What's the deal on residency when you relocate just before an application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polygondust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
QUESTIONS:
1. What happens to your residency status when you move just before an application cycle starts?
2. With the fact that I am 2 years out of undergrad in mind, is it worthwhile to take more time off to gain financial independence and establish Texas residency since I want to end up there anyway? Or should I stay in Illinois (current residency) to finish post-bacc/work part-time/live with family friends and apply for this upcoming cycle?

Background info: Graduated in Spring 2016, moved home in Illinois and took some time off to work full-time before starting a (informal) post-bacc in Fall 2017. I am financially dependent on my parents due to unexpected health issues that drained my bank account. They have agreed to help support me while I complete the post-bacc and during the application process. Found out in January that my parents were moving to Texas over a year sooner than anyone thought. They have begun the process of selling the house and have already left, but they're offering to let me move with them until I can get on my own feet again. I'm considering taking up their offer, especially because I ultimately want to end up in Texas since my entire family lives there and I love the state.

My (sad) stats:
Undergrad: cGPA- 3.3, sGPA- 3.1
Current GPA (all science): 3.9
Taking DAT in summer
80+ hours of assisting, lots of community service and volunteer work

Members don't see this ad.

TMDSAS Dental: Residency
I'm aware of Texas rules on residency for educational purposes. My questions were more asking if I would have residency ANYWHERE should I move before the cycle starts. As in, if I apply to Illinois schools and Texas schools after moving would I be considered OOS for both.