What's the deal with all the D.O.'s out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aagbay

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Get this. For the last couple months I have been trying to find a D.O. willing to talk to me or let me shadow him/her but none of them return phone calls. I'm from MA so it's tough to find a D.O. in the first place. The six that I did find in my area have neglected to return my calls. That is 0 out of 6. I've called each of them 2 or 3 times. What am I doing wrong? What do I have to do? Is anyone else having a problem with this? Thanks in advance for your replies, good luck on your search for a seat.

Members don't see this ad.

First, type up a short C.V./Bio on yourself. Include on it: personal info, academic info, health care experience/interest, professional goals, etc. Basically, provide them with all the information you would give them if they were writing you a recommendation. When you finish- hand deliver it, then follow up with a phone call a few days later. All that will prove your interests and motivation, and convince them that their time will be well spent.

First of all, have you ever done marketing or worked in health care at all!!?
If the physician is the LEAST bit busy, it is VERY doubtful he/she will have the time to call a pre-med, sorry that is the way it works. And if they did have the time, rarely will you see a physician making a personal phone call to talk to someone he doesn't even know.
So what do you do...try visiting the office (please make it at a time when it may be slow in the office). But perhaps the best way by far is to speak to his nurse. She typically knows more about the running of the office than he does. Be tactful, and you will get to shadow rather easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ewagner:
But perhaps the best way by far is to speak to his nurse. She typically knows more about the running of the office than he does.

Unless it's a female DO in which case you'll want to speak with HER nurse, which may be a male.
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by imu (edited 08-20-2000).]

It is accepted in the English language to use he or she, if you wish to argue statistics of gender in medicine we can also do that. Hell I guess a nurse could have been a true hermaphrodite, then would she-male have been appropriate?
Calm down, since when did the language police patrol this board?

me calm down? I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to this board, but you seem to be the uptight one. First you insult this person seeking help, asking if they've "spent anytime in health care at all". Then someone pokes a little fun at a sexist statement you make that seemed a little odd and you come unglued. I did include a smiley face you know. Lighten up.

If the nurse were a hermaphrodite you probably would still be ok with the use of he/she (as you did earlier in your post) I think the only time you might be in trouble with "language police" is if the nurse is a eunuch
smile.gif

aagbay, while ewagner's tact is lacking, the advice is sound. So was RDJ's. Put them together and you have a strong plan for getting what you need. Perseverance pays off. I had to call 12 before I found one who would help me. Hang in there and good luck.

I had the same exact problem. Through a pre-med club Open House (translation, bunch of medical schools came to visit the campus) I met a few D.O.s who were receptive to being shadowed. I hooked up w/ one of them and shadowed in his office one day a month. Additionally, he also wrote me my letters of recommendation for medical school. Worked out very well. Good luck to you.

IMU,

Listen, I have dealt with marketing and "gettin in" with physicians for a few years now, and it appeared as though this person was simply handling it from the wrong aspect. It is pretty hard to be "tactful" on a bulletin board considering all you can do is read the post and not hear "how" I am saying the words.

Personally, do it anyway you want to, I just wanted to help you do it in ONE phone call and not 20.
good luck

Call up the doctor and say "This is the doctor's sons school, little billy is bleeding profusely from his eyes, may we speak to Dr. So and So ?"
Then you trick him and say, "Hi I am a stupid premed, can I watch you give shots?"

By the way, all nurses are women...I like to call them chicks or sweet things.
imu,
Will you marry me, you sound like alot of fun!!!!

Originally posted by ewagner:
It is pretty hard to be "tactful" on a bulletin board considering all you can do is read the post and not hear "how" I am saying the words.

"You stupid f**king *****, don't you know to do it this way"

as opposed to

"Have you thought about trying..."

Yes, ewagner, you are right. It is all in how you say something and has nothing to do with word choice.
wink.gif

and while I'm flatterd to have received such a wonderful offer after only my third post, mr. farmer, I'm affraid I'll have to decline. ewagner's charming eloquence has stolen my heart.
smile.gif
But I'm sure there's a farmer's wife out there for you somewhere.

Good luck in your search. Your sweet thing,

IMU

IMU,

Well I know ewagner, and considering he is in med school and has spent a few years prior to med school in the medical field...you may want to get rid of a bit of the attitude...he knows the "ins and outs" and if you can't deal with a bit of straight forward talk then get a new career option!
Plus he is about 250 pounds so I think he would crush you on your honeymoon...I am more your type, sure you may be intimidated by intelligence and I may be a bit older than you (i would guess you are 18)...we can make beautiful wheatfarmer music together!

Let me sing a song

IMU, IMU
please get rid of the
attitude!
IMU, IMU
please mellow out and
have a brew!
IMU, IMU
you can't tell voice inflection on a bulletin board no matter how you try so stop having a fit if you can't tell how a person is talking you *****!

thank you, enjoy the buffet!

Oh, yes, I am bowing down to my one true love, ewagner, who is so knowledgeable about the medical field he doesn't have to be civil when replying to people. I'm truly blessed to have a love such as he who understands that words have no meaning, it is only voice inflection that conveys one's true message. Obviously the impetuousness of my youth prevented me from seeing clearly before. I am humbled before my sweet honey ewagner.

Now that I see the light I also understand that your calling me a ***** in your beautiful serenade was just an expression of affection and frustration for my unreturned love, and not meant belligerently. It was very kind of you to assume I judge people by appearance and therefore would not like my dearest manly ewagner, but it would just never work between you and I, Wheat. It's hard to be intimidated by intelligence I have not yet seen and I feel your inferiority complex would always come between us. No, my heart is lost forever to the all-knowing, ewagner who puts such thought into the words he speaks and is so gentle with others spirits.

But have faith dear wheat. There are many high schoolers that post on this board who I'm sure would find you fascinating.

Fondly always,

IMU

Hey, what is your deal? Drop it already. I don't even know you so I am not gonna argue with you.
This is just a silly little bulletin board, lets forget about it.
e

Can anyone say...B.I.T.T.E.R?

I don't think anyone's bitter. Must be lacking the vocal inflection to truly tell though
wink.gif

good luck in chiropractic school can you vocally inflect that?

O-kee dokey then...how 'bout them Sox?

....Anyways, back to the original topic, DOs in MA...

Aagbay, I live in Boston and have had some pretty good luck with contacting DOs. I got the name of a guy who'd probably be willing to meet with you regarding getting a letter. Email me if you're interested.

-d