Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

what's the deal w/ "omd"

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by johnstoner, May 3, 2007.

1. johnstoner

johnstoner Ben Franklin on Hashish

why do people here refer to ophthalmologists as omds? OMDs if i remember correctly mean doctor of oriental medicine.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. intoxicatedtiger

Attending Physician
    It can also refer to the '80s band: Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, who sang "If you leave." I love that song.

4. PDT4CNV

PDT4CNV Physician/Surgeon

Fellow [Any Field]

It is a term that optometry came up with. Similar to why anesthesiologists are called MDA's (in comparison to CRNA's).

The American Academy of Ophthalmology came up with the term "Eye MD".

I think it is all stupid. A physician is a physician. A mid-level is a mid-level.

5. AwesomeSauce

Optometry Student
    I think its just because its easier and faster to type. When you say or type OD everyone knows exactly what you mean. MD is no good for shorthand, its way to broad. Thus "OMD" I dont think its a turf battle type thing, its just shorthand.

6. PDT4CNV

PDT4CNV Physician/Surgeon

Fellow [Any Field]
    Is RMD shorthand for rheumatology? What's shorthand for radiation oncology?

7. AwesomeSauce

Optometry Student
    obviously these specialties have not developed little shorthand things. Maybe that's because there is no non-physician analog for these professions. Sometimes when you are referring to two differant types of eye doctors its just an easier way to differentiate.

There is no malice behind the term, I dont know why you find it so disparaging. "Eye MD" is more of a poltical thing or marketing tool. OMD is just internet shorthand, correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think you ever see it anywhere else.

8. FlightDoc80

FlightDoc80 Intern Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Does this all really matter...I mean, aren't we all here just to do something good for society. Well, don't reply, I know we all aren't, but who cares what degree and designation a person is...all of us are part of a bigger picture in health care. Everyone needs the other to make things run smoothly. People are just people. Just cause I went to school longer than someone else, doesn't mean I'm any better nor worse. I just had to type this before it gets out of hand.

9. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong

Resident [Any Field]
    Excellent. "If You Leave" was made famous by the 80s brat-pack movie Pretty In Pink. I had the Best of OMD on cassette tape in high school. I may have to download this song from iTunes. Nothing like getting back to your roots.

10. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.

Attending Physician
    Pretty in Pink, I love that move. And that is where I fell in love with the sexy american girlfriend.

11. KHE

KHE Senior Member
    Optometrist SDN Advisor

Optometrist
    If you want to get back to those roots, I noted with much glee that POISON is having a summer tour with none other than RATT and WHITE LION!

Oooo yea. Gonna be nothin but a good time.

12. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong

Resident [Any Field]
    I had a RATT t-shirt back in 6th grade. I was too young to go to the concert, but my older brother had a classmate that picked it up for me at the show. I used to wear it with parachute pants.

13. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Oh--My--Dog.

14. DiveMD

DiveMD Giggity giggity!!!
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Oh-My-Deity?