What's the bible of Pain Management?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisv

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a consensus out there for what book is considered to be the bible of pain management? Kinda like how Harrison's is for IM and Miller's Anesthesia is for anesthesiology. My research shows that its: Essentials of Pain Medicine by Benzon.

Members don't see this ad.

Benzon is too thin and readable to be a Bible. (Although for the record, Benzon was my main text for fellowship and I found it to be excellent for its readability and fairly good coverage of knowledge needed for fellowship. Easy to read a chapter a night or more. Not sure how the next edition is, but interested in checking it out).

If examples of other such "Bibles" are Harrisons or Miller, then I would say that Bonica is a potential choice, but not the only one.

Last edited:
I'd consider Wall and Melzack's Texbook of Pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a consensus out there for what book is considered to be the bible of pain management? Kinda like how Harrison's is for IM and Miller's Anesthesia is for anesthesiology. My research shows that its: Essentials of Pain Medicine by Benzon.

It is found online. Here is the link.

Cousins and Benzon are my go to books.

Hi everyone and thanks for the great discussions presented here and also in the anesthesiology forum. I'm a practising anesthesiologist in Europe, having also interest in pain medicine.
The current book I 'm studying is Benzon's Essentials of pain medicine. probably I' m going to start a pain fellowship this summer, so, i want to ask about a "heavier" book on pain: Waldman' s pain managenent. About 1500 pages it says. 2011 edition.
Any thought's about this book? Is practical, or academic like others textbooks of pain? Is it sufficient for a study and practice reference?
Thanks

Hi everyone and thanks for the great discussions presented here and also in the anesthesiology forum. I'm a practising anesthesiologist in Europe, having also interest in pain medicine.
The current book I 'm studying is Benzon's Essentials of pain medicine. probably I' m going to start a pain fellowship this summer, so, i want to ask about a "heavier" book on pain: Waldman' s pain managenent. About 1500 pages it says. 2011 edition.
Any thought's about this book? Is practical, or academic like others textbooks of pain? Is it sufficient for a study and practice reference?
Thanks

Don't know anything about the book but I know the author is a shyster

One of the worst, procedures with no fluro, just in and out