things. to deal with this, i've done X, Y, and Z.

What would you do if they ask you this question right after they asked you the standard "greatest strength/weakness" question? Would it be appropriate to come to this topic again with this question?

Hmmmm. If it were me, I'd probably not go back to the weaknesses. I'd probably just defer to something mildly vulnerable, that would be expected of anyone in your situation.
Something like: 'I'd rather you not know that my hands are shaking right now because I'm so nervous....' expounding a little more on that. It's probably not a real juicy answer, but also not one that makes them wonder. I'd rather them roll their eyes at my answer to this one than raise their eyebrows. Nah mean?

I would keep another weakness in mind for this question. Maybe your biggest weakness? something you don't necessarily want to say, but not something like "I like kill people and bury their bodies in my backyard"…Def don't give them a bs answer because they'll be able to see right through that.

This is just another form of "What's your biggest weakness" or "What would you change about yourself." Give an honest answer, not "I work too hard" or "I'm too caring" or some cliche like that. Close your eyes and try to see yourself from an outside perspective and assess one of your flaws as a person. When you tell admissions about it, they will recognize and appreciate your sincerity and honesty.

The important thing to convey in your answer, however, is that you have addressed this flaw and resolved it, demonstrating growth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Great input guys! Ya I think I will be preparing along the lines of weakness topics.