What's the best first gun to own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Headed in to the Post Office for my quarterly estimated rendering unto Caesar, and I had this fantasy. What if, instead of shipping all this money into the black hole that is the IRS, I was expecting a definitive return... say NFA stamps.

What would I apply those 65 stamps to?

Don't forget to pay your taxes today.

-pod

:laugh::laugh:

I hate sending those checks out every few months... At least this year ours are quite a bit smaller... our AGI last year was about 1/2 of the previous years because of all of the medical bills (twins are expensive) and deductions. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan on getting your CCW (concealed weapons permit) I would highly recommend that your first firearm be a pistol. I would also recommend, if you are purchasing this weapon for self-defense to be a revolver because semi-autos often jam. If it is not for self-defense I would recommend one of two guns. If you are looking for a cheaper firearms look for a sig-sauer 9mm. DO NOT BUY A GLOCK. GLOCKS are terrible. The recoil they sustain is absolutely horrendous. It is like putting a .44 caliber hollow point in a .22. Anyway, if you want to purchase a more expensive firearm I would highly recommend a Model 1911 .45. Kimber makes a very nice one known as a Kimber Goldmatch .45. They are difficult to come by but they are beautiful (I have a silver wood gripped one) dead accurate, any have very low recoil for a .45 caliber firearm. I own many guns take it from me...

DO NOT BUY A GLOCK. GLOCKS are terrible. The recoil they sustain is absolutely horrendous. It is like putting a .44 caliber hollow point in a .22.

I agree completely. This is why I got one with a rail. You just do a little milling and slide a 5 pound weight on the end of there as a counterbalance and it shoots like a .22 out of a deagle.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on getting your CCW (concealed weapons permit) I would highly recommend that your first firearm be a pistol. I would also recommend, if you are purchasing this weapon for self-defense to be a revolver because semi-autos often jam. If it is not for self-defense I would recommend one of two guns. If you are looking for a cheaper firearms look for a sig-sauer 9mm. DO NOT BUY A GLOCK. GLOCKS are terrible. The recoil they sustain is absolutely horrendous. It is like putting a .44 caliber hollow point in a .22. Anyway, if you want to purchase a more expensive firearm I would highly recommend a Model 1911 .45. Kimber makes a very nice one known as a Kimber Goldmatch .45. They are difficult to come by but they are beautiful (I have a silver wood gripped one) dead accurate, any have very low recoil for a .45 caliber firearm. I own many guns take it from me...

my sig p226 9mm and my HK USPc 45acp never jam

sig sauer does not make cheap guns

glocks are awesome. I don't own one and I'm not just a fanboy.

you have the grip strength of my grandmother

sounds like your 1911 is heavy... and overpriced. congratulations

if you are purchasing this weapon for self-defense to be a revolver because semi-autos often jam.

I disagree most vehemently.

Revolvers have some advantages because they're so simple (failure drill is just squeeze the trigger again), but a basically maintained broken-in semi can be totally reliable.

Also ... drop a revolver and a semiauto in the dirt a couple times ... see which one gets grit in the workings and jams first.

If you are looking for a cheaper firearms look for a sig-sauer 9mm.

I like Sigs, but most aren't exactly what most people would call cheap. I think I paid $1050 for my last one, a P226 tacops TB. Even my used P220 Carry was over $500 I think.

DO NOT BUY A GLOCK. GLOCKS are terrible.

If there was a Glock-hater club that issued membership cards, I'd carry one between my drivers license and carry permit ... but only because I don't like the way they feel and I don't shoot them well. And I like poking sticks at Glock owners.

But they're famously reliable, good guns.

Anyway, if you want to purchase a more expensive firearm I would highly recommend a Model 1911 .45. Kimber makes a very nice one known as a Kimber Goldmatch .45. They are difficult to come by but they are beautiful (I have a silver wood gripped one) dead accurate, any have very low recoil for a .45 caliber firearm. I own many guns take it from me...

I don't like shooting 1911s either, but they're fine guns. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend a Kimber 1911 to someone as a first gun. Actually I probably wouldn't recommend anything .45 as a first gun. Aside from the ammo being expensive, most people have more trouble getting and staying proficient with .45acp than with 9mm. I have to work at it, and I shoot all the time.

my sig p226 9mm and my HK USPc 45acp never jam

sig sauer does not make cheap guns

glocks are awesome. I don't own one and I'm not just a fanboy.

you have the grip strength of my grandmother

sounds like your 1911 is heavy... and overpriced. congratulations

Sig Sauer is expensive, but not compared to a gold match. And no, if you ever shot one it is with every penny. Plus, a couple years ago they were half the price.

GLOCKS SUCK *SS AND YOU ARE A PRI*K

I disagree most vehemently.

Revolvers have some advantages because they're so simple (failure drill is just squeeze the trigger again), but a basically maintained broken-in semi can be totally reliable.

Also ... drop a revolver and a semiauto in the dirt a couple times ... see which one gets grit in the workings and jams first.

I like Sigs, but most aren't exactly what most people would call cheap. I think I paid $1050 for my last one, a P226 tacops TB. Even my used P220 Carry was over $500 I think.

If there was a Glock-hater club that issued membership cards, I'd carry one between my drivers license and carry permit ... but only because I don't like the way they feel and I don't shoot them well. And I like poking sticks at Glock owners.

But they're famously reliable, good guns.

I don't like shooting 1911s either, but they're fine guns. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend a Kimber 1911 to someone as a first gun. Actually I probably wouldn't recommend anything .45 as a first gun. Aside from the ammo being expensive, most people have more trouble getting and staying proficient with .45acp than with 9mm. I have to work at it, and I shoot all the time.

Two things, if you keep one in the chamber and you tap the trigger of a semi, it will go off and the bullet will be lunged in your foot or hip. If you use a revolver, it is always cocked at it will not easily go off. Semis to jam especially when you do not keep them clean. Revolves simply don't.

Two things, if you keep one in the chamber and you tap the trigger of a semi, it will go off and the bullet will be lunged in your foot or hip. If you use a revolver, it is always cocked at it will not easily go off. Semis to jam especially when you do not keep them clean. Revolves simply don't.

All of this advice is terrible.

In all seriousness a saw off shotgun is the best CC self defense gun.

Other than the 10 year mandatory prison sentence for the federal firearms violation of posessing and/or creating a sawed off shotgun, as well as the difficulty in concealing it, and it's limited capacity, you're correct :)

Other than the 10 year mandatory prison sentence for the federal firearms violation of posessing and/or creating a sawed off shotgun, as well as the difficulty in concealing it, and it's limited capacity, you're correct :)

Here in CA, one of the few NFA items a mortal can get is a SBS ... as long as it's a C&R gun. Carry permits here must specifically list each gun that can be carried. So in theory I could lawfully carry a sawed off shotgun, if it was old enough and I paid the $200 tax, and I took the time to add its SN to my permit.

It's almost worth doing just to see the look on the cop's face when I went in to amend my permit with a collectable sawed off shotgun.

Last edited:

Dream killer.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not saying that I condone the idea, but if you are married to it, you could consider a similar alternative...

Lever action pistol in 45 LC. 12" barrel. Could fire 410 out of it if you wanted. Might want to change out the lever a bit, Non-NFA item.

- pod

Does CA differentiate AOWs? Serbu Super Shorty...

I know some (maybe not all) AOWs are OK in California. I haven't come across an AOW I wanted enough to really look into it. Pretty sure all pistols with forward grips are CA-legal AOWs provided they don't run afoul of various other bans (pdf).

I'm also pretty sure any gun laws that require flowcharts like that to understand constitute a violation of the 8th Amendment (cruel and unusual punishment to readers).

Here in CA, one of the few NFA items a mortal can get is a SBS ... as long as it's a C&R gun. Carry permits here must specifically list each gun that can be carried. So in theory I could lawfully carry a sawed off shotgun, if it was old enough and I paid the $200 tax, and I took the time to add its SN to my permit.

It's almost worth doing just to see the look on the cop's face when I went in to amend my permit with a collectable sawed off shotgun.

Interesting.. Somehow an SBS is less of a mankiller than an ar with a removable magazine lol

Dream killer.

Lol :)

For reference

- pod

That doesn't look fun to shoot :laugh:

Stamps came in last week. :D I think a 338 LM suppressor will be next.

Check cashed today for a Surefire FA338SS. Aaaaaand another ATF wait begins.

Now I need to buy the rifle. Leaning toward a Sako TRG-42.

Sako_TRG-42.jpg

Interesting.. Somehow an SBS is less of a mankiller than an ar with a removable magazine lol

Lol :)

That doesn't look fun to shoot :laugh:

So you could legally have a SBS like this shotgun above..

Check cashed today for a Surefire FA338SS. Aaaaaand another ATF wait begins.

Now I need to buy the rifle. Leaning toward a Sako TRG-42.

Sako_TRG-42.jpg

And you can spend the same or more on your glass ;)

And you can spend the same or more on your glass ;)

I'm thinking that this'll be the gun where I'll make the leap to a S&B. I have two ACOGs which I love, and a Leupold 3-9x which is so-so. Just got a nice SWFA 5-20x50 (with a 1-6x SWFA still on the way from their recent Facebook promotion) ... but nothing on the really top end. An acquaintance just bought a higher end Nightforce for his 338LM gun, I need to weasel my way behind that at some point.

Looking at reloading equipment for it. Brass is $2.50 per case, a set of reloading dies $300+, etc ... I'm going to need to moonlight some extra days. :)

Don't pay what he did though. You should be able to get it for ~$100 less (eg here).

Haven't checked in this thread in a while, but just thought I should clarify that I bought the SP2022 several years ago from a gun shop with night sights already installed (increasing the price). But you're right, the price is cheaper on them now.

Um, following basic safety rules dictates that your finger stays OFF the trigger until you are pointing at what you intend to shoot, ESPECIALLY during the draw phase.

Basic maintenance and not limp-wristing when you fire should greatly reduce any jamming problems you run into. Plus, I'd like to hear what you define as "often."

Even if your pistol does jam, most problems can be solved with a simple "tap-rack-bang" exercise.

Will also add that SIG is not usually associated with the word "cheap."

First, this person has NO IDEA what he/she is talking about here. None.

Second, I own dozens of guns and like all brands, types and calibers. There is NO PERFECT Pistol/handgun and if there is, I haven't seen it or fired it. But, there are many excellent handguns on the market some for $500 and others for over a $1,000.

Third, Glocks are OUTSTANDING guns and in 9mm are extremely low recoil. Glock's 4th generation guns do not have "horrendous recoil" in .40 or .45 caliber either. But, the 9mm is a gentle gun which is one of the finest shooting firearms on the market for under $550.

Glocks are reliable and rarely, if ever malfunction, provided the owner is using good ammo (124 grain 9mm is preferred for the 4th generation) and properly lubricated the weapon.

Despite my comments about Glocks I still prefer a HK, CZ, Sig or Beretta 92 over a Glock 19.

Fourth, I like 1911 style weapons. They are beautiful show guns and very accurate. Kimbers can easily run $2,000 and custom 1911s over $3K. But, these guns are prone to more jams than the modern semi-auto, are only available in single action and are difficult to clean compared to a Glock,HK, Sig, CZ, etc. I do not recommend a 1911 as your first gun but rather as your last gun in a collection (not that there ever is a last gun until death).

Finally, a 9mm is a light recoil round compared to a .45. This makes shooting the round and hitting the target much more likely for the average person. A 9mm round is an excellent self-defense round in hollow point and I recommend that caliber if you want to own a semi-auto.

With a revolver stick with a .357 that shoots the old-fashioned .38 round as that will be the easiest gun to maintain in a state of readiness for non gun types.
The more you shoot a modern .357 the more you will grow to love that wheel gun.:D

ityoK.jpg

No updates in this thread for awhile. I finally got these two mated properly. Worth every penny. Even the guys shooting .22s were noting how quiet it is.

I love my Osprey. Just wish I could use it more often. Stupid California. I'm heading out to the free Arizona desert next weekend though. :)

I'm waiting on a 338 suppressor to Form 3 to our dealer now. Still looking for a gun.

The only ones that I know are Sako and AI.

You could also build an AR in 338 Spectre.

I'm about 90% decided on the Sako TRG42.

trg42.jpg

Thought about an Armalite AR-30 for a while, they're relatively inexpensive for the caliber, and they give hefty discounts to people in the military, but they're a bit on the goofy-lookin' side. I know, it's a tool not a fashion accessory :) but still. The monstrous brake would have to go in favor of the suppressor mount, which would help.

30MLARGE700.jpg

Seems to be a part shortage for the 338 Spectres these days. That might be the second one I pick up. I figure if you have a quick-detach suppressor for a caliber, you're morally obligated to buy at least two guns.

Spent part of the weekend out in the desert.

Newest addition ... Tirant 9. With 147 gr ammo it's Hollywood quiet, like a suppressed 22. It's so quiet I'm thinking their short 9S version might be quiet 'enough' and well worth the tradeoff to cut back on the bulk.

The gun's a Sig 226.

tirant.jpg

Spent part of the weekend out in the desert.

Newest addition ... Tirant 9. With 147 gr ammo it's Hollywood quiet, like a suppressed 22. It's so quiet I'm thinking their short 9S version might be quiet 'enough' and well worth the tradeoff to cut back on the bulk.

The gun's a Sig 226.

tirant.jpg

Any plans on getting raised sights?

Any plans on getting raised sights?

I don't think so, at least not yet. I definitely shot worse with the suppressor on it, but was getting better about both-eyes-open superimposing the sights on the target. I think, given more time and practice that it won't be an issue. Time and practice is a problem though since I have to keep it in another state. I only get to shoot my NFA stuff every couple months.

I don't think so, at least not yet. I definitely shot worse with the suppressor on it, but was getting better about both-eyes-open superimposing the sights on the target. I think, given more time and practice that it won't be an issue. Time and practice is a problem though since I have to keep it in another state. I only get to shoot my NFA stuff every couple months.

Ouch, no fun there.. Probably not worth the investment of the sights for a "fun gun" anyhow.. Unless you're planning on making meth.. in which case you'll need it.. (sorry, been watching too much breaking bad lol)