what's the chance of Asian getting into Howard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Korean student living in VA state.
If I have a decent GPA and DAT score, do I have a chance to get into Howard or is it impossible due to my nationality?

Members don't see this ad.

From everything I've read on here and elsewhere it seems that Howard attempts to admit students which will undoubtedly return to home to medically underserved areas. Although, these students are predominately minorities they are still a state school and have responsibilities to create dentists to serve in their state. I would say it depends on your personal background. They can't discriminate against anyone so you definitely have a shot. It just might be a slim shot.

Last edited:
One of the dentists I work for graduated from Howard around 6 years ago and he's white. I'm also white and I had heard that Howard accepted mostly blacks, so I asked him if he thought it was worth it for me to apply. He told me that most of his dental class was made up of Asians. So, although they mainly accept minorities... Asian is considered a minority so I would think you'd have a good chance strictly based on your ethnicity. I applied and haven't heard anything from them yet, but I'd say it's worth a shot to apply there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming decent stats, you'll have a much easier time getting into Virginia Commonwealth, which is a great school.

Your Howard chances are bleak, and it doesn't help (or hurt) to be from Virginia.

One of the dentists I work for graduated from Howard around 6 years ago and he's white. I'm also white and I had heard that Howard accepted mostly blacks, so I asked him if he thought it was worth it for me to apply. He told me that most of his dental class was made up of Asians. So, although they mainly accept minorities... Asian is considered a minority so I would think you'd have a good chance strictly based on your ethnicity. I applied and haven't heard anything from them yet, but I'd say it's worth a shot to apply there.

A given race is considered a minority in the field of dentistry if the percentage of practicing dentists of that race is significantly smaller than its representation in society.

Asians, Indians (from the asian continent), and caucasians ARE NOT considered minorities. In fact, they are over-represented in healthcare.

African americans, hispanics, american indians, and pacific islanders ARE considered minorities.