Whats the best route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychguy10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in an accredited masters level program for counseling psychology, with a concentration in school counseling. It is a 48 credit program, and I am graduating in May with a 3.8 GPA. My short term goal is to start a career as a school counselor and gain valuable experience interacting with the adolescent population, but long term I want to work in a private-practice setting. If anyone can shed some light on the different routes which can lead to working in a private-practice setting (PhD/PsyD, LPC, etc) I would appreciate it as well as the pros and cons of each (salary differences, years of schooling, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently enrolled in an accredited masters level program for counseling psychology, with a concentration in school counseling. It is a 48 credit program, and I am graduating in May with a 3.8 GPA. My short term goal is to start a career as a school counselor and gain valuable experience interacting with the adolescent population, but long term I want to work in a private-practice setting. If anyone can shed some light on the different routes which can lead to working in a private-practice setting (PhD/PsyD, LPC, etc) I would appreciate it as well as the pros and cons of each (salary differences, years of schooling, etc).
You need to look at the licensure requirements for the state(s) you plan to live in. For the masters level license (LPC/LMHC, depending on state), some states require 60 credits in mental health counseling and school counseling is not an acceptable degree. School counselors aren't specifically addressing mental health concerns 100% of the time. In high school especially school counselors tend to support students with post high school plans. So you need to consider if the school counseling degree is the right degree for your goals. The PhD/PsyD is not necessary if you plan private practice only. If you wish to do research, testing, or full time university teaching then the Doctoral degree is needed.

Reactions: 1 user