edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
At Penn, we are required to do four week externships between our third and fourth year. Many students choose to go abroad (a popular pick is Fiji.) I think the school will subsidize a third of your travel expenses. I don't know exatly what they cover, but I know it is at least a third of your airfair. Hope this helps!

adamlc18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Will 2nd year ever end?
Status
Dental Student
At UNC we are required to do 2 4 week long off-site rotations. People go all over the place for those. We also have a Mexico project, a honduras project, and a malowi (sp?) project where first and second years go to those countries and work in orphanages. Sorry for the horrible spelling. Never was my strength.

jpollei

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
NC
Status
adamlc18 said:
At UNC we are required to do 2 4 week long off-site rotations. People go all over the place for those. We also have a Mexico project, a honduras project, and a malowi (sp?) project where first and second years go to those countries and work in orphanages. Sorry for the horrible spelling. Never was my strength.
The 4 week rotations mentioned above have over the years included: Australia, Hawaii and Alaska (and yes I recognize these aren't "abroad", but they're still far enough away that I'd call it a vacation:)), Brazil, Iran, various spots in Europe, the Philippeans, Africa--pretty much anywhere you want to set one up. Most states in the US have sites, too. I heard one lad was looking at Antarctica...