bruceleehiiiyaa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
seems like on some recent test dates, people say its on par with expectations, and on other days, people say it's suicide.

is the general consensus that some dates (random/unpredictable) are miserably hard (hopefully better curve) and some dates are somewhat easier (but with a more difficult curve) ?

or are all test dates usually the same in terms of difficulty ? what do you guys think?

go lakers

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
took it twice and on both days the test seemed harder than any practice test (esp BS). but curve worked itself out in the end.

its all about keeping your head on straight during the exam and reminding yourself that you (should) know everything you need to know to answer the most obscure passages.

OP
bruceleehiiiyaa

bruceleehiiiyaa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
took it twice and on both days the test seemed harder than any practice test (esp BS). .
no no, i mean, it is harder inbetween actual tests. as in, is one test date examination harder than say, another test date. i.e 6/18 vs. 7/2 or something like that.

partinerns

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The general consensus seems to be that while test day is harder to some degree than the practice tests, the variation in difficulty between actual test days is at best negligable, and at worst, compensated by a more lenient curve. It wouldn't be fair (or an objective metric) otherwise.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
Right. I mean, if it's harder, you get a better curve. If it's easy, the curve is worse. The MCAT folks minimize the variation as best they can. Statistically, it shouldn't matter if you take the test on one day as opposed to another.