Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

whats the deal with kaplan practice exams

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by sandhar, Mar 31, 2001.

1. sandhar

sandhar Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello, i a asking this question to all the people that have taken kaplan or are taking it right now. I find that there practice exams especially verbal and physical tend to be extremely difficult, with lots of calculation. I have heard people say that they make them tough intentionally. Any one out there feels the same way.

2. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

Hey, I agree Kaplan is tough. I've heard that the Verbal is close to the real thing, although I took Test #5 today and got beat up by the Verbal because I didn't have enough time to finish. That has never happened to me before this. The Physical Science section was long, but I could do a good majority of the problems. I just once again, didn't get to all the passages!! [​IMG]
    The bio section on this one was okay, I guess the orgo is the only thing I'm having some trouble with. Lets hope the real MCAT is slightly easier and I'll have time to finish. If you have questions on any of the problems of the PS or BS section, you can email me with ?'s, I'll be glad to try to help answer some of them. Email me at [email protected]

Mossjoh

3. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I, too, am currently taking Kaplan, and I find that their PS practice sections and full lengths are pretty tough. Have you tried the AAMC practice tests that they have? I found those to be a little more "cushy" on the ego when I was feeling bad (i.e., not doing so hot on the PS tests that Kaplan makes up).

I have heard from several friends that the PS section on the actual MCAT isn't quite so many calculations, but I'm not positive. As far as verbal, I seem to be doing okay, but there are a lot of people in my class who have a hard time finishing. Are you skipping around? I found that the more I practice prioritizing the passages, the better I do.

Hope that I helped at least a little. [​IMG] Good luck.

4. sandhar

sandhar Member
    10+ Year Member

I actually wrote the practice test # 3 today. I manage to finish the verbal and bio. lefet 3 or 4 on physical though, it was pretty hard.
    I havent tried the aamc stuff yet but that is what i am trying next.
    I hope i can survive this fight.

5. mike_D

mike_D Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm also taking Kaplan and its the same all around........everyone bubbling in answers until the proctor calls for time. I have heard from various people who have said that the real thing is somewhat easier and that Kaplan makes the tests increasingly more difficult. I've been scoring in the high 20's and low 30's on Kaplan, but got a 32 on an AAMC test the first time I took it. The verbal was a joke compared to Kaplan. Hope the AAMC stuff is closer.