What's the best advice you've ever received.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msamp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. What's the best advice you have ever received or heard?
I've got two:

1. Life always changes, the bad is temporary but so is the good so appreciate it while it's there. (9th grade religion teacher.)

2. Never let anyone make you feel that you deserve less than you want. (can't remember who told me or where I heard it)

Members don't see this ad.

"Never let luxuries become necessities." -high school teacher

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change yourself."

"You're allowed to dream, son. Just like everyone else. No one can take that away from you."

"Put your [censored Spanish swear word] pants on, [censored English swear word]."

Members don't see this ad :)
From one of my biology professors. Someone was freaking out about having to repeat a quarter and this is what he did:

He wrote these numbers on the board: 70, 80, 90, 100
He asked us if we knew anyone who died a natural death at 70, and a few people raised their hands. He asked us if we knew anyone who died a natural death at 80, and a few people raised their hands etc until he reached 100. He then drew a line connecting 70 to 100 and asked us how many of us cry about how little time a person had on earth when an 80 year old dies. Then he pointed out that 30 years separates 70 to 100 and we rarely cry over those lost years when a person in that age bracket dies so why cry over three months? Three months... Thirty years... He then said many of us choose to shorten our lives by not taking care of ourselves, and knowingly rob ourselves of decades, and then sit there and pout about being delayed three months.

Do not let the fear of losing (striking out) keep you from playing the game.

From one of my biology professors. Someone was freaking out about having to repeat a quarter and this is what he did:

He wrote these numbers on the board: 70, 80, 90, 100
He asked us if we knew anyone who died a natural death at 70, and a few people raised their hands. He asked us if we knew anyone who died a natural death at 80, and a few people raised their hands etc until he reached 100. He then drew a line connecting 70 to 100 and asked us how many of us cry about how little time a person had on earth when an 80 year old dies. Then he pointed out that 30 years separates 70 to 100 and we rarely cry over those lost years when a person in that age bracket dies so why cry over three months? Three months... Thirty years... He then said many of us choose to shorten our lives by not taking care of ourselves, and knowingly rob ourselves of decades, and then sit there and pout about being delayed three months.

That's a good one :(

*Writes all these down*

But in all seriousness, not sure the best advice I ever received but one of the most memorable was that no one ever listens to you when you say something is unjust if you can't beat the game. Then you'll just become another bitter loser making excuses. First show that you can not only play the game, but excel at it and be the best. Then they listen.

"don't hate the player, hate the game"

but seriously, the ones posted above are pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should cut, not bulk.

Is this you bro?

skinny-guy.jpeg

Things happen for a reason and you will always find yourself right where you belong.

"Never let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

First heard the quote in high school. Changed my life. When you liberate yourself from the confines and limitations of the education system, you realize how much there is to truly learn.

"Zyzz died for us, through him we reach aesthetic salvation"

You will always know how much money you have. You will never know how much time you have.

Are you a good person? Are you capable of great things? Prove it.

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life. Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

"Time wasted can never be regained." -My dad

My favorite, although it's more like best quote:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Marianne W.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

"Time wasted can never be regained." -My dad

My favorite, although it's more like best quote:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Marianne W.

Wow.... Just wow... That quote is incredible

Hey guys. What's the best advice you have ever received or heard?
I've got two:

1. Life always changes, the bad is temporary but so is the good so appreciate it while it's there. (9th grade religion teacher.)

2. Never let anyone make you feel that you deserve less than you want. (can't remember who told me or where I heard it)

"Get out while you still can!" -Me

"Why would anyone want to do medicine anymore? Go be a dentist." -EM Doc

j/k...sorta! :laugh:

"Pay my dues. I ain't came to lose. I wear Marvin Blackman tennis shoes. In the wintertime, mink coat to match, sitting on the floor in (with) my candy 'lac."

"Don't let your dreams be dreams" - Jack Johnson

"All good things come to an end."

"Who dares, wins."

"Live for something, or die for nothing."

And this is not exactly "advice", but it's one of my favorite dialogues from a very popular movie:

Kumar: So you get high and then you put other people who smoke weed in jail?
George W. Bush: Duh!
Kumar: That's so hypocritical!
George W. Bush: Oh yeah, well let me ask you something Kuuuummmaaarr. You like giving hand jobs?
Kumar: No sir.
George W. Bush: You like getting hand jobs?
Kumar: Yeah!
George W. Bush: Well that makes you a f*****g hypocriticizer too, so shut the f**k up and smoke my weed.

Bottom line, don't be a hypocrite!

Three things:
1. Be confident and don't listen to naysayers.
2. Delayed gratification.
3. Find a mentor
-Dr. Hutcherson (Columbia University P/S)

"All good things come to an end."

"Who dares, wins."

"Live for something, or die for nothing."

And this is not exactly "advice", but it's one of my favorite dialogues from a very popular movie:

Kumar: So you get high and then you put other people who smoke weed in jail?
George W. Bush: Duh!
Kumar: That's so hypocritical!
George W. Bush: Oh yeah, well let me ask you something Kuuuummmaaarr. You like giving hand jobs?
Kumar: No sir.
George W. Bush: You like getting hand jobs?
Kumar: Yeah!
George W. Bush: Well that makes you a f*****g hypocriticizer too, so shut the f**k up and smoke my weed.

Bottom line, don't be a hypocrite!

Which film was that? Escape from Guatemala Bay or the last one?

"See, ya are what ya are in this world. That's either one of two things: Either you're somebody, or you ain't nobody."

When the red river flows, take the dirt road - Someone wise

"There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness."

From my favorite book in the world.

Blame it on the a-a-a-autocorrect.

"You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it's better to listen to what it has to say."
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

"Because true love never keeps a man from pursuing his destiny"

"When each day is the same as the rest it's because people fail to reconize the good things that happen in their lives every day the sun rises,"

"To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation."

"The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better. Forget about the future, and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children. Each day, in itself, brings with it an eternity."

"Be who you are when you're there" - High School English Teacher

"Those who build walls are their own prisoners. I'm going to go fulfill my proper function in the social organism. I'm going to go and unbuild walls." - The Dispossessed

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
-Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption