whats the best way to get off the waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrgq912

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have a question, i am currently licking my chops on the NJMS waitlist (and others). NJMS reranks their waitlist at the begininig on june. Do you guys think taking the mcat again would help. Would the scores even come out in time for it to matter.

What I am doing is taking a couple of gradutate courses at NJMS and also taking Medical neurscience. I had a talk with dr. H and the main thing that concerned him was the fact that I had a slow start during my undergrad and then i picked up my performance later on. So he suggested taking classes to show i can start start strong.

But do you think mcats would really help. I mean i already have a 30. I know that these boards think a 30 is pretty low but i think a 30 is fine for your avg med school.

And also what have others done to get of the waitlist. Have you sent in a letter to the adcom, or have you gotten more recomendations. I work as ER tech at the university hospital, and am good friends with two er docs who were graduates of NJMS (not alumnies though). Would getting their recomendation help or the adcom wouldn't really care.

Members don't see this ad.

mrgq912 said:
hey guys i have a question, i am currently licking my chops on the NJMS waitlist (and others). NJMS reranks their waitlist at the begininig on june. Do you guys think taking the mcat again would help. Would the scores even come out in time for it to matter.

What I am doing is taking a couple of gradutate courses at NJMS and also taking Medical neurscience. I had a talk with dr. H and the main thing that concerned him was the fact that I had a slow start during my undergrad and then i picked up my performance later on. So he suggested taking classes to show i can start start strong.

But do you think mcats would really help. I mean i already have a 30. I know that these boards think a 30 is pretty low but i think a 30 is fine for your avg med school.

And also what have others done to get of the waitlist. Have you sent in a letter to the adcom, or have you gotten more recomendations. I work as ER tech at the university hospital, and am good friends with two er docs who were graduates of NJMS (not alumnies though). Would getting their recomendation help or the adcom wouldn't really care.

I would never retake the MCAT with a 30 unless the breakdown is something like 11, 12, 7. I will be withdrawing from NJMS pretty soon I think so hopefully you will get my spot. I would take Dr. H's advice and take a few classes but I think taking the MCAT a second time would be painful and unproductive given your score. A 30 is a very, very solid score. Don't let people around here make you think otherwise. Also, writing a letter of intent and giving them monthly updates would be good. Good luck!

blump said:
I would never retake the MCAT with a 30 unless the breakdown is something like 11, 12, 7. I will be withdrawing from NJMS pretty soon I think so hopefully you will get my spot. I would take Dr. H's advice and take a few classes but I think taking the MCAT a second time would be painful and unproductive given your score. A 30 is a very, very solid score. Don't let people around here make you think otherwise. Also, writing a letter of intent and giving them monthly updates would be good. Good luck!

i agree...but reconsider taking medical neuroscience...that class is a doozy! letter of intent is good and taking extra classes that u know ull do well in is also a plus imo

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of people getting off the waitlist by writing letters ever so often. maybe gettng extra LORs that means something. like new research experiences or community services. the med schools love interest shown on ur part. so make sure to keep em informed. gluck. i'm waitlisted at 2 schools.. same boat.

I am also on the NJMS waiting list -- do you know if we can find out where we stand on the list? In the letter, it seemed as if they were trying to dissuade people from contacting them, since nothing will be done with the waiting list until June 1st.
I'm horribly impatient and June is months away. :(

Easiest way to get off a waitlist is to tell the school you dont want to be on their waitlist, and they'll gladly take you off of it ;)

Im kidding around. Ive been waitlisted to a good handful, including my top choice. If you know its your number 1 choice, a letter of intent couldnt hurt. I sent one to my top choice, and Im still on the waitlist; see, didnt hurt!!!!! :D :D :D :D

hey all-
i'm in the same situation, waitlisted at NJMS and another school as well. i too contacted Dr. H and he said they were concerned with a C i had gotten in physics. however, i have an mcat score of 28 and he mentioned nothing about that. i asked him what i could do to better my application and all he said was the fact that i retook the class will be reconsidered... that's all. i dont know what else to do, i guess i'll be writing a letter closer to june about my interest in the school, good luck to all of you as well!

Ok, I have a plan. It requires a paper clip, two rubber bands, and a small tub of tapeoca pudding. PM me for details.

Sincerely,
macgyver.jpg

I interviewed at two schools in november and havn't heard squat. Which do you think is a worse scenario, being waitlisted now, or not hearing anything for about three months post-interview. I guess all this waiting means i am probably rejected or at best waitlisted. I don't get why they don't just let me know. I'm really tired of waiting for SOME form of info about where I'll be six months from now! :mad: Good luck to all!

RunMimi said:
I'm on the waitlist for a school I thought I was interested in after interviewing. I sent them a letter of interest about 2 weeks ago. I just elected to Phi Beta Kappa. I don't want to pester them all the time. Do you think I should wait until near graduation to write them and include this then or write them again now?
Congrats on PBK, Mimi! For what it's worth, I would wait. You may get some more honors before then that you could add to a letter, they probably don't do much with the waitlist until nearly May, and you'll have heard back from your non-rollers and may not care about this school anymore!

Jcrown said:
I interviewed at two schools in november and havn't heard squat. Which do you think is a worse scenario, being waitlisted now, or not hearing anything for about three months post-interview. I guess all this waiting means i am probably rejected or at best waitlisted. I don't get why they don't just let me know. I'm really tired of waiting for SOME form of info about where I'll be six months from now! :mad: Good luck to all!

You know, some schools aren't rolling admissions, so you won't hear anything from them until next month anyway. It might not be anything to worry about. But I'm with you on the "tired of waiting" til you know where you're spending the next four years of your life. Rrrgg!

:luck: