What's the deal with carry ons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jargon124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help. I am leaving for NYC on Thursday morning and between that and finals I feel so unprepared for interviews. But my question is with regard to the new rules about carry on luggage. Ideally, I would like to carry on everything. I will be taking: my suit (in a sleeve thingy), a briefcase size portfolio bag, and a small duffle-type bag with my extra clothes. Do you think I will be allowed to carry all this on? I have heard that the new limit is one item, but also that suitcases/notebook computer type bags don't count as an item. Can anyone advise me and shed some light? Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Check out <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006398" target="_blank">this thread</a> for some recent discussion of this issue. It would be nice to have a little more protection for your suit than that sleeve thingy, plus your arm will get tired holding it up! I'm definitely a proponent of garment bags. If you don't have one, ask for one for Christmas! Good luck with your finals and your interview (s?)!! :D

Jargon-

I don't know what airline you are flying, but I fly with USAir. They make specific announcements before you board the plane that you are allowed 1 carry-on item and 1 personal item. Your carry-on item must fit in the overhead and while some flight attendents are nice and let you hang your suit bag, others are not, especially when your flight is crowded. I've flown to NYC twice and both times my flight was booked, so I could not hang my suit (I'm a girl, it didn't matter too much.) Your personal item can be a purse, a laptop bag, or a very small backpack. The last one is controversial though. Some airlines consider a backpack a carry-on, others consider it a personal item. You may want to call the carrier beforehand. Good luck with getting to NYC and on your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've flown 3 times since Sept 11. and used my backpack (stuffed to capacity) as a personal item (and carried a small suitcase as my carry-on) and no one has said anything to me.

Bastards made me check all my bags b/c I am a male who I guess is considered "suspicious"...must be b/c I look like Tom Cruise....

Thanks to everyone for your imput. I am planning to take my "suit sleeve" (sorry SMW, no time or motivation to buy a garment bag right now - but thanks for the advice, I will look into getting one soon) and "briefcase thingy" on board as carry-ons and I will check my "clothes bag". I really hope they don't hassle me about the briefcase thing being a personal item/not...Ugh what a mess... :(

The general consensus on airlines is 1 carry on bag and 1 backpack like bag/portfolio.

Hang your suit in the airplane

Sorry Jargon, I forgot to mention the personal item for most airlines is a purse, laptop carrier, backpack or briefcase! You should be fine :) Also, is there any way you could fold your suit sleeve and put it in your carry-on bag? My rolling suitcase came with a very thin suit sleeve and usually i can tri-fold it (no wrinkles) and place it on top.

Jargon, if you are leaving out of Tucson, they will only let you take one bag on the plane, and it will have to fit in this little container they have to see if it fits.

How did your semester go? I only have two finals and have been enjoying the weather in the few days that I have off. Winter classes start Monday.

Uh oh. Yes, I am leaving from Tucson, and I'm flying Northwest Airlines. I'm gonna have to call them and find out exactly what their policy is.

ewells - My semester has been great. I have been lazy and doing basically no work! Only one more final left - coming up this Wednesday for genetics. Then I leave for NYC on Thursday and come back Sunday only to go back to school Monday. I am taking winter session too! What a coincidence. What are you taking? Business Ethics here.

All I need to take to graduate is upper division electives, so I am taking an English Lit class that sounded interesting. I am planning on enjoying my last semester.