What's the best advice you've ever received.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down-Bernie Focker

Members don't see this ad.

Everything in this thread is starting to resemble the banal quotations that I use in my English essays.

"My significance is found in pointing to something far more significant"

- Lecrae

Members don't see this ad :)
easy. "don't borrow money you can't afford to pay back." - some dude on tv.

"If you wanna crown 'em, then crown their ass!!!!!!!"

- Dennis Green

"I don't care who you play, whether it's a high-school team, junior college team, college team, much less NFL team...... Play-offs!? Don't talk about play-OFFS!? You kiddin' me? Play-OFFS? I just hope we can win a game"

-Jim Mora Sr.

"Laugh, and the world laugh's with you, weep, and you weep alone" - Oldboy

"Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash!" -Stinger

"A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended." -Batman

"You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life." Steve Jobs

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I don't know if I would call it advice, but the most motivating thing I ever heard was when my pre-med adviser said to me in my sophomore year, "you may want to think about schools in the Caribbean." That completely changed my motivation and perspective, and it was the singular moment that reshaped the way I applied myself to my studies. True story. I look back at that moment now as the turning point in my pre-med career.

"In three words, I sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on"

"How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

Best advice I've ever given:​

Friend (while driving last night): Jesus gods!
Me: Hey! Monotheistic interjections while listening to the worship station, please. Thank you.
Friend: .....​

Never eat in a Vietnamese restaurant next to a pound. :rolleyes:

YZH6m.jpg

I once saw this on a plaque:

"I learned how to win by learning to lose, that is, not being afraid of losing."- Jeff Blatnick 1984 Olympic Gold Medalist in Wrestling

Good for SDN,

"DON'T PANIC." - Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I once saw this on a plaque:

"I learned how to win by learning to lose, that is, not being afraid of losing."- Jeff Blatnick 1984 Olympic Gold Medalist in Wrestling

Good advice. :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-P509 using SDN Mobile

You'll never be a man, much less a doctor. - My dad.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

“You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it's better to listen to what it has to say.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

“Because true love never keeps a man from pursuing his destiny”

“When each day is the same as the rest it's because people fail to reconize the good things that happen in their lives every day the sun rises,”

“To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation.”

“The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better. Forget about the future, and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children. Each day, in itself, brings with it an eternity.”

a truly motivational book :thumbup:

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
-Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

GREAT movie! :thumbup:

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, Learn as if you were live forever" - Mahatma Gandhi

:thumbup: What I say to people who are always just planning for the future...also they should watch the movie UP.

"
"Laugh, and the world laugh's with you, weep, and you weep alone" - Oldboy

Love this quote......sometimes you need to laugh so you don't cry. :thumbup:

Awesome thread OP! there are some really great things on here and it truly shows the kind of people that go into medicine...I think all of the hard work and sacrifices we make in medical school will be worth it because we are going to be in a group of amazing people doing some really amazing things.

"Son, your ego is writing checks your body can’t cash!" -Stinger

"A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders, to let him know the world hadn’t ended." -Batman

LOL. "Mav, you still have the number of that truck-driving school? Was it 1-800...."

Mine:

"Don't touch that, it's hot."

My favorites:

"Work hard in silence... And let success make the noise."

I gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which I must stop and look fear in the face... I say to myself, I've lived through this and can take the next thing that comes along... We must do the things we think we cannot do.
~Eleanor Roosevelt

The art of travel is to deviate from one's plans.

"Man is nothing else than evolution become conscious of itself."