What's the best / most efficient way to learn all of psych if my test is in 1 month? Help please!

phixius12345

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all, so my test is about a month away, I'm pretty good on content for my other areas. However, I have yet to read through any of the books for psych / I know hardly anything for it yet. Does anyone have any tips or advice on what would be the best way to go about learning all of the psych / soc I would need for the exam to be ready in a month?

Right now I am taking FL's getting most of the problems wrong in the psych section. But I'm going to the book for every question and making Anki for things that I miss and don't know. I'm also attempting to read chapters in the TPR book, to get terms down and make ANki for everything. When I have time.

Does this sound like a good plan? Or would I benefit more from just going through the chapters and making Anki cards for everything. Just not sure if my current method is too time consuming / won't be as effective. Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Khan Academy 100 page guide:

Attachments

OP
P

phixius12345

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for this! Do you think memorizing all of these would be sufficient knowledge to score well on psych?

Dec 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for this! Do you think memorizing all of these would be sufficient knowledge to score well on psych?
Yes but I would make sure you do practice passages so you know how to apply the terms and interpret Psych data/research

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You won't be able to memorize that doc in a month, so focus on key concepts and just do passages (KA P/S is a good resource for free passages).

OP
P

phixius12345

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
What do you guys think about burning through the TPR psych book in a week and making Anki for all the terms, while still taking practice tests? I'm thinking I might not review the psych sections for the next week's tests I take and just focus on taking them so I can correlate things to the Anki cards I make from TPR

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
This could possibly be beneficial, or you might anki too in depth and spend hours making notes for concepts that are low-yield. If you do this, don't feel the urge to anki every single detail. Still make time to review the psych section of practice tests, though.

OP
P

phixius12345

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Ah I see your point. How do I know what's low or high yield in the psych section though?

Dec 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Ah I see your point. How do I know what's low or high yield in the psych section though?
Everything is high yield on the AAMC OG even the stuff in parenthesis, learn it all. They will bitch slap you out of nowhere with that section.

OP
P

phixius12345

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay got you. However, will terms show up that's not on that outline? I'm afraid something will show up that was covered in one of the prep books or on KA but wasn't on the AAMC outline. Does anyone have any experience where this was the case? Or is it safe to just know everything on the AAMC outline for psych?

Dec 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay got you. However, will terms show up that's not on that outline? I'm afraid something will show up that was covered in one of the prep books or on KA but wasn't on the AAMC outline. Does anyone have any experience where this was the case? Or is it safe to just know everything on the AAMC outline for psych?
Stuff will show up that is related to the content on the outline but not specifically mentioned. An example would be that you need to know the citric acid cycle but you get a specific question on one of the enzymes. Outline didn't say you needed to know specifics on the enzymes but it did say to know TCA cycle. For Psych I had some ridiculous stuff that wasn't in the prep books or outline but was in the Khan academy guide. I would mainly use that.

EDIT: forgot I already linked you =P

Attachments

OP
P

phixius12345

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Stuff will show up that is related to the content on the outline but not specifically mentioned. An example would be that you need to know the citric acid cycle but you get a specific question on one of the enzymes. Outline didn't say you needed to know specifics on the enzymes but it did say to know TCA cycle. For Psych I had some ridiculous stuff that wasn't in the prep books or outline but was in the Khan academy guide. I would mainly use that.

EDIT: forgot I already linked you =P
Awesome thank you so much! Would you say, that I still need to watch the videos with the KA guide? Or could I get away with just knowing the guide

Dec 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You can get away with just knowing the guide. I watched all of Topic 8-10 and think the guide would have saved me a lot of time.