Jul 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Certain degrees from certain universities are at times not recognized in some other countries.

For example Cambridge degrees are not recognized in India.

What degree is the most widely recognized? Somethign that will be recognized in virtually any nation.

bambi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
England
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I doubt any are recognised everywhere. I imagine a UK one is pretty well recognised, we can practice anywhere in the EU, Australia, New Zealand without any extra exams, US (by taking the same exams US folk do) and I imagine lots of other places too. Surely you are pretty well set with a US MD too.

How do you even go about finding out if a Cambridge degree is recognised in India anyway? They don't give and MBBS or MD by the way in case that's how you searched.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would be shocked to hear that English degrees aren't recognized in India, or anywhere in the old empire for that matter.

schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
Aren't US medical degrees pretty well recognized? So I say something like a medical degree from Harvard. But I do not know anything about which degrees are recognized where so I don't know.

Snarkalark

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2009
Arizona
Status
Pre-Medical
I found this forum to ask this very question. Can someone explain the general process of moving across countries as a board certified physician(either to compatible or incompatible countries)? Also, when you say "extra tests", are these just local boards, or is there training time involved too?

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I found this forum to ask this very question. Can someone explain the general process of moving across countries as a board certified physician(either to compatible or incompatible countries)? Also, when you say "extra tests", are these just local boards, or is there training time involved too?
It depends on a LOT of variables.

It depends on where you trained, where you are planning on moving to, the specialty, and the employer.

For example, in the US to be licensed as a physician, you must take and pass the USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3. Individual states may require additional exams, depending on the length of time since your training. Most states require at least 1 year of graduate medical training, usually in the US, to be eligible for a full and unrestricted license.

Hospitals and employers may require being Board Certification or at the very least, Board Eligibility, to be on staff. Board Certification is entirely separate from licensure. Whether or not you can be BE without having trained in the US is up to the specialty. Except in extreme cases, it is not possible with general surgery, for example. You can apply for credit for 2 years of foreign training but must be in a US residency program to be granted that credit.

There is no way to give you an exact answer without knowing where you have trained, where you are planning on moving and what specialty we are talking about as the answers are very broad. In general it is best to train in the country in which you practice because you cannot count on the training being accepted in other countries.

Snarkalark

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2009
Arizona
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the info. I was specifically asking with regard to an EM specialty having trained in the US. I was just wondering how relatively transferable that training would be to other generally well established countries and what such a move to another country would require. I can't really get more specific because this is all theoretical - I'm just fishing for information on the subject.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for the info. I was specifically asking with regard to an EM specialty having trained in the US. I was just wondering how relatively transferable that training would be to other generally well established countries and what such a move to another country would require. I can't really get more specific because this is all theoretical - I'm just fishing for information on the subject.
Fair enough.

It might be prudent to ask in the country specific forms about how you would go about transitioning from US EM residency to working in that country. I'm sure some of the posters can direct you.

Here is some information for Australia OTDs: http://www.doctorconnect.gov.au/

OP
T
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm sorry everyone.

My exams kept me a bit busy.

Oh well, there was a big issue of Cambridge degrees not being recognized in India. AIIMS, India's top medical school appointed a Cambridge Doc in one of their senior posts but immediately the IMC created an issue over this saying that his degree isn't recognized. And, you can find a list of the recognized medical schools by going to the website of that country's medical council or by calling them over.