What's the deal w/ Chiropractors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumbleServant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can they prescribe drugs?

Are the more/less knowledgeable than physicians?

Is it as hard to get into Chiropractic College?, etc.

Just curious

Members don't see this ad.

One of the administrators may want to move this to the EVERYONE forum.... just a thought....

No they cannot prescribe drugs. No, it is not as hard to gain acceptance into their program. I do believe they are just as knowledgeable or even more so than MD's about anatomy and the spinal column in particular.(DO's, i'm not so sure) Their primary focus is adjustment of the spinal column and so the majority of their teachings are directed there, which means they have more emphasis and more time spent learning the spine and the nervous system asociated with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Popoy:
•One of the administrators may want to move this to the EVERYONE forum.... just a thought....•

I normally WOULD but there have been some complaints about stuff being moved, so I am turning off my moving machine for now except for clear cut cases. Apparently people are unable to read the notices at the top of each thread and figure out where things have been moved to. :rolleyes:

Okie dokie... :cool:

A little history on the Chiropractor profession.

After WWII, the G.I. Bill was enacted to allow service people the chance to afford to go to school. Just about any type of educational school (trade, mechanic, trucking, electrician, and colleges) was approved to receive G.I. Bill money. This caused a flux of Chiropractitioner colleges to spring up across the US. All hoping to take advantage of the service people supplied with large education stipends from Uncle Sam. Interestingly, prior to WWII, chiropractors were largely considered to be quacks. However, with more money allowing for additional schools to open up, the chiropractor came to be more accepted by the mainstream. Just as a side note, it might be fun to check the established dates of different schools of chiropractic medicine.

Founder was D.D. Palmer -- possibly a patient or a graduate of Des Moines University -- Just thought I'd share that ;)

Seriously though. In the medical or public field, Chiropractic doctors are not considered as physicians like MD or DO.

Has anyone seen a DC working in a hospital?

Actually Ryu, yes I have! There is a hospital in Rochester that is even building a Chiropractic wing!

I agree with John@PCSOM, it is very easy to gain acceptance, but it is very difficult course study. It is VERY important to also point out the 2 different philosophies regarding chiropractic. Some are very tech and science oriented while there are others that are certainly very "cultish." I have a friend in NYCC and trust him completely.

Originally posted by Ryu:
•Has anyone seen a DC working in a hospital?•

I haven't.....

Basically open admissions to DC programs... 2.5 GPA and 2.5 in the required courses... 2.25 to 2.5 in either will get you provisional admission.. The required science courses are the same as med school, except I know Cleveland Ch. Col (in KC) has an agreement with one of the local Jucos to allow students to take those during a summer... Organic I and 2 and Phyx 1 and 2 (and I think GChem 1 and 2) can be taken there...2 hours lecture (not 3!) and 1 hour lab for each of the 6 of those courses...

It is a 4 year all year curriculum at CCC (though it can easily be accelerated to 3)...they spend much more time in class and lab than UKans, UMKC, or the Osteopathic School there in KC--however, when you graph out the test scores from CCC the BEST you ever get is a double bell shaped curve--and often no bell at all....what happens is that they spend all the time in class just going over and over things till they can be regurgitated by rote well enough for most everyone to pass the exam... I discussed this with the "Assisatnt to the President and Professor of Physiology" at CCC and I feel he was quite honest about the nature of the education...

I disagree with 2 pholophies to some degree...while I agree that there are some schools more oriented towards science and others toward "traditional" chiropracxtic..the field actively trys to not have any standards or standards of care for obvious reasons...

I happen to know the only person to ever get a 4.0 from CCC.....he went to my very small, liberal arts undergrad school in the late 70's.....he played football there and did very well....he was strongly advised to NOT go to DC school and go to KU Med instead ...

Anyways, to make a long story shorter, he had a practice across the street from the college..and out of boredone was coming in to teach anatomy labs and things for free... he had abandoned a lot of chiropractic and was doing "oriental medicine" stuff...and saying "if I had the $$$ I'd go to Med School--which I should have done all along..."

Message--be leary of becomeing a DC..if you do decide to do that..please go to the chiro college in Texas...most scientific of them...

BTW...about prolly 7 or 8 years ago--maybe a bit less--there was an atrical in "Medical Economics" magazine entitled "Take it from this DC, a lot of Chiropractic is a Sham.." or something similar to that....if seriously thinking about DC, I recommend you hit up a med library and check that out..

Originally posted by joseph-arveson:
•BTW...about prolly 7 or 8 years ago--maybe a bit less--there was an atrical in "Medical Economics" magazine entitled "Take it from this DC, a lot of Chiropractic is a Sham.." or something similar to that....if seriously thinking about DC, I recommend you hit up a med library and check that out..•

That article is here: http://www.chirobase.org/01General/chirosham.html

The website is operated by Stephen Barrett, MD, a well known opponent of chiropractic and other health care quackery. I personally think he's hilarious. He's devoted much of his time to gathering chiropractic literature and writing so badly of the profession. You should read the other articles on this guy's site.

Actually the historical record shows that DD Palmer was a student at the American School of Osteopathy, the first DO school founded by AT Still. He never graduated, and a few hears later he emerged onto the medical scene with his theory of Chiropractic. I'm not saying he stole the concept from Still, because there are key differences in the approaches to the body, but he definately was influenced by Still's ideas.

Any other historical info would be appreciated.

Originally posted by osteodoc13:
•Actually the historical record shows that DD Palmer was a student at the American School of Osteopathy, the first DO school founded by AT Still. He never graduated, and a few hears later he emerged onto the medical scene with his theory of Chiropractic. I'm not saying he stole the concept from Still, because there are key differences in the approaches to the body, but he definately was influenced by Still's ideas.

Any other historical info would be appreciated.•

Are you sure about that? They actually have records here at DMU (or UOMHS) regarding DD Palmer.... As well as they actually mention DD Palmer during one of the lecture.... In addition to this, DD Palmer was born in Iowa and established his college in Davenport.... Not to say he didn't go down south in Missouri....

Anway, can you support/show/tell me your reference regarding DD Palmer?

I'm asking as I may put this attention to the faculty lecturer at DMU.... Thanx

Hey guys here is my story.
I was attending Cleveland Chiropractic at Los Angeles for one trimester and decided that this profession is definitly not for me. I have to admit that it is very easy to gain admission but you have to do some work to pass those classes. We started with 30 people in our class and ended up with only 14 people at the end of the trimester. I managed to pass to those classes with 3.625 gpa.
Here are a list of classes with my grades.
Embryology with lab B
Systemic Anatomy/lab A
Spinal Anatomy/lab A
Histology with lab A
Biochem /lab B
Cell Physiology A
Static Palpation A
Philosophy B
Right now I am back at Cal State L.A finishing up my BS in biology with 2 quarters remaining. One good thing I got out of chiro college is my discovery of DO philosophy. I am taking the MCAT this aug and will apply to DO school next year. My boyfriend is a practcing chiropractor for two years. He graduated from one of the better chiro college in California. He is preparing for the MCAT and plan to DO school next year as well. My suggestion is to research the profession carefully.

I was also admitted to CCCLA although I never matriculated. (That was my backup plan if I didn't get into DO school) I have done my research on Chiro and I believe it can be a noble profession. The problem arises b/c there are so many Chiro's out there making incredible claims that cannot be substantiated. Personally, I believe in their philosophies and natural ways of treating the body (actually very similar to DO) but for me osteopathy incorporated everything about health care that interested me. I learn the same things MD's do PLUS the osteopathic manipulations some very similar to Chiros), which gives a DO an added advantage. I think the problem with many DO's not manipulating anymore is the fact that many students apply to DO school just to increase their chances of becoming a "Dr." without believing or knowing anything about Osteopathic medicine in general. I think an MD is sometimes limited in their effectiveness by just relying on drugs and surgery and not learning more mechanical care. Osteopathy is the future of health care and combines the best of both worlds. Just my opinion, I've rambled enough.

Originally posted by John@PCSOM:
•I think an MD is sometimes limited in their effectiveness by just relying on drugs and surgery and not learning more mechanical care. Osteopathy is the future of health care and combines the best of both worlds. •

Are you interested in oriental medicine?

That is actually just the story I've heard about the history of Chiropractic. Did you mean to say that he was at DMUCOM, because I wasn't aware that that school existed at the time. The point is that the theory behind chiropractic is obviously derived, in part, from the ideas of Still and osteopathy

Yup, DMUOMC was actually renamed a few times.... it used to be called S.S. Still Osteopathic Med. School (nephew of A.T. Still).... Anyway it was founded in 1898. Apparently, there is a record of him being in attendence at DMU but not sure whether or not he was a patient or a student.... Then again, according to some, chiropractic medicine was founded on September 18, 1895 which makes it before the school was founded.... I'm not sure about the story there....

Agreed.... Chiropractic medicine is, in some part, derived from osteopathic manipulation.

Later, :cool:

Ryu,
Actually, I am very interested in Oriental Medicine. Not enough to make it my profession but I would like to learn more about it and if possible, use some in my practice. Through my martial arts training I have been exposed to some forms of treatment, such as Shiatsu(acupressure) and I have seen some miraculous results from such treatment. I am not so scientific (like some others) that I believe that if it cannot be measured it doesn't exist. I have seen far too much and there is so much phenomena out there that science has yet too explain. Western medicine is one of the most advanced systems in the world but sometimes egos prevent our scientists and doctors from keeping an open mind about other systems, oriental medicine for example. In fact, just recently there has been a machine invented that now pinpoints locations of the "tsubos" which are the points used in acupuncture and Shiatsu. When compared to charts made by oriental practitioners hundreds of years ago these points were identical. I think aspects of oriental medicine can be extremely beneficial to DO's. I know OUCOM has just recently started some type of program involving oriental medicine.

Hello everyone,

My name is Adam Alexander. I am a chiropractic student in Georgia attending Life University and am about to enter my 3rd year. If I may I would like to take a moment to try and give anyone who may be interested some insight into the chiropractic profession and the education of D.C.'s

Education: It is true that the requirements for acceptance into chiropractic school are not as stringent as those for medical and perhaps osteopathic school.(I know little about D.O. school, sorry) There is not a equivalent test to the MCAT that is required and there is not a requirement for the GRE either. The minimum GPA must be 2.5 and the required courses are the same basic science courses that are required for medical school.
For those on the quarter system, like Life University, the program is 14 consecutive quarters with clinical internships beginning the 7th quarter in a "student" clinic. Prior to licensure there is a 4 part national board that must be passed that is usually taken during the 14 quarters. (for more info www.nbce.org) In addition, some states require state boards as well. The downfall in my perspective is two-fold. The first one is one that was previously stated, we spend a lot of time in class and in labs and not with sick people. (That is why I am here at this web site looking into medical school to continue my training.) At my school we have a good amount of clinical exposure to "typical" musculoskeletal problems and those looking for wellness care but very little clinical exposure to pathological manifestations. Some chiropractic schools like Texas Chiropractic College and National University of Health Sciences have incorporated an impressive and extensive rotation program with local medical schools and hospital systems, but Life has yet to do that. The second down fall are those in this profession that are so afraid of loosing the distinctness of chiropractic that they shy away from and often attack any thing that may increase the "medical" training a chiropractor can receive.

Scope of Practice: In most states D.C.'s are not authorized to prescribe drugs, legend or not. The bottom line reason is that is something most in the chiropractic profession feel makes us different than an M.D. or D.O. The training we receive is from a different perspective and that is a good thing. Health is multidimensional and we need thinkers from every perspective. However, there are some states that under certain conditions, like medically under-served areas, that allow a D.C. to take continuing education courses in pharmacology to allow them to write for meds. Good or Bad? Depends on the physician. That is another point. Are D.C.'s physicians? That all depends on whom you talk to and what state you are in. There is a common opinion in which I share, that feel chiropractor's are a type of physician, such as allopathic, osteopathic, naturopathic and chiropractic. The word physician represents the level of our (allopathic, osetopathic, chiropractic and naturopathic) education and our occupation. But some feel that the word physician has to imply the use of drugs. In Florida it is a state law that a D.C. uses the title of chiropractic physician and they are working on laws authorizing the prescription of non-legend drugs. By the way in California a D.C. has to take additional continuing education classes in gynecological/proctological exams. In Oregon, D.C.'s can deliver babies and perform minor surgery.

There are a number of D.C.'s that do not represent our profession very well and are satisfied with low-back pain, which I guess is ok due to the millions of people in this country that are afflicted with that, but there are others like myself that are looking for something more. My concern is for my patient's health, not just pain but also their entire well being. Chiropractic can and has done miraculous things for people and sometimes instantly, but that is not every case. The bottom line is that as far reaching as the nervous system goes, along with it's integration into the immune and endocrine systems, is where chiropractic has the potential to make positive changes in the physical body of the patient. Chiropractic is NOT the cure all, but IF there is a neurological component to the problem there is potential. What about the research? I agree, I am very supportive on clinical research supporting such "claims". All I can say is that the research is coming, it is coming from the chiropractic profession, from neurology, and from the medical professionals interested in "manual or physical medicine". The National Institutes of Health is co funding a research center in Davenport, IA at the Palmer College to research chiropractic care. Chiropractic doesn't have the luxury of literally billions of dollars of funding for research like medicine does. The chiropractic profession also has only been around for a little more than 100 years and has not until fairly recently been accepted into mainstream health care. This has been frustrating for everyone involved, skeptics and supporters. I would remember two things if referring to a D.C. 1) Not all D.C.'s are the same, get to know some D.C's where you practice, spend some time with them in their practice and ask questions. There are some "real jokers" out there but you can find that in any profession. Once you are comfortable discuss the patient history with the D.C. and ask about their experiences with other patients that might have had similar signs/symptoms or conditions. 2) Feel comfortable knowing that chiropractic is extremely non-invasive and even if chiropractic care does not resolve the persons specific problem, the chances of improvement in other aspects of their health is very high. Don't forget, that D.C.'s have to have someone to refer their patients to as well when health problems go beyond their scope of practice. A D.C. can be a great referal source.

If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them if I haven't here, just email me.

Adam Alexander
[email protected]
;)