What's the average # of schools people apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have official statistics? One of my professors was shocked when I told him that I am applying to 14 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I heard that the average is between 15 and 20 schools. At any rate, 14 isn't an odd number of schools to apply to at all.

Originally posted by Curci
I think I heard that the average is between 15 and 20 schools. At any rate, 14 isn't an odd number of schools to apply to at all.

That is correct; 14 is an even number. :cool:
I am applying to 26. California resident. I'm not usually a nut like this. For college I only applied to 6 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew when I wrote that that someone was going to make that pun. Good show, sir! ;)

There was a great thread that was created for those of us who have started/will start medical school this year. It listed the number of school applied to, interviews, acceptances, waitlists, and rejections. The range was 1 to 30-something. I'll try to search and bump it up.

For the 2001 entering class, the average number of applications per applicant was 11.6 (link). The data for the 2002 entering class will be published in about 2 months (maybe earlier).

I'm a CA resident and I applied to 11. Even that was too much. 3 or 4 of those applications were a total waste of time -- schools I didn't even like but wanted to see if I'd get in.

Most people here in Texas are shocked to know that people in the rest of the country HAVE to apply to that many schools. Most people here apply to the eight here or less. If they can't get accepted to at least one of the schools here, there's basically no need to apply out of state then, because the chances won't be any better. Myself, I applied to all eight schools here in Texas plus three national schools just to see how I compared to the national pool as well.

Originally posted by souljah1
There was a great thread that was created for those of us who have started/will start medical school this year. It listed the number of school applied to, interviews, acceptances, waitlists, and rejections. The range was 1 to 30-something. I'll try to search and bump it up.

Here it is. The statistics that mpp so helpfully compiled for the SDNers who applied last year are on the last page of the thread. I bumped it up.

14 schools....I figure someone is bound to take me.

I had a poll going for this current year, but it keeps fallin' off the front page.

It seemed to be a nice normal distribution with the median the 15-20 group.