What's the best way/ book to learn how to scan with US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzmati

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an R2 and I still feel like my scanning skills are not up to par. Would the Requisite help? Other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an R2 and I still feel like my scanning skills are not up to par. Would the Requisite help? Other ideas?

A book may help you understand the physics/technical aspects of scanning but in order to improve you have to actually scan. Practice on co-residents. Shadow an US tech if you can. For US-guided biopsies you can purchase or make a phantom (would practice with a 25-gauge)...you guys scan on call/night-float?

I tried to read a book aimed at US techs and just didn't find it helpful. Practice and experience were the best for me. Can you go scan patients during your US rotations? We have the freedom to do that before or after the techs finish their exam and it's helpful. If your workflow is too busy, then may not be feasible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice, practice, practice. On my US rotation, I scanned as many patients as I could, and I even did a few that were officially submitted to our PACS.

Thank you all for your valuable input. I guess my best bet is to stick with the ultrasound techs during my next rotation.

Thanks again