Jul 15, 2010
15
0
Status
I am having somewhat of a dilemma between what my ego desires and what may be best in the end for my career goals.

In the end, I am 95% sure that I would like to be a private interventional cardiologist (the other 5% leans towards a developing part of cardiology that would necessitate academic involvment). With the competitiveness of securing a cardiology fellowship being what it is, I am under the impression that one must secure the best residency possible in order to obtain this.

That is fine, but what concerns me is that would this set me more on the career path towards academics? In other words, would doing a residency at the big 4 or big 8 hurt (and i use the word "hurt" lightly here for obvious reasons...) my CV for private cardiology practice? Thanks
 

Keg

10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
665
1
Shaker Heights, OH
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I am having somewhat of a dilemma between what my ego desires and what may be best in the end for my career goals.

In the end, I am 95% sure that I would like to be a private interventional cardiologist (the other 5% leans towards a developing part of cardiology that would necessitate academic involvment). With the competitiveness of securing a cardiology fellowship being what it is, I am under the impression that one must secure the best residency possible in order to obtain this.

That is fine, but what concerns me is that would this set me more on the career path towards academics? In other words, would doing a residency at the big 4 or big 8 hurt (and i use the word "hurt" lightly here for obvious reasons...) my CV for private cardiology practice? Thanks
No.
 

theneh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
64
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
this has got to be a joke. hahahahaha
 

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
18,238
11,119
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah cardiology practices hate when people train at hopkins or MGH.
Agreed. The best route to a high-paying private interventional cards job (Cath-ing for dollars) is to go to the worst community program you can find. If you have even a single publication from fellowship, there's no way you're going to get anything other than a crappy Associate Professor position.
 

thecalccobra

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
205
14
Status
I'm guessing OP is either in high school or undergrad, but then again I could be wrong because some med students are just as clueless.
 

Tius

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2008
36
1
Houston, Tx
Status
Resident [Any Field]
there's no limitation on what type of practice you can do if you go to an academic fellowship. there maybe if you go to a private/community based (meaning less likely be able to go and be a chair of a division at academic programs). The thing to remember is most fellowships are overwhelmingly academic.

And as you mentioned, the bottleneck to becoming a cardiologist is to actually get into the fellowship. Limiting to purely private fellowships would be strategically unwise. However, most academic fellowships tend to favor people who have gone to academic residencies. Thus, we get to the heart of the matter.

You probably have to end up going to an academic residency, the best one you can get into, to maximize your chances at getting a fellowship. Case in point, if you're an excellent resident at Johns Hopkins, you basically decide where you go to fellowship. If you're an excellent resident at some no name community program, good luck even getting an interview.