Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What's the big deal on AZCOM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by carmstrong, Oct 5, 1999.

1. carmstrong

carmstrong Member

All I have read (through your posts) is that AZCOM is an awesome school. I have really not heard anything negative about it yet. I am sure that there are things, but for the most part all opinions lean in the positive direction. I tried to visit their website to get a look at the campus but it wasnt that informative. I am interested in hearing from the students who interviewed or visited there and some of their impressions of the school. I dont understand why it seems to get the highest marks, but yet I have not seen that many people here on the site say that they are going there. I live in Texas and have a good school here at home, but if this school is what you guys are saying it is then it definitely deserves a look. I dont have the luxury of dancing all around the country to check out schools, but I really want to see the schools I watn to attend before I apply. The two solids are KCOM and my home grown school(both great schools) but I was looking for another. I plan on applying to several, but I would like to focus on two or three. All I have heard about AZCOM has been positive. Any insight would be appreciated. Congrats to all who are getting interviews and accepted. I will be in your boat next year (at least sending away apps, hopefully interviews etc).

[This message has been edited by carmstrong (edited October 05, 1999).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member

Here's my 2 cents:
    AZCOM has not yet graduated a full class, the first is this year so the prospect is scary. However, it's parent school is Midwestern which has been around over 100 years and they brag about stealing some of CCOM's best faculty away from the frigid Chicago weather.
    In my opinion the best thing is in your own back yard. You don't hear much about your state school because nobody outside of TX has a hope in hell of getting in (a slight exaggeration but not too far from the truth!). I am going to interview at AZCOM and would be happy to give you better info when I return.

4. mazya

mazya Member

Curious,
    What do you think between AZCOM and TCOM? I have secondary for TCOM (I am from CA) and an interview already for AZCOM. Is TCOM that much better than AZCOM?

5. miglo

miglo Senior Member

Funny, I cancelled both TUCOM and AZCOM interviews. Nothing against the schools, I'm sure their education is on-par with everyone elses. Only problem is that they are so new...I don't know how good their rotations are. Can someone going there perhaps enlighten this ignorant soul?

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

6. snrp

snrp New Member

I am attending AZCOM right now and love it. I got accepted to other schools but I knew that for me this was the right school. Don't listen to anybody that says garbage about how new it is. Do you really think that two reputable institutions like Midwestern and the AOA would let that happen? Touro,Pikesville, and AZCOM are going to pass with flying colors. If they didn't the AOA and osteopathic medicine would look pretty stupid. The AOA and 'the powers that be' will do everything to prevent that from happening.
    Everything here is awesome! The faculty and administration are great. The weather is awesome. The course load is difficult but that is why the pass rate of boards by AZCOM students kicks butt.
    The preceptor program is really cool. I have learned a lot already. One of my friends assisted in a C-section and it is only the 6th week of school.
    The ONLY thing that I don't like about AZCOM is that it is so freaking expensive.

7. miglo

miglo Senior Member

I don't doubt that AZCOM and TUCOM have outstanding programs. I never said that it didn't. I was just pointing out that there might not be as many rotations BECAUSE it is a new school. Don't hospital affiliations take time to form? I could be wrong (I have been before)

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

8. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member

Rotations at AZCOM sound pretty impressive. According to the dean of clinical education, instead of being assigned to a hospital ward or a specific clinic, you are assigned to a single preceptor--you work in your preceptor's office, visit his hospitalized patients, work alongside any procedure the preceptor performs. The only downside that I see to this approach is that you only learn one doctor's viewpoint on that area of medicine (I may be misunderstanding this, AZCOM students correct me if I'm wrong).

To address the original question--I didn't see any negatives during my visit. They really seem to have their academic program together--better organized than some more established medical schools (DO and MD) that I've had contact with. The campus appears to be developing at a strong pace, and is beautiful (although, there is no grass, which may come as a culture shock to some). Since all the facilities have been constructed in the past few years, everything is modern and very impressive. And, personally, I really liked Phoenix (and since I got lost from the airport--I got to see plenty of the city [​IMG]).

My only negative about AZCOM is that I didn't get the acceptance (waitlist, ugh!). Otherwise, I loved it. If you get the chance to interview, and can afford the travel, I highly recommend checking it out for yourself.

9. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member

I interviewed at AZCOM a couple of weeks ago and was throroughly impressed. The staff was great and the students all seemed happy to be there. I think that in 5 to 10 years, they will be one of the top rated DO schools. They already are doing a lot of things better than other schools I have seen.

The newness may present a problem with residency matching, and everyone will just have to wait and see. However, with the high pass rate on the board exams and the strong clinical rotations, I don't think that this will be a problem. I gladly sent in my deposit check to hold a spot for next fall.

------------------
    Phillip
    Class of 2004 (somewhere)
    Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.