whats the deal with anesthesiology?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by spreesbeers, Jun 8, 2001.

1. spreesbeers

spreesbeers Junior Member

why does this field seem so unattarctive to many U.S. graduates when it comes time to pick residencies? the unfilled match rate % is very low, around 1.3%. by looking at the numbers, a whopping 51% of the residents in anesthesiology are IMG's. from what i hear, anesthesiologists make a nice salary (median income is $225,000) have a nice lifestyle, decent hours, and not too many hours of on-call duty. five years ago, anesthesiology was a very popular specialty and very competitive to get into. now it is relatively easy to get. whats the deal? is it hard to find a job in this field? are CRNA's threathening the salaries of anesthesiologists? why does this field seem so unpopular? is the future bad in this field? please let me know ur thoughts. thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JS-UNMC

JS-UNMC Senior Member

The number of applicants for anesthesiology are going up again... getting more competetive. Anesth alternates valleys and troughs in numbers of applicant about every 5-6 years. The CRNA thing failed to be enacted... but they will try again in the near future I'm sure.

4. roo

roo Voice From The Wilderness

Attending Physician
    I finished off a rotation in Anesthetics, and talked to about 8 consultants about their choice of specialty , and prospects in the field (some of the operations were long, so time to talk). Bear in mind this is Ireland. Mileage in other parts of the world may vary, though it seemed quite a few did fellowships at one time or another in UK/US/Canada.

-One guy said that things were exciting for the first 3 years in practice, and by then the novelty wore off as knew most of the things.

-7 said relationships with surgeons weren't very strained (one thing I thought that happened more often before spending time). Seemed to get along well though, joking between cases, etc.

-2 said anesthetics as a specialty will be shrinking over the long term, as the procedures are 80-90% routine. They said that specially trained nurses will eventually do the routine procedures, and there will be 2 consultants going up and down the hallways of the theatres for the cases that go wrong, emergencies, and difficult intubations. [As a note, I saw no nurses doing any pts, only the consultants and house officers].

-3 said that pain management was one field that would grow significantly and requires trained anesthetics physicians only. [I spent some time in a chronic pain unit, kind of tough with the chronic pt's, but nice when they are helped with a spinal implant, etc].

-1 said not only have to choose what specialty on what you want to do, but also on what the market is. In Ireland, an optho job is hard to find, but can take your pick of anesthetics in many of the best hospitals, as there is a shortage.

-All seemed happy with their chosen specialty.

Hope that helps,
    roo