1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

what's the chance of Asian getting into Howard?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by joonkimdds, Dec 28, 2008.

1. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am a Korean student living in VA state.
    If I have a decent GPA and DAT score, do I have a chance to get into Howard or is it impossible due to my nationality?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    From everything I've read on here and elsewhere it seems that Howard attempts to admit students which will undoubtedly return to home to medically underserved areas. Although, these students are predominately minorities they are still a state school and have responsibilities to create dentists to serve in their state. I would say it depends on your personal background. They can't discriminate against anyone so you definitely have a shot. It just might be a slim shot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 DROCKINDAHOUSE, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  3. Dentwannabe18

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    One of the dentists I work for graduated from Howard around 6 years ago and he's white. I'm also white and I had heard that Howard accepted mostly blacks, so I asked him if he thought it was worth it for me to apply. He told me that most of his dental class was made up of Asians. So, although they mainly accept minorities... Asian is considered a minority so I would think you'd have a good chance strictly based on your ethnicity. I applied and haven't heard anything from them yet, but I'd say it's worth a shot to apply there.

4. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Assuming decent stats, you'll have a much easier time getting into Virginia Commonwealth, which is a great school.

Your Howard chances are bleak, and it doesn't help (or hurt) to be from Virginia.

5. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    A given race is considered a minority in the field of dentistry if the percentage of practicing dentists of that race is significantly smaller than its representation in society.

Asians, Indians (from the asian continent), and caucasians ARE NOT considered minorities. In fact, they are over-represented in healthcare.

African americans, hispanics, american indians, and pacific islanders ARE considered minorities.