ErinG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
Can anyone tell me the requirements/any info about AOA (the honor society, not the American Osteopathic Association)? Thanks; just did a search and it turned up everything from match possibilities ("must be AOA") to, well, the American Osteopathic Association.

Don't know why it's so hard to find this stuff out--isn't it a national society??

fuegorama

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Status
ErinG said:
Can anyone tell me the requirements/any info about AOA (the honor society, not the American Osteopathic Association)? Thanks; just did a search and it turned up everything from match possibilities ("must be AOA") to, well, the American Osteopathic Association.

Don't know why it's so hard to find this stuff out--isn't it a national society??
AOA is the MD honor society. To the best of my knowledge, DOs are not eligible. If anyone knows differently, please let us know.
There is an osteopathic "honor society" but it is based on pre-clinical grades and does not include clinical faculty input.
There is also Sigma Sigma Phi the osteopathic "service fraternity".

Here's the AOA site. Good Luck.
http://www.alphaomegaalpha.org/

misyel

PGY-0
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
CA --> NY
Status
Medical Student
I've actually talked to our Dean here in NYCOM about establishing a chapter of the AOA. I went ahead and asked about the requirements. It seems that Osteopathic schools are eligible to have a chapter of the AOA, but they do have very stringent rules:

1) You need the dean to apply for the chapter
2) You would need the recommendation of 10 faculty members who are themselves AOA members

Now, considering that so far, only MD schools have AOA chapters, and DO schools for the most part have DO or PhD faculty members, what are the chances that a DO school could possibly gather enough MD faculty members, let alone those who are AOA members?

pathdawg

15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2004
Visit site
Status
ErinG said:

When I was a resident (at an MD hospital), one of the other residents was bragging about "being AOA". I remember thinking, "whats the big deal. You pay your dues and your in." Then I slowly realized she was referring to an honor society and I was thinking of the DO organization.
AOA is indeed an MD honor society, so its not a DO thing. No biggie.

OP
E

ErinG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
so, as an osteopathic student, how are you supposed to compare with the allopathic student who has aoa on his cv/transcript when vying for residency positions? Doesn't seem fair...

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
ErinG said:
so, as an osteopathic student, how are you supposed to compare with the allopathic student who has aoa on his cv/transcript when vying for residency positions? Doesn't seem fair...

I think it actually works in your favor as of now as being a DO applicant. As long as you have the top board scores to make the first cut, its not held against you for not being AOA because they know DO's are not eligible. So simply make the grades, and get the scores, and you are competitive.

I have not heard of an osteopathic honor society but I have heard of Sigma Sigma Phi, the osteopathic service fraternity (better known in my opinion as the honor society for the academically handicapped!! :laugh: )

In fact, I hate the way this society tries to advertise that they are "THE" honor society for DO world. It is deceiving to AMA faculty members who might actually exclude a DO for not being member of "THE" honor society. Its a freaking joke how these students are selected at our school. It was basically a "who you know" kind of entry and grades and "true extracurricular" activities were not part of the selection process. There are more people in our top 10% not in the society than in it, which speaks volumes for the credibility of this idiotic society. In fact, if I ever get asked by some program director why I am not in this society, I plan to use the "Who's Who" analogy. This means that this society is about as meaningful as getting your picture in the "Who's Who" in American Colleges book. Its about the "payment", and nothing to do with real qualifications. I detest anything like this. If you want to know if someone is really qualified, just look at their grades, their scores, their letters, and ask their attendings!!

fuegorama

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Status
PACtoDOC said:
Sigma Sigma Chi, the osteopathic service fraternity (better known in my opinion as the honor society for the academically handicapped!! :laugh: )
Uh....I think it's Sigma Sigma Phi.

Sigma Sigma Chai is a very sweet tea imbibed by sorority sisters. :D

fuegorama

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Status
There is an osteopathic honor society that is based soley on grades. Psi Sigma Alpha (PSA) takes the top 15% of the class. It is present at several COMs.

It differs from AOA by its selection process. AOA members must have good numbers in terms of class standing + they are selected by clinical faculty. There appears to be some variability in the selection process from school to school.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
fuegorama said:
There is an osteopathic honor society that is based soley on grades. Psi Sigma Alpha (PSA) takes the top 15% of the class. It is present at several COMs.

It differs from AOA by its selection process. AOA members must have good numbers in terms of class standing + they are selected by clinical faculty. There appears to be some variability in the selection process from school to school.
Sorry, but if there is not an honor society that grants eligibility to all DO students nationwide, then there is no honor society worth mentioning. How could you possibly compare one candidate versus another when not each school even has a chapter?

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Another honest query turns into yet another aimless, trivial discussion on SDN where people bash other people, other organizations, whatever, as not being good enough, smart enough, cool enough, important enough, etc., etc.

What's the point? Really? What are you accomplishing here?

Now I remember why come here so rarely anymore. I want the last 3 minutes of my life back....

fuegorama

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Status
PACtoDOC said:
Sorry, but if there is not an honor society that grants eligibility to all DO students nationwide, then there is no honor society worth mentioning. How could you possibly compare one candidate versus another when not each school even has a chapter?
How do I say "I COMPLETELY AGREE!"?

I'm right with ya. From what I know, PSA is a fairly bizarre organization in its myopic view of student doc honors. Pre-Clinical grades are the only portal.

The lack of consistency is just another detractor. There should be an organization like the AOA that can recognize DOs.

For now, I'm all for seeing more MD faculty associated with COMs. This would make AOA eligibility possible.
I believe it would have other benefits as well, but that is another thread.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
sophiejane said:
Another honest query turns into yet another aimless, trivial discussion on SDN where people bash other people, other organizations, whatever, as not being good enough, smart enough, cool enough, important enough, etc., etc.

Now I remember why come here so rarely anymore. I want the last 3 minutes of my life back....
Here's the deal SJ. This is a place to express opinions without fear of being judged. This place is not the real world, and it may or may not always suit your liking. Anytime this honor society gets brought up I make it my mission to express my opinion about how terrible an organization I believe this is. Myself and MANY other excellent candidates were passed over because we did not associate with the student leaders in the class above us who had the majority say as to who "got in" this honor society. It was not based on anything objective. This is not an organization that should be using school based websites supported by taxpayers to say that they are the "osteopathic honor society" because it lends itself to manipulate that anyone not admitted "did not cut the mustard". Bottom line...my stats, service, and dedication to my school, my profession, and friends is known and rather public. Tell me once when my name has not been posted on that damn list in the hall of the first floor? Tell me who led a club that did more community service than ours last year? Do you see where I am going with this? I am bitter that this "club" as I call it did not follow a set of logical guidelines when they chose some of the dimbicils that they did. I bet if they could go back in time that there are several that they would like to get out of the "club". First of all, its stupid to choose the members of an "honor society" in the first year of medical school. It is something that should be based on a cumulative total of many things, such as grades, rank, board scores, cummunity activism, volunteerism, mentorship, etc.. Thats where I will leave that SJ.

One more thing SJ; whether you know it or not, I went to bat for you and put myself in a real tough position for you last year when you decided to start the most heated and debated internet thread ever. There were many a person that wanted your freaking head and although I have never known you outside of this forum in any substantial way, I went personally to student leaders, and certain administrative high ups to say that I thought you had EVERY right to speak your mind on an anonymous, faceless internet forum. One even involved me having to wear a tie and a white coat when I could have been home drinking a cold one. So please allow irony to come full circle and give me my moment to vent. ;)

fuegorama

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Status
sophiejane said:

1.Actually the honest query has been answered. An opinion was offered.
It's a discussion board. Lighten up!
2. There is a sharing of opinions in a cool anonymous format. Actually on other parts of this forum there is real change being planned and acted upon. Interacting with others on this board has given me a broader view of what is happening in our profession.
3.C'mon back. It's fun.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
fuegorama said:
1.Actually the honest query has been answered. An opinion was offered.
It's a discussion board. Lighten up!
2. There is a sharing of opinions in a cool anonymous format. Actually on other parts of this forum there is real change being planned and acted upon. Interacting with others on this board has given me a broader view of what is happening in our profession.
3.C'mon back. It's fun.
Never met this Fuegorama but I am starting to take a liking!!

I agree SJ, get your ass back here :)

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
aw, shucks you guys...you're right...

I SHOULD be spending more time on this board and being non-productive with you crazy kids. ;)

you may regret asking me to come back on the board, though...I'm kind of a rabble rouser, you know...

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PACtoDOC said:
Here's the deal SJ. This is a place to express opinions without fear of being judged. This place is not the real world, and it may or may not always suit your liking. Anytime this honor society gets brought up I make it my mission to express my opinion about how terrible an organization I believe this is. Myself and MANY other excellent candidates were passed over because we did not associate with the student leaders in the class above us who had the majority say as to who "got in" this honor society. It was not based on anything objective. This is not an organization that should be using school based websites supported by taxpayers to say that they are the "osteopathic honor society" because it lends itself to manipulate that anyone not admitted "did not cut the mustard". Bottom line...my stats, service, and dedication to my school, my profession, and friends is known and rather public. Tell me once when my name has not been posted on that damn list in the hall of the first floor? Tell me who led a club that did more community service than ours last year? Do you see where I am going with this? I am bitter that this "club" as I call it did not follow a set of logical guidelines when they chose some of the dimbicils that they did. I bet if they could go back in time that there are several that they would like to get out of the "club". First of all, its stupid to choose the members of an "honor society" in the first year of medical school. It is something that should be based on a cumulative total of many things, such as grades, rank, board scores, cummunity activism, volunteerism, mentorship, etc.. Thats where I will leave that SJ.

One more thing SJ; whether you know it or not, I went to bat for you and put myself in a real tough position for you last year when you decided to start the most heated and debated internet thread ever. There were many a person that wanted your freaking head and although I have never known you outside of this forum in any substantial way, I went personally to student leaders, and certain administrative high ups to say that I thought you had EVERY right to speak your mind on an anonymous, faceless internet forum. One even involved me having to wear a tie and a white coat when I could have been home drinking a cold one. So please allow irony to come full circle and give me my moment to vent. ;)

1. We all know you are on the dean's list x 4 (so far), and we now know it was an terrible injustice that you were not among the chosen few to get to do 4 extra service hours per year for the honor of adding an easily overlooked blurb at the end of your CV. ;) It's a CLUB--no more, no less. AOA means a lot in the MD world, SSP means very little in the DO world. I agree with you on that. I just don't think you need to slam it (or the "academically handicapped" ******s like myself who are only in the top 40% and not the top 15% of my class) quite so hard.

2. ...are you talking about the thread about your (and now my) COMLEX-cheating classmate? (not to stir up old wounds but this still burns me...) I had no idea you had to wear a tie for my sake, for crying out loud. It appears I owe YOU a cold one--name the time and place! (Bull and Bush perhaps??)

OMG...3 posts in one day..here I go again....

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
sophiejane said:
1. We all know you are on the dean's list x 4 (so far), and we now know it was an terrible injustice that you were not among the chosen few to get to do 4 extra service hours per year for the honor of adding an easily overlooked blurb at the end of your CV. ;) It's a CLUB--no more, no less. AOA means a lot in the MD world, SSP means very little in the DO world. I agree with you on that. I just don't think you need to slam it (or the "academically handicapped" ******s like myself who are only in the top 40% and not the top 15% of my class) quite so hard.

2. ...are you talking about the thread about your (and now my) COMLEX-cheating classmate? (not to stir up old wounds but this still burns me...) I had no idea you had to wear a tie for my sake, for crying out loud. It appears I owe YOU a cold one--name the time and place! (Bull and Bush perhaps??)

OMG...3 posts in one day..here I go again....
No, you don't owe me anything. I would have done the same thing for anyone else because it was the principle of the situtation. I have damn near come close to dying to help people maintain that right, and whether I am a right winger or a left winger, I just don't believe that anyone can take that right away. So don't get too excited thinking I had some sort of secret crush on you or something!! And yes, a club we will call it, because then to me its no big deal. I have been thrown out of many a club, just never before I made it through the door. :D

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WHAT???

NO SECRET CRUSH???

I AM DEVASTATED!! :(

ok, this thread is now sufficiently off-topic. My work here is done.

signing off...